Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
HUD's the same entity that wouldn't help me when I applied for the mortgage retention program in an effort to avoid foreclosure. And they seem to be the party responsible for setting these barriers to appropriate and adequate housing for the disabled in the first place. Arg!!
Why didn't you pay your mortgage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTEEL View Post
if retirement communities begin to let just anyone at any age reside in them,then they're truly not retirement communities and all kinds of crap will occur such as loud parties,boomcars,etc...the very kind of life us mature 55 plus people are trying to elude.//they're retirement communities not disability communities --read the wording stupid!!!

kind of harsh don't you think?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
if retirement communities begin to let just anyone at any age reside in them,then they're truly not retirement communities and all kinds of crap will occur such as loud parties,boomcars,etc...the very kind of life us mature 55 plus people are trying to elude.//they're retirement communities not disability communities --read the wording stupid!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
The statement is not harsh; it's reasonable. People like to live near other people whom they prefer. It's too bad that in this country only older (55 is scarcely old) people are allowed to do it.

DJTEEL's posts certainly don't indicate he's someone I'd want as a neighbor.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
Quote:
be nice

Old 12-17-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The statement is not harsh; it's reasonable. People like to live near other people whom they prefer. It's too bad that in this country only older (55 is scarcely old) people are allowed to do it.

DJTEEL's posts certainly don't indicate he's someone I'd want as a neighbor.

I made a terrible mistake; I owe DJTEEL aan apology. I talked about the wrong poster. My statement should have been, "Rtom45's posts certainly don't indicate he's someone I'd want as a neighbor."

Again, my sincere apologies to DJTEEL.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The are all types of housing from income;to health ;to age. There is hosuing avilable for jusdt such people as you and your wife too.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Listen, I'm old enough (61) to remember when:
There were "Adult Only" apartment complexes. They were great for those adults that don't like/want small children running around and yelling. Then the "age discrimination" thing came in and the "Adult Only" complexes went bye-bye. Now people don't have a choice of living in a "family" environment or not.
When a lot of apartment complexes wouldn't allow dogs or cats in them. That was cool, because there was no "doggy poop" laying around on grass which was left by people who wouldn't pick up their dogs poop. And, depending on how clean the pet owners are, will depend on how clean they keep their apartments where their dogs/cats are. NOW, most apartment complexes allow dogs/cats into them and I've seen piles of dog poop laying around. I actually caught two kids that were walking their dog and it pooped......they didn't clean it up. I said something to them, they were somewhat shocked that I did, but they cleaned it up. Some apartments can reek of dog and/or cat smell. There is a deodorant (spray/powder) that owners can use on rugs and in the air........but how many do??? We LOVE dogs and plan on having one in our apartment in the near future, but we sure know how to take care of it inside and outside the apartment!
And, NOW I see people complaining/yelling about age discrimination when it comes to the 55+ Communities. We just might be living in one down the line........leave these nice people and their communities alone!!
Sorry for ranting, but..........

Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Listen, I'm old enough (61) to remember when:
There were "Adult Only" apartment complexes. They were great for those adults that don't like/want small children running around and yelling. Then the "age discrimination" thing came in and the "Adult Only" complexes went bye-bye. Now people don't have a choice of living in a "family" environment or not.
When a lot of apartment complexes wouldn't allow dogs or cats in them. That was cool, because there was no "doggy poop" laying around on grass which was left by people who wouldn't pick up their dogs poop. And, depending on how clean the pet owners are, will depend on how clean they keep their apartments where their dogs/cats are. NOW, most apartment complexes allow dogs/cats into them and I've seen piles of dog poop laying around. I actually caught two kids that were walking their dog and it pooped......they didn't clean it up. I said something to them, they were somewhat shocked that I did, but they cleaned it up. Some apartments can reek of dog and/or cat smell. There is a deodorant (spray/powder) that owners can use on rugs and in the air........but how many do??? We LOVE dogs and plan on having one in our apartment in the near future, but we sure know how to take care of it inside and outside the apartment!
And, NOW I see people complaining/yelling about age discrimination when it comes to the 55+ Communities. We just might be living in one down the line........leave these nice people and their communities alone!!
Sorry for ranting, but..........
It is permissible to have 55+ and older communities.

What is legal is not necessarily right though. Let me give a brief example. For several years of my life, I resided in Santa Clara, California in the midst of the Silicon Valley. I was there to pursue my education, so I didn't really have a choice. Housing options there were expensive and limited. The local newspaper reported there was a large homeless population because of high rents and low vacancy rates among rental housing units.

