U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 PM

161 posts, read 428,803 times

Advertisements

I'm more inclined to ask why don't MORE people retire to the south.
After 60 years of freakin' snow, ice, sand and salt, long cold nights and frequent gloomy overcast ... you finally get your fill, ya know?
It's not so much an inability to handle the winters. It's more like, why would you want to?
My personal preference is the desert southwest. Less humidity, but more heat. But I would consider all reasonable alternatives to winter. Somebody in another thread claimed that you don't have to shovel sunshine. That about sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,702,783 times
Smile We are already here

Already live in Florida, really like it. When I was a kid, my dad (RIP) made that decision for us. I was angry at the time but it's been great.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:13 AM

28,263 posts, read 39,927,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Lots of reasons to head south. We jusy landed in SW Missouri in the Tri-Lakes area which is a lovely mixture of Southern and Mid-Western.

Our reasons were many and chief among them was/is liveability. We have come from the two season, Northern California area to a land of four distinct seasons, none of them particularly harsh. Wildlife abounds. The people are friendly, hospitable and welcoming. There's a true sense of history and tradition and God and Country are concepts that aren't merely accepted but freely expressed and celebrated. The area is readily and handily affordable. It's not crowded and I'm beginning to forget what traffic is like. The air is clean and the stars shine brightly with minimal ambient light to obscure the view of the night sky. Patriotism and appreciation for veterans predominates. People wave when they pass by and you can wave back without fear of negative consequences. No one appears to be in a rush and I have yet to observe one instance of road rage. Drivers are considerate. Youth are not apparently tattooed and pierced and are polite. Hometown pride and loyalty are evident. Children actually play outside and do so safely and without fear. I could go on.

In short, we've returned to America, and we love it!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/AniUSFlag.gif (broken link)

Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 AM

1,287 posts, read 2,519,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
My parents retired to the south. I hate it down there. It makes it hard to make me want to visit. They say it is warm, but it's just weather so I mean is it that important? Plus you sweat all the time down there. I'm talking about the southeast. The south has no good cities and it is either country or sprawl so why would anyone retire there or even live there? Is it too expensive to retire to real cities?
Man, oh man.... It's not about you, you know. It's about your parents.

When you get to be a certain age and have ailments like arthritis, the cold can be physically painful. And that's not even dealing with shoveling snow, which causes its own spectrum of pain. Oh, yeah, sure, you can pay to have the snow removed, but that gets expensive, and older people on fixed incomes can't always afford that.

I'd rather sweat than shiver.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 AM

1,287 posts, read 2,519,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Not having to shovel snow is probably huge. Not having ice is also a big factor. I'm thinking as people age they just might be less able and willing to shovel, snowblow and manuver in all that crap! No snow and ice makes a lot of sense to me at least
Amen!

I've spent my last winter shoveling and cleaning off the car before work. My husband retired in '06, and I retired this June. We bought a house in Florida and we're selling our house in NJ, and will be heading south in November.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:05 AM

55,668 posts, read 74,663,884 times
bek the people are a lil bit more polite
you cant get chiggers ticks and fire ants at a decent price here.
sauna is expensive here and free there
how am i doin?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:15 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,836,456 times
I can go without heat or A/C eight months of the year. 300+ days of Sunshine. Yesterday hit 90 but with that nice mountain breeze and very low humitidity it's fine as long as you stay out of the sun in the late afternoon. In the winter I can see snow on the mountains but not in town

Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM

227 posts, read 737,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Dave - give your parents a break and table your preconceived generalizations and stereotypes - you need to open your mind to new ideas and new places and stop being so selfish.

Our children were not happy about us moving, although they all live in different states or countries (we have allowed them to make choices about where they want to live - without any disparaging words or critcism). One by one they have visited us in KY and each fell instantly in love with KY....it was not what they were expecting at all. One son has visited 3 times, our oldest will be here in less than 3 weeks with 3 of his children. They love it here as do we.

It is an adjustment for adult children to realize that their parents have desires and dreams beyond being a parent and grandparent. We love our family very much and see them as often as we can and as their busy schedules permit, but we have worked hard for our family all of our lives and considered our children's feelings, needs and wellbeing always before our own....it is now our time to think of ourselves just a bit. Please try to not be so selfish. Allow your parents the freedom to live their own dreams in their retirement years.
They have been in SC for 2 years and honestly I don't think my Dad likes it there. Mom says she does, but I think she just wants to. I think a lot of times people retire to the south to get away from the stress o the north, but really the stress is the job and when you aren't working, you shouldn't be stressed. Even if you live in New York City!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,969,370 times
I don't know Dave - my husband worked for LAPD (Los Angeles Police) for 34 years - is there a more stressful job that you know of? He absolutely loves it here in KY - but then there is so much to love.

Is it that you don't like So. Carolina or is it that you are concerned that your parents don't really like it there, or a little of both?

I agree that there are areas of the South that are quite rural and inconvenient by some standards. But there are fabulous places in the south with tons to do and really a higher standard of living overall than many other areas in the U.S. You shouldn't make a generalized denouncement of the whole south - that is a insult to many of us to live here and love it.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:07 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,762,541 times
Well, let's see.

1) Lower cost of living, particularly with housing and overall taxes.
2) More pleasant weather, particularly in winter. Sure, July and August are hot. But you more than make up for that in January and February. I don't know about you, but I can still go outside in January living in the South without dressing as if I were about go arctic exploring.
3) Less hectic. And, by the way, there are lots of really nice cities in the South. Quit basing your assumptions on old reruns of In The Heat Of The Night. We enjoy a broad range of cultural activities, nice restaurants, and fun.
4) More civility. Sorry, once you live in a place where cashiers say "Thank You" like they really mean it, the children have manners, and people actually appear to give a rip about other people immediately outside their circle of friends and neighbors, it tends to be quite jarring when you go back to your hometown. Every time I go back up north, I am shocked at the casual rudeness of people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or