U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:46 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,243,428 times

Advertisements

While I'm not retired, I enjoy being able to get out and do something any day of the year. In the summer I spend I more time in the water than on top of it. I can play golf all year long without seeing a well placed ball bounce off a frozen green. Most of the year I don't need A/C and I never need heat. I dress casual. I have 5 pair of flip flops. I never wear a tie. I fish year round without the aide of an ice auger. I raise orchids in my backyard.
I see people in there 90's out playing tennis, walking, biking, swimming in the gulf.
Southwest Florida is not for everyone, but there are a lot of positives, and yes the weather is the thing that helps make this a year round active place to live. Now I have to go back out into that hot humid summer weather I love so much....the pool calls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 02:52 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
My parents retired to the south. I hate it down there. It makes it hard to make me want to visit. They say it is warm, but it's just weather so I mean is it that important? Plus you sweat all the time down there. I'm talking about the southeast. The south has no good cities and it is either country or sprawl so why would anyone retire there or even live there? Is it too expensive to retire to real cities?
If you are always this positive about the lives of others and always have such a condescending attitude one might wonder if they moved to get away from you. Think about it if they know you won't visit and they still did it, what does that say about their priorities?

Old 09-26-2009, 05:36 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland
... New England has gorgeous countryside but that's very expensive too.
We moved to New England for our retirement due to the extreme low cost-of-living and low taxes here.

Maybe you should try up North.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:43 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
... Also, the expense part of things. Even if my house were fully paid off today, I'd still be paying $450/month for taxes and insurance, and going up all the time. ...
In one month you pay about nine times more than what we have been paying annually.

Quote:
... I see that housing is a lot less in many hot and humid places. I'm hanging on hoping to stay here or be somewhere colder.
I see houses that sell for $40k to $60k, and you say that down South they are a lot cheaper?

Where down South are homes cheaper than they are up here in New England?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:37 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,208,771 times
Not having to shovel snow is probably huge. Not having ice is also a big factor. I'm thinking as people age they just might be less able and willing to shovel, snowblow and manuver in all that crap! No snow and ice makes a lot of sense to me at least

Old 09-26-2009, 07:29 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Quote:
Ok look I'm sorry I got carried away with the tone in my post. Hope this can stay on topic.

Your going to have to wait until your older to know. As you age you can take teh cold evry well;at least most people. Its really easier to take the heat as long as you have some many places air conditioned and older people are not workig out side much. Its also easier to get around. The there is the fact that most older people are more accustomed to a slower pace and things not being as crazy and cities tend to change more; quicker.Many find themselves looking for the life they were use to in their earlier years.COL of living is cheaper.the pace much slower and IMO people have more time for people and are not so guarded as they are in the northeast where my family is from. They make eye contact easier and are more use to greeting even starngers as they pass.Its easy to strikeup conversation which makes it easy to make new friends. There are excepttion but that is what i have found. The older you get in a city the more you feel that your a forgotten ant in a big pile really as things move beyond you.Few older people want the nightlife in a city and the dangers they feel ;right or wrong. They want a uncrowded area where they can walk without be tramped because they are older. I always now feel older when I am in a city which is much different than when I was young. I've changed alot in my tastes and I think you might too.I am how 62.Its not about you in the end ; its baout their life and what they want.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 PM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We moved to New England for our retirement due to the extreme low cost-of-living and low taxes here.

Yeh, but you're up in Maine. I know it's really cheap up there and probably really nice too with lots of space. I'm used to semi rural areas of Mass because that's where I've lived my entire life and that's what feels homey to me. Some people have a thing for Maine -- and NH too but I'm originally from Western Mass so Vermont is more homey to me. AND I don't want to freeze anything off living up in Vermont either.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:21 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I'm already up north. I don't care how cheap it is if it's winter I'll pass.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:36 PM

7,414 posts, read 12,949,839 times
My step daughter's husband is in the Army, stationed at Ft. Campbell, Ky. on the Ky/Tn line. This is his second time stationed here. This time he request it. He said during his first time here, even before he met my step daughter, he knew he wanted to retire from the military here in western Kentucky. He's originally from Pennsylvania. He said people in this area are so friendly and helpful, plus the country side is great. I know we're not really "south" here, but we're close!
As far as prices they bought a 4 br, 2 bath house sitting on 12.5 acres about 8 miles from town for $130,000. A friend of my parents moved to the area from Connecticur and was surprised when she went to pay her property taxes. Couldn't believe how cheap taxes were and asked when the next payment was due. She was used to quarterly I think. Was really surprised when they told her she was good for the year!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 PM

23 posts, read 20,245 times
Quote:
My parents retired to the south. I hate it down there. It makes it hard to make me want to visit. They say it is warm, but it's just weather so I mean is it that important? Plus you sweat all the time down there. I'm talking about the southeast. The south has no good cities and it is either country or sprawl so why would anyone retire there or even live there? Is it too expensive to retire to real cities?
Hey Daaaaaave, Did I get the number of a's right? LOL.My son is named Dave and we retired in the winter only to the south, but someplace exciting, we live 7 miles north of Disneyworld and 10 miles west of Universal and it's FUN! If you're going to retire, might as well do it, where you can have fun. In fact, we haven't even made it to the beaches yet, there's so much to do here. If anyone mentions the traffic, we don't have that problem, we take all the city roads to these places, not the major thoroughfares, the tourists take. So our Dave likes coming here! Weahterwise, the falls, winters and springs are HEAVEN, lower humidity, 40%, than the uppermidwest which is usually 100%. July, Aug and Sept are hot , 90's, but we stay in air-conditoning so who cares!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or