U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:53 PM

2,918 posts, read 2,446,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Seems to me grocers were around since the beginning of our country.

I doubt the tea talked about in the colonial days was sold only in hardware stores
As I said "groceries" come under the category of "survival" I mentioned in the first post. That's what money is useful for. Anything else like happiness creativity imagination innovation and our inner resources and money has no value. The recourses generate the value. Like the expression says money isn't a companies value its people are.

Last edited by RichardW; 10-03-2009 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 05:27 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,492,826 times
Read history of Germany in 1920's folks, can happen here too.
Money is an delusion, at the end of the day a trap that keeps you heart from living the life it wants to live.

Native American standard morning greeting was "It's a good day to die".not meaning they were necessarily hoping for same that day, but recognizing the fact that a life not lived in the moment was a life not worth living.

Someone put it"the masses of men live lives of quiet desperation"

Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,462,004 times
----"It's a good day to die"--

The only time I heard that saying it was in a paperback about accounts from troops during WWII.

During a landing at daybreak in the South Pacific, the troops were told to look to their left and look to their right------3 men accounted for.

They were told ----" when that sun that is about to rise sets tonight, only one of you will be alive.

Many young guys were shaking and some were wetting their pants.
A more seasoned guy stood up, took a drag on a cigarette , looked to the dawn in the east and said--------" It's a good day to die "

Sorry to go off topic, continue on.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 PM

354 posts, read 1,089,777 times
Money does offer a degree of security. If you are strapped and not quite making it from pay check to pay check it is just a fact of life that something is going to happen once in a while that will cause you a hardship. It is especially true when you are responsible for supporting a family.

Having a bit put aside to buffer against the minor calamities you can reasonably expect can change your outlook and your life.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 AM

12,705 posts, read 14,085,285 times
Quote:

The only time I heard that saying it was in a paperback about accounts from troops during WWII.

During a landing at daybreak in the South Pacific, the troops were told to look to their left and look to their right------3 men accounted for.

They were told ----" when that sun that is about to rise sets tonight, only one of you will be alive.

Many young guys were shaking and some were wetting their pants.
A more seasoned guy stood up, took a drag on a cigarette , looked to the dawn in the east and said--------" It's a good day to die "

Sorry to go off topic, continue on.
The guy who stood up was John Wayne.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 AM

12,705 posts, read 14,085,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
...Like the expression says money isn't a companies value its people are.
A company's value is that it can sell its goods or services.

Its people can be the salt of the earth, but if what they produce or do does not sell it is irrelevant that they are.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 AM

819 posts, read 1,363,987 times
Here's one way I look at about having money.

If you have a problem and it takes money to fix it, and you have the money to fix it, then you don't have a problem.

This is not original to me - but was passed on by a friend.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:18 PM

11,255 posts, read 11,270,617 times
Quote:

At the risk of turning this into a Movie thread, Chief Dan George and Dustin Hoffman also said it in "Little Big Man". Sorry, back on topic.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,708,564 times
ior
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
Here's one way I look at about having money.

If you have a problem and it takes money to fix it, and you have the money to fix it, then you don't have a problem.

This is not original to me - but was passed on by a friend.
Nope, If anything this is a grand example of "just throw money at and it will go away". People need to learn to think things through to find other solutions to all their needs and problems.

A savvy person learns how to do much with little to no money.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:41 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,462,004 times
" little money"------yes
"no money"----------no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or