Fifty-five + age restrictions prevented many people from being able to rent housing. It had the effect of raising rents for units that were available to younger age groups. It worsened a problem that was already intolerable.

I ask:

1. Why should clean, law-abiding people with decent credit be prohibited from renting a unit anywhere they want too?

2. Why do we believe we should only be around those similar to ourselves? Are we afraid to learn? Are we unwilling to accept the notion that people of all ages have a place within society and a community?

3. If age restrictions are permissible is the next thing restrictions based on race, religion, and sex?

4. Can we accept the notion that all human beings who are willing to play by the rules deserve a decent place to live?

I'm 51, not 55, but frankly I find the idea of living in a community with people only in my age group to be stifling. I would much rather be surrounded by people of all age groups. The solution to dealing with problems like loud noise is to talk to a neighbor. If that doesn't work, you call the police and complain.

One trend going on in this country that frightens me to death is the notion that we can only live or be around people who are just like us. I will always choose to live in a diverse neighborhood with all kinds of different people.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Ok, first of all, when talking about loud noise and reporting it to management and/or law enforcement:
1. Apartment complex management likes people who don't complain. If a tenant complains about another tenant, the complaint can go into both the complainers renting file as well as the the file for the person being complained about. And, depending on how much complaining a tenant does, that tenant can be put into a "Tenants Complaint's File" which shows management who are the "complainers" in the complex.......not a good file to be in!
Get law enforcement involved, legal things might happen against the complainer as well as the offender!
2. A MAJOR thing......most tenants don't think very highly of neighbors who complain to management and/or law enforcement about them. Retaliation can take place!
Not everyone wants to live in a diverse neighborhood. The younger generation with their loud music/partying, small children yelling/screaming is just not our thing. We enjoy eminsely talking to people from our generation. That way we don't hear, "sorry I was born then!".

[quote=markg91359;17268769]It is permissible to have 55+ and older communities.

What is legal is not necessarily right though. Let me give a brief example. For several years of my life, I resided in Santa Clara, California in the midst of the Silicon Valley. I was there to pursue my education, so I didn't really have a choice. Housing options there were expensive and limited. The local newspaper reported there was a large homeless population because of high rents and low vacancy rates among rental housing units.

Fifty-five + age restrictions prevented many people from being able to rent housing. It had the effect of raising rents for units that were available to younger age groups. It worsened a problem that was already intolerable.

I ask:

1. Why should clean, law-abiding people with decent credit be prohibited from renting a unit anywhere they want too?

2. Why do we believe we should only be around those similar to ourselves? Are we afraid to learn? Are we unwilling to accept the notion that people of all ages have a place within society and a community?

3. If age restrictions are permissible is the next thing restrictions based on race, religion, and sex?

4. Can we accept the notion that all human beings who are willing to play by the rules deserve a decent place to live?

I'm 51, not 55, but frankly I find the idea of living in a community with people only in my age group to be stifling. I would much rather be surrounded by people of all age groups. The solution to dealing with problems like loud noise is to talk to a neighbor. If that doesn't work, you call the police and complain.

One trend going on in this country that frightens me to death is the notion that we can only live or be around people who are just like us. I will always choose to live in a diverse neighborhood with all kinds of different people.[/
QUOTE]

Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 AM

35 posts, read 93,439 times
i'm going to laugh at all you people who think retirement communities are age discriminatory,because you're not very educated about them.a huge percentage of those retired people have medical problems that prevent them from living in normal apartment housing.many cannot tolerate living in noisy,boomcar environments.with 20 somethings partying and carrying on and you can argue with me all you want,MOST normal apartment complexes fall into that catagory.it's not acceptable that a 60 year old person should have to get up at 1am and get dressed to knock on someone's door to ask them to be quieter..most elderly people NEED quiet at all times or MOST of the time in order to live comfortabely.normal complexes(for lack of a better term),don't support the type of environment that encourages "quiet" at all times.retirement communities DO!!! i'm living in a retirement community(my third month here) and living in a normal community of 20 somethings is something i'll never ever plan on again.having to get out of bed at any time of night to be forced to get dressed and bang on someone's door to ask them to shut their sh*t down is something i won't go through again.ie,too loud too often!! that describes most 'normal' complexes!! you 20 somethings can complain all you want about age discrimination.the point is moot..it ain't going to change.as long as the elderly exist there will be living communities especially made for them. to you people who don't like that..live with it goofballs!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement