U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:36 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,951,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
I understand that. But to me, the four seasons mean pain and discomfort, bare trees, grey skies, mud, ice, snow. None of that is in any way enjoyable. I want green growing things and sun all year long. I want to wake up with a smile instead of a shiver.
That is so true.
It was a short cold wet summer up here....had less then a month of good weather. Strange.

Folks do not realize how "rushed" we are up here preparing for the changes of the weather. I spent hours (backbreaking work) cutting down all the nice plantings around the house preparing for winter. This has to be done before spring.

Putting up snow fences, working on the snowblower, getting the car ready for winter, putting all liquids from the garage to the cellar so they don't freeze, winterizing everything, getting the fireplace set, closing the pool, etc,etc.

There are also other things you have to do for the other seasons.

In Florida there is none of that. Sure, you are trimming plants all year, etc, but it is at a constant, leisurely pace.

It has already snowed here this week. I can't get to Florida fast enough.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,920,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
There is also the issue of age. As we humans get older many develop aches and pains. Warmer climates are kinder to arthritis, etc.
That's the way we feel. The cold is hard on my husband's joints. Also, shoveling snow and scraping ice off a windshield gets old.

As I get older, the more I appreciate the slower pace of the south. There was a time when I wanted to get in and out of grocery stores as quickly as possible and not waste time talking to anyone in line. Now I like seeing friends, stopping to chat, etc.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 AM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
My father has arthritis, so I do understand that medical issues that make a person want to avoid the North.

Shoveling snow is an activity for those who commute to work. My Dw commutes, so I have a snow-blower on my tractor. In 30-minutes I can clear our 100-yard driveway for her to easily get in/out. Then I go clear driveways for neighbors. One pair of our neighbors, have both been retired for 20+ years. Last winter they decided that there is no real need for them to have their driveway cleared. They simply do not go anywhere on a daily basis. After each storm, they are fine to simply wait a couple days for the snow to go away on it's own.

Snow clearing is an activity for those who work [non-retirees], and retirees like me who have not settled down yet and who want to still get out and about each day.

As for scraping ice, many people around here own garages. We have a garage on our house.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:39 AM

530 posts, read 1,185,228 times
I have arthritis, and live in Vermont. I retired last year but I wouldn't dream of going south. I lived in South Carolina for three years in the early 90's but I found the weather oppressive. I will take the cold over the heat and humidity any day. Nothing was more depressing to me than the holidays without snow and the beautiful New England downtowns all decked out in lights. I deplore shoveling, and my joints ache more in winter, but that's the price I pay to stay in Vermont as I age.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
I have arthritis, and live in Vermont. I retired last year but I wouldn't dream of going south. I lived in South Carolina for three years in the early 90's but I found the weather oppressive. I will take the cold over the heat and humidity any day. Nothing was more depressing to me than the holidays without snow and the beautiful New England downtowns all decked out in lights. I deplore shoveling, and my joints ache more in winter, but that's the price I pay to stay in Vermont as I age.
May I suggest that you look at small tractors with blowers on them?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Why ot just ask your aprents why they prefer it and why thye wanted to move for where they were. liekly the same as most who move southward or westward rather than northward. The life i a cold clinmate;the slower pace of life nw that they can choose.

Last edited by texdav; 05-15-2012 at 10:24 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 02:58 PM

530 posts, read 1,185,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
May I suggest that you look at small tractors with blowers on them?
Would love to...but my house sits on a very small 50 x 100 lot, so all I have is a short stretch of driveway and my walk. Certainly not much! I just whine about the snow removal, but at the end of the day, I would rather live here than anywhere else.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Because I was stupid. North Carolina Bible Belt is pretty myopic and backward thinking. Probably will move when the market gets better.
Backwards is a matter of opinion and some say its more like america from year ago. Why would anyone move to Bible belt who hates reglion is beyond me really.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,965,185 times
We retired to the upper south - love Louisville - it is a great city with lots to do and close to where we live...love all the green, the water, the rolling hills...people are more laid back, more polite, less hectic. We have had a long wonderful spring. The summers are no problem but the winters are not my favorite...this past winter was a breeze and mild but it can be very cold here....hey, that is what Florida is for....escape for a few weeks after Christmas, come home and spring starts in March....we adapted - we are much more used to the cold/hot than we thought we would ever be....the plusses far outweight the negatives.

To the OP - you say you don't like visiting your parents because of the weather? Come, now is that really why you don't like visiting your parents?

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-15-2012 at 11:05 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,629,477 times
Three wise words for Old Man WINTER:

NO BROKEN HIP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or