Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 AM

7,092 posts, read 12,616,439 times

Advertisements

Oh no, I don't want to live on an ice berg--I want to die on an iceberg instead of in a nursing home being poked, jabbed and IV'd...

What I was trying to get across is that there are other end of life options instead of medical 'system' institutionalized ways... I love nature and I'd rather go out with trees, water and sky than in a sterile environment...

Seems to me we have such a fear of death in our country that we make dying a medical emergency instead of a natural passage...

Old age and dying are part of the wheel of life...many older people are ready to go when the time comes--but are prevented from doing so by procedures and medications...

For instance, my 91 year old MIL is ready to pass (she's told us so) and is mad as heck that her pacemaker is keeping her going...she does have a DNR in place...

Where's the dignity??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,372,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Oh no, I don't want to live on an ice berg--I want to die on an iceberg instead of in a nursing home being poked, jabbed and IV'd...

What I was trying to get across is that there are other end of life options instead of medical 'system' institutionalized ways... I love nature and I'd rather go out with trees, water and sky than in a sterile environment...

Seems to me we have such a fear of death in our country that we make dying a medical emergency instead of a natural passage...

Old age and dying are part of the wheel of life...many older people are ready to go when the time comes--but are prevented from doing so by procedures and medications...

For instance, my 91 year old MIL is ready to pass (she's told us so) and is mad as heck that her pacemaker is keeping her going...she does have a DNR in place...

Where's the dignity??
Ignoring my previous joke, based upon auditing over 500 nursing homes in my career, I agree with you. Although my colleagues have sworn an oath to preserve life, none of them speak positively about the thought of ending life in an institution when it is personalized.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:42 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,516,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Income can go down for secondary reasons too, such as lower overall tax liabilities. When you figure the tax free (full or partial, depending upon your income) Social Security income, plus not paying Medicare or Social Security taxes on your retired income, and the income need continues to decline.

We retired on just under 80% of my gross income the final year I worked. Almost 3 years into retirement, and the living is as easy as when I worked.
Thanks for another confirmation that expenses won't necessarily require 100% of income. For planning purposes, I have all income being taxed with no deductions, to give me some cushion in my numbers. We could end up living in a state with income tax and hopefully that will cover it.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why would go down with less laibilties. But as you get older eventually your medcial expense will go up if you have any serious illness.Medicare is like the old major mecial where you pay 20% of the allowed charge. On a simple heart surgery that can be as much as 24,000 plus continued higher medical cost. Be prepared is the best thing by contiuing to have supplemental insurance;s o its not so high .
Medical expense is one reason why I'm working until age 60, when my medical retirement benefit kicks in. While I may find I can financially retire at 58, I'm sure this will be the primary reason why I don't.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 PM

37,332 posts, read 61,161,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Thanks for another confirmation that expenses won't necessarily require 100% of income. For planning purposes, I have all income being taxed with no deductions, to give me some cushion in my numbers. We could end up living in a state with income tax and hopefully that will cover it.
Good point.

Living in a state where they taxed your income would take the fun out of retirement.

On the forums I hear folks talk about their tax burdens, and I would just hate to have to be paying any percentage of my pension like that.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,650,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Medical expense is one reason why I'm working until age 60, when my medical retirement benefit kicks in. While I may find I can financially retire at 58, I'm sure this will be the primary reason why I don't.
In other words, if we had single payer, you could retire?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:28 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
If we had a single payer system we would be taxed at a minuimum of a 40% rate. Then there are the Val;ue Added tax and fees. Its not free to nay euporpean. Loom at the difference in pirce of just buying a new car in Canada compoared to US. Nothig is free.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
In other words, if we had single payer, you could retire?
No, I'm guessing I'll have better coverage with my pension health care benefit at no cost to me after I retire at 60. I'm betting single payer will have a cost associated with it.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 PM

37,332 posts, read 61,161,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If we had a single payer system we would be taxed at a minimum of a 40% rate. Then there are the Value Added tax and fees. ...
I agree.

Plus in a private system there are incentives for the doctors to try to be 'good' at their job.

Look at our own military medical system, and you see what happens when there are no incentives.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:51 PM

31,680 posts, read 40,976,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I agree.

Plus in a private system there are incentives for the doctors to try to be 'good' at their job.

Look at our own military medical system, and you see what happens when there are no incentives.
Aren't some of the military hospitals around the nations capital considered world class? Isn't that where some of the government elite go for treatment? I always thought the one in Bethesda was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement