U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:03 PM

1,287 posts, read 2,518,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I agree. My wife's asthma is easily triggered by cold weather. And, any temp lower than about 20F I find I cannot tolerate at all...can't work outside for more than about 15 minutes at a time. The idea that one "gets used to it" regarding cold weather, is a bunch of hooey. If anything, my tolerance for cold weather is much less than when I was younger...

Bud
Same here, Bud. When I was a kid, I used to play in the snow for hours, and never noticed the cold. Now? I don't even want to walk outside to the car.

And in the winter, any cold I get turns to bronchitis in short order -- which means a round of antibiotics which does horrible things to my stomach. Summer colds stay colds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 09:28 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,315,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
They can stay in the north and leave more room in Florida for us.
We retired north, love the 4 seasons, and even the snow. The heat and humidity of the south smother me. We go to Hawaii for a month or so in the winter but it doesn't have the oppressive humidity of the mainland south. Yes, be my guest to Florida, it's all yours.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:28 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,455,895 times
----Why do people retire to the south------

#1-----weather ( milder winters)
#2-----lower cost of living

( and I'll bet if it wasn't for family, even more people would be doing so )

Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We retired north, love the 4 seasons, and even the snow. The heat and humidity of the south smother me. We go to Hawaii for a month or so in the winter but it doesn't have the oppressive humidity of the mainland south. Yes, be my guest to Florida, it's all yours.
Thank you -- we'll be very happy to have it. So will my arthritis and my husband's degenerative disk disease, both of which are unbearable in the winter and much more manageable in heat and humidity.

And the four seasons are highly overrated.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:39 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,967,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Because I was stupid. North Carolina Bible Belt is pretty myopic and backward thinking. Probably will move when the market gets better.

What part of North Carolina? I lived in Fayetteville for 2 1/2 years. I loved it. It wasn't Bible Belt there, that's for sure. There were so many bars and restuarants there (more than in Prescott, Az.), that's for sure!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:43 AM

29 posts, read 71,323 times
I know a lot of people have sent replies to this thread , but I'd thought I will put my 2 cents worth in

I am only 29 years old and have lived in a big city for most of my life (I was actually born in London, UK )

But I love the south and I will retire down here , I love the laid back attitude and all the space that you can enjoy

I do not miss traffic , Emergency vehicle sirens , Gangs hanging around when I am out in the "country"

Ok it might not be everyones taste but to me this is " Home" and where I want my Kids to grow up ,

Rant Over

Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,805,987 times
westtexas28, I'm glad you found "Home" for you. That's the most important thing.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,315,622 times
Quote:
Thank you -- we'll be very happy to have it. So will my arthritis and my husband's degenerative disk disease, both of which are unbearable in the winter and much more manageable in heat and humidity.

And the four seasons are highly overrated.
Sorry about your medical conditions, I can understand why you would prefer the south. For us, the four seasons are a welcoming change every few months, each has its unique beauty. They may be overrated for you, but there are many of us that enjoy them.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Sorry about your medical conditions, I can understand why you would prefer the south. For us, the four seasons are a welcoming change every few months, each has its unique beauty. They may be overrated for you, but there are many of us that enjoy them.
I understand that. But to me, the four seasons mean pain and discomfort, bare trees, grey skies, mud, ice, snow. None of that is in any way enjoyable. I want green growing things and sun all year long. I want to wake up with a smile instead of a shiver.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:32 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,013,120 times
Quote:
I understand that. But to me, the four seasons mean pain and discomfort, bare trees, grey skies, mud, ice, snow. None of that is in any way enjoyable. I want green growing things and sun all year long. I want to wake up with a smile instead of a shiver.
I soooooo agree with you. I'm anxious to leave this climate and enjoy daily sunshine and warmth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or