U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:28 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,979,586 times

Advertisements

Good for you for being so caring. It is a big responsibility to agree to be someone's agent under a power of attorney. As long as a person is competent they call the shots. Maybe if you broach it as you needing help because you just are feeling overwhelmed trying to help three people she will be more willing to look at alternatives such as assisted living residences. If she looks she may be surprised. I would enjoy living in some of them myself! On the other hand leaving a home you have lived in for a long time can be a real loss so if she has the funds she should be able to make that work out with help coming in. Just tell her how stressed you are and what you see as her choices. Lay it on straight and ask her to decide. You can suggest talking to a housing counselor from the local Area Agency on Aging if she thinks they will have better ideas. Tell her you want to support her in making this important decision but that she will have to decide. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 AM

2,877 posts, read 6,433,050 times
I think the social worker idea is a good one. Having someone different present options may help. Even if they can't convince her to move they will know about other services that may be able to help. In my town there is a bus that picks seniors up and takes them to the senior center for the day.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM

628 posts, read 1,780,463 times
Thank you for all of your advice! I really appreciate it truly. Right now things are ok as my grandmother has agreed to letting the council on aging help her at least get to her appointments and get groceries and what not.

I think what's hardest for her is the money part--even though she has it--she's the type to complain if a full meal costs more than $5 or a pair of pants more than $12--that's why it would be hard to get her to get in home visits as generally these are not very inexpensive.

I do think she would enjoy life here more as she would get to go out more (something she enjoys--going to the movies, to lunch, shopping)--and I would be able to provide that for her at least occasionally as opposed to not at all now (the closest mall to her now is 45 minutes away) while I live down the street from one etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement