U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 AM

30,775 posts, read 49,627,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I'm sorry, this caught my eye:

The Federal govt. runs a grocery store?
Yes, DECA [Defense Commissary Agency] is a worldwide chain of 284 grocery stores.

Commissaries.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 AM

7,456 posts, read 11,580,551 times
Interesting discussion, thanks to all that have replied so far.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,074,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes, DECA [Defense Commissary Agency] is a worldwide chain of 284 grocery stores.

Commissaries.com
Oh, yes - the military base stores. Another low caost advantage you have that most of us do not. I never called them grocery stores - just the commissary and PX when we were military dependents and could go to them lo those many years ago.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Oh, yes - the military base stores. Another low caost advantage you have that most of us do not. I never called them grocery stores - just the commissary and PX when we were military dependents and could go to them lo those many years ago.
???

We do not shop at the commissary.

I am an 'authorized' shopper, so we could buy stuff there. But it is far more expensive to buy food on-base.

We price compare and buy things off base.

Let me clarify, meat tends to be cheaper on-base. However we do not buy our meat on-base. We produce meat, so we eat our meat instead. Otherwise most other products that the commissary offers can be purchased for lower prices off base.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,074,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
???

We do not shop at the commissary.

I am an 'authorized' shopper, so we could buy stuff there. But it is far more expensive to buy food on-base.

We price compare and buy things off base.

Let me clarify, meat tends to be cheaper on-base. However we do not buy our meat on-base. We produce meat, so we eat our meat instead. Otherwise most other products that the commissary offers can be purchased for lower prices off base.

Interesting. Back in the 1960's, the commissaries were considerably less expensive. but that was a long time ago and must have changed. I would think your own home raised meat would also be healthier and taste better.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Back in the 1960's, the commissaries were considerably less expensive. but that was a long time ago and must have changed. I would think your own home raised meat would also be healthier and taste better.
Yes. When I was a teen, friends of mine were a military family. They swore by the Commissary and PX.

Years later, during my AD career, my Dw was very active with coupon clipping groups at the base 'Family Service Center'. Apparently by clipping coupons you could save a great deal.

DECA sets their prices by the national average of grocery store prices. In expensive areas the local stores set their prices high, so the Commissary has good prices. In depressed areas, the local store chains have better prices.

Also coupons today offer smaller discounts, and core items have no coupons [flour, sugar, pasta, tuna, tomato paste, etc]. Today the coupons are less and focus on prepared meals [which are more expensive anyway].

We are in a depressed area, so the local chains have lower prices. Plus they have generics and store brands; whereas the Commissary only stocks nationwide name brands [no generics and no store brands].

I still visit my old friends [from when I was a teen] they live out in California, and today they no longer shop at the Commissary. They do much better now by shopping off-base.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:27 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,882,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
At the age of 31 would you? If not why not? and if so what would you get upto with your free time?
Would and did at 53. Never looked back and never did another days work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement