U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 PM
 
8,211 posts, read 11,929,872 times
Reputation: 18044

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
And pray on hands and knees that the ins. co. makes good on their obligation when the time comes to have to use it.
I'm an active participant on a cruise message board in which travel insurance is routinely discussed. I hven't come across a thread yet where someone complained that their travel insurance company didn't reimburse them for their medical (or other) expenses.

In fact, it is usually the opposite. Some novice cruiser will post a question asking whether they should purchase travel insurance and many people will reply with their personal experiences to show why travel insurance is necessary and worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 PM
 
11,271 posts, read 11,286,561 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm an active participant on a cruise message board in which travel insurance is routinely discussed. I hven't come across a thread yet where someone complained that their travel insurance company didn't reimburse them for their medical (or other) expenses.

In fact, it is usually the opposite. Some novice cruiser will post a question asking whether they should purchase travel insurance and many people will reply with their personal experiences to show why travel insurance is necessary and worthwhile.
Thank you. As a born skeptic when it comes to insurance co's I feel a little easier after reading that and will definitely purchase travel ins. when next I cruise (but not when I fly, as life insurance is best for that )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Ocean Shores, WA
5,081 posts, read 12,983,336 times
Reputation: 10649
I think if I ever got so bad off that I needed to go to a nursing home, I would murder a few people who needed killing then turn myself in and let the state take care of me for the rest of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,107 posts, read 24,910,551 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I think if I ever got so bad off that I needed to go to a nursing home, I would murder a few people who needed killing then turn myself in and let the state take care of me for the rest of my life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
 
4,948 posts, read 16,537,308 times
Reputation: 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Perhaps my "5-star' description was a little extreme. Sabatini's on a well know cruise line that rhymes with trincess does impose a surchase, but their upscale
Island, Coral and Palm Dining Rooms are still 5-course affairs with top-of-the-line maitre'd service, at least IMHO as my wife and I have dined there numerous times.

I lived in one of the better retirement homes in my mother's area for a week to "test it out" for her. Supper was usually a slice of meatloaf, a vegi (brocolli, or carrots, or mixed) a carbo (potato, pasta, etc) and a small dessert. Forunately no charge for cup of coffee. But the residence and level-of-care fee came to about $4500. Most of the residents just went back to their rooms in between meals. Very sad.
Some people have the idea of just going to live year round in a hotel when
they need some help! The maid cleans room, makes bed does laundry each
day. There is often free breaksfast maybe a snack for lunch!
So if for 100.00 per day that is 3000 per month may be cheaper than
assisted living, and if a roommate then one half you pay! Also that cruise ship idea has been afloat for awhile. Which I read they would need to have
some rooms for people willing to pay a flat fee based on health etc., to do this when they could! Also it might need some approval, but I think in was
buy you cabin as the buy in retirement homes, and then sell when you need a higher level of care? Baby Boomers is what they are gearing up for! Also
for some it is a great idea. Give it time and it may happen but will be costly. I also am sure since people will be at sea they may need to be
in good health, but what fun! The lady who does this is rich, nice and loves to cruise and the staff loves her! Beats the cleaning and assisted stuff anyday! She also makes many friends and is happy for doing what she loves!

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-20-2009 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 PM
 
11,271 posts, read 11,286,561 times
Reputation: 3474
How would you like to wake up to this every morning before strolling to the local bistro for cup of java and a croissant?


http://ursispaltenstein.ch/blog/imag...the_seas_1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,707 posts, read 33,724,405 times
Reputation: 51971
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You might have heard the stories:

snopes.com: Retirement on Cruise Ship

How many retirees who are facing the decision of going into a retirement home for themselves would instead opt for cruising the Mexican Riviera instead? Try $359 for a 7-day cruise. That works out to $1436/month for bed, entertainment and food. Round it off to $1600 or 1700 for fees, taxes, frills etc. and it comes out to about 1/3 the cost of a retirement home and the option of switching cruises all over the world. Does cruising the world full-time sound like a viable alternative to going petrified in a retirement home?
Are you talking about a retirement home or a nursing home? A nursing home implies you require medical assistance.

If you are talking about retirement home, as in your own place in retirement, I'd never opt for a cruise ship. I don't even opt for cruise vacations. I'm not one for a three ringed circus environment even for vacations. I'm more of a cabin in the woods type, drive around and do my own thing. Driving means freedom to me. I wouldn't want to be in such a confined environment that amounts to a hotel room on the water. I have "stuff." Eating with other people, every single meal, doesn't appeal to me, either.

If you are talking about a nursing home, there would be no advantage to being on a cruise ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 36,597,180 times
Reputation: 6277
Seems you would have to have a few friends and relatives to visit when you are between cruises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 04:42 PM
 
11,271 posts, read 11,286,561 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Are you talking about a retirement home or a nursing home? A nursing home implies you require medical assistance.

If you are talking about retirement home, as in your own place in retirement, I'd never opt for a cruise ship. I don't even opt for cruise vacations. I'm not one for a three ringed circus environment even for vacations. I'm more of a cabin in the woods type, drive around and do my own thing. Driving means freedom to me. I wouldn't want to be in such a confined environment that amounts to a hotel room on the water. I have "stuff." Eating with other people, every single meal, doesn't appeal to me, either.

If you are talking about a nursing home, there would be no advantage to being on a cruise ship.
A retirement home (semi-professional help) is halfway between a cabin in the woods (totally self-sufficient) and nursing (total professional-help) In retirement homes meals are cooked for you, there is an attendant on duty 24-hours to call paramedics for you if you need it, and activities to keep you busy. Meds dispensation is optional.

On a cruise ship you dine with different people every cruise, so friends made on one cruise are lost the next, opposite of retirement home. On cruise ship you get fresh air, a vast array of different activities, gambling, if that your bag, and meeting different people from all walks of life. On the minus side you're at sea and in the event of an emergency, the ship sawbones tries to hold you together until they can get emergency evac out there to transport you to nearest hospital. Travel ins is a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2009, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,707 posts, read 33,724,405 times
Reputation: 51971
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
A retirement home (semi-professional help) is halfway between a cabin in the woods (totally self-sufficient) and nursing (total professional-help) In retirement homes meals are cooked for you, there is an attendant on duty 24-hours to call paramedics for you if you need it, and activities to keep you busy. Meds dispensation is optional.

On a cruise ship you dine with different people every cruise, so friends made on one cruise are lost the next, opposite of retirement home. On cruise ship you get fresh air, a vast array of different activities, gambling, if that your bag, and meeting different people from all walks of life. On the minus side you're at sea and in the event of an emergency, the ship sawbones tries to hold you together until they can get emergency evac out there to transport you to nearest hospital. Travel ins is a must.
Organized activities and adhering to a schedule don't appeal to me on the water or in a retirement home which is why I don't do cruise vacations or tour vacations so spending even more time living like that is very unattractive. I get plenty of fresh air now. Tuesday, I was out with farm animals. Wednesday, I was out on a lake, tomorrow I'll be in the mountains and Sunday and Monday, I'll be out on a plateau in a state park. It's lousy weather today so I'm here. I eat when and what I want to and eating with others for all meals is not something I'd be interested in. Unless I'm ill/disabled and need a nursing home, there's just no appeal for me for either a cruise or a retirement home as you describe it. I will not give up my car unless it's pried out of my hands.

But, I have more questions because this interests me and I don't know anyone who lives in a cruise ship or a retirement home.

Do people who live on a ship in retirement tend to be people who like cruise vacations? Are they big city people who don't drive, now and rarely leave their city? What do you do with your "stuff" when you live on a ship (at any age)?

Is a retirement home, as you described it, a choice or a necessity for the people who live in one? That's the part I'm not understanding. What's the difference between living in your own house/apartment/condo in a retirement community (where there are activities) and living in a retirement home besides having your meals prepared? Is it cheaper? Are the people not able to call for medical help themselves or cook for themselves and that's why they choose it? Have they passed the age where they are able to drive? Or do they just want to be taken care of?

I ask that last question because I've always wondered how one half of a couple who has relied on the other half to do things for them through many years of married life, survives on their own when they are old and the spouse dies. I could be wrong but I think in those households, there is a division of labor and you could have, for example, a 70 year old widow who can't handle finances and has no idea how to take care of the car or even how to drive one and a widower who has no idea how to cook, shop or clean his clothes. Would these be the people who opt for a retirement home (wants someone to take care of them) or is it more of a medically-related decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top