U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
...only 3 to 10 percent of people move out of state when they retire and less the 20% move anywhere at all.

So, the overwhelming majority of people don't move when they retire - probably for many of the reasons I mentioned.
Count us among the 3-10%. I retired at the end of last year and we moved slightly over 2,000 miles to where we are now. We both have defined-benefit, government pensions, I'm drawing Social Security and my wife will start next year. We won't need it, but we'll take it! We are blessed to have full medical, dental and prescription coverage with no premiums and reasonable copays so we're fairly well insulated in that respect.

We found, what is for us, the perfect house in the perfect spot on a large lake. While all our children and grandchildren live in three other state, that just gives us incentive and excuses to travel and explore the rest of the country. We don't have a lot of money but we do have more than enough to meet our needs and cover emergencies. It's all we could ask for, and more.

Years of planning and research went into our choices and I truly believe that's what it takes. If I was to sum up our situation in one word it would be, "comfortable!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,811,113 times
Though I would have preferred to stay in Ohio when retiring, specifically the Cleveland area, I'd have to say that the Sacramento, California region isn't a bad place to retire.

The cost of living isn't bad, especially compared to much of California. The weather is fairly moderate, and there is a lot to do in the surrounding area. Sacramento itself isn't bad, quite a variety of activities and decent health care facilities.

Though I prefer the Great Lakes area myself, having made the move out to California it isn't a bad place to retire.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,548,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Though I would have preferred to stay in Ohio when retiring, specifically the Cleveland area, I'd have to say that the Sacramento, California region isn't a bad place to retire.

The cost of living isn't bad, especially compared to much of California. The weather is fairly moderate, and there is a lot to do in the surrounding area. Sacramento itself isn't bad, quite a variety of activities and decent health care facilities.

Though I prefer the Great Lakes area myself, having made the move out to California it isn't a bad place to retire.
I can understand the feelings about the Great Lakes, as I grew up near Buffalo. The Great Lakes have such unique amenities that you cannot find in any other part of the country. I have good memories but I have been away from over 40 years, I will never go back. Mainly because of my severe arthritis--it is just too cold and damp. The economy is bad there, but when you are retired, it does not matter. The area has good health care and public services but the property taxes are really a problem.

My choice will now always be dry, low humidity areas. I live near Denver and I like it here. I think areas of New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Southern California, or West Texas would to me be the best places for retirement.

I would be partial to Albuquerque and Las Cruces because it is a high arid desert and consequently cooler than low deserts like Tuscon. In addition, I have found that I thoroughly enjoy the Hispanic culture of the Southwest. That is very important; for if you do not like the idea of an area having a high percentage of Hispanics--that is Mexicanos and other Latinos, then you would be uncomfortable in the southwest, regardless of the weather. However, if you embrace the culture, the people and the food (yea, the food)--then your quality of life will be wonderful.

Livecontent

Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I...However, if you embrace the culture, the people and the food (yea, the food)--then your quality of life will be wonderful.

Livecontent
Yes, the food and families are great, I must bone up on language skills, (which isn't a bad idea).

Old 10-25-2009, 10:03 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,782,260 times
We're staying put in central Maryland. Our kids are close bye, 45 minutes to the airport, great cultural activities in DC/Baltimore/NVA and if we don't like the weather we travel.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:35 PM

34,690 posts, read 33,695,295 times
Some places that are just fine when you are in the workforce are not so great when you retire because they don't offer enough things to do, that you like to do, during the daytime Mon - Fri.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
I left MN because I hated the weather. Winter more than 1/2 the year was too much for me. I despised all the shoveling, raking, and mowing as well. In the too short summer, the place was infested with bugs. I chose to move to Las Vegas. Warm, dry, low taxes, mountains, and there's always something to do. My yard work consists of a couple gallons of roundup every year and cleaning the pool.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:13 AM

30,701 posts, read 33,478,764 times
I don't like snow and I can't deal with the heat and my family and social life are here in California so I don't know why I'd go anywhere else.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:45 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times
LauraC, you said it well. You really don't know what retirement will be like until you experience it first hand. It's like, you can't wait to finish school but then there's working. Then you can't wait to finish work to retire, but when retirement comes, what do you do with all the time you have. We moved where we could afford to live without have to get jobs after retirement which is what we would of had to do where we were living.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:02 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,015,830 times
We've lived our entire lives in the Midwest and can't wait to retire to a warmer climate. As we age, the winters seem more brutal and hard on our bodies. We've been planning and saving our whole lives so we can have our place in the sun. Florida is our destination and we talk/dream about it daily. Best wishes to everyone as you find your special places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement