U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 PM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times

Advertisements

Here's another thing to think about if you are single. How many of your bills are paid automatically by debiting your checking account? Do your heirs/relatives know that info?

I'm not sure about the "Are You Okay?" calls unless they call a cell phone. If they call a land line you are tied to your home the same time every day to take the call and who wants that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:47 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,888,724 times
There are various options. If I had a cell phone I wouldn't be as worried about getting LifeAlert but I have a severe hearing loss and have trouble with phones and cell phones.
Life Alert does have a 911 button that works like a cell phone.
Life Alert Classic -- Medical Alarm Protection System – 24/7 Emergency Response
It also has to summon someone who has a key.
Right now, I'm using a portable phone at home that's really loud and I can make out what's being said to me in an emergency. Or at least tell that someone is talking to me.
I'm researching cell phones/text messaging phones. That's looking like my best option.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Hi Knoxgarden!

That's a VERY good point about Life Alert! My father is legally deaf (he had a diving accident when he was young) and he's never been able to hear phones -- or even us!! He read lips because he never learned sign language, which I'm sure wasn't real popular when he was young (he is 84, but has Alzheimer's now). However, he rarely could hear the phone, he did have ear surgery, which didn't help much, and he had hearing aids and tried to keep the sound up as much as possible -- but it was very difficult by phone to talk to him -- we always shouted as loudly as we could!

I don't have that issue, however, I've noticed my hearing isn't as good as it was, or maybe I am just more aware of it. I often use headphones for the tv if I don't want it up louder, and they are great because all the background noise is blocked out. I don't think if I took a hearing test that they'd say I have hearing loss, but I find the headphones handy, anyway.

Let us know what you find out about new technological devices for hearing-impaired. I realize my father's deafness was due to a diving accident, but I'm extremely sensitive to the issue having grown up with it. Many times if we girls (I have 3 sisters) would want something, we'd go and ask our dad, well knowing that he couldn't hear us. Then he'd just nod his head in agreement. Then my mother, who knew what we had done would in exasperation say: "You KNOW your father is deaf!!" Well, yeah, of course we knew that -- that's why we asked HIM!!

Since I just recently moved into the 55+ park, I'm only now in the process of setting things up such as what Laura C mentioned about paying bills. My daughter is only 19, and she has her own young life, so I really feel I must depend more on older friends and people in this community. It's hard for a 19-year-old to understand what the heck I'm talking about being older!

At least with still working full-time, I know that people would notice if I didn't show up at work. We do have a list of everyone's home phones and if they don't show up, someone goes to check on them. One guy at work was literally saved by this system -- he didn't show up to work, and they sent someone out to see if he was okay....and found him crashed in a ditch in a little sportscar up in the woods, off a cliff! They actually saved his life!

But when I do retire and I'm at home more, then I will have to have something put into place.

This is a good and informative thread. Something maybe we don't really want to think about, but certainly important! Thanks!

These are all great ideas, and I'm keeping note of them.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,629,170 times
Mother in law had life alert! Worked great!

Had several situations that had happy endings because of it!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 AM

257 posts, read 926,569 times
but, life alert is different than what I'm talking about. I think with Life Alert, and with my security system, you have to call THEM. I'm trying to get info about a system that calls YOU, daily or twice daily, or however often. Life Alert and similar are important, but not what I'm asking about.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:27 AM

4,086 posts, read 6,421,963 times
It is very sad to read so many posts where people have no one to look in on them. I lived in a place where most people looked after their elderly neighbors. My aunt, approaching 90 y.o., still lives there and her one neighbor is a young couple who do look in on her and frequently take her to lunch. The other neighbor is a business and the when he installed a security camera system he put an extra one in to watch my aunt's house. Today this is the exception and not the rule.

Where I lived in Lansdale PA before retiring the police had a service for seniors. If you wanted to they would call periodically to check on you.

Since I retired I moved to the south and have been here for about six years. In that time I have never had one person invite me into their home. No one has ever accepted my invitation for coffee or to watch a football game in my home. When I asked one woman how she liked living here she said, "I like it just fine, we all go to church and keep to ourselves." I will be leaving the south before the end of the year simply because of that attitude.

A word of caution about security companies. I had ADT installed in a mobile home in the mountains of PA and paid monthly for the service. I tried to sell it without success and decided to move it to a location where it would sell. I had a moving company move the mobile home from PA to DE. I forgot to tell ADT and when the house was moved they never responded. So if I can move a mobile home protected by ADT and they didn't notice just how secure are you with ADT?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,920,246 times
My Dad had something like Life alert although I don't know the name but it was basically the same where you push a button to call for help. He fell one night outside and pushed the button and the company didn't call anyone. He laid there all night until his neighbor found him.

Judy.. if you have a senior center in your area you might ask them. I know when I did Meals on Wheels that was one thing they told us was that if someone didn't cancel their food order to let them know so they could contact someone to check on them

Old 10-20-2009, 09:13 AM

13,321 posts, read 25,574,131 times
In my small town, I think you can ask the postal service to take note if you don't get the mail from your mailbox after a couple of days.
Currently, I work, so know that someone might notice if I didn't show up.
I do have an elaborate plan for a friend to install a housesitter for my dogs if something sudden happens to me (and she found out from my job) and then notify an animal sanctuary to whom I'm leaving a great deal of my estate. They'd come with crates and take the dogs to the sanctuary, for adoption or for life. They also always take their own dogs back for any reason, and I've thought of only adopting from them.
As I get older and am not at work or not there so often, I will consider carrying some sort of device and setting up a check in with neighbors. Currently, I work third shift and my house is behind trees off the road, so no one is likely to want to disturb me or notice if I'm not out and about. They guy who built my house lives down the street, is ten years younger and has a family, and would be happy to check in on me if I asked.
I think there are more of us than anyone thinks. The only familial lineup is very different for many of us (I have no family, not really).
My father lives alone in a semi-urban trailer. He fully expects to have a sudden heart attack (having had one ten years ago) and I did ask him to carry my sister's and my phone numbers for ID. So far, approaching 85 and very active, he has declined to move in with me because there's nothing to walk to here except the supermarket.Where he lives, he walks to the train to Philadelphia and Atlantic City and can still do a bit of gambling. I always offer that he can move here anytime he wants, and I think he does appreciate that
I expect to move to an assisted living place if I become very old (an Erickson community) where there's a more organized way of keeping tabs on me. Of course, if I had any pets, I'd still make plans for them. I know so many people who must "dispose" of an elder's pets because no plans have been made and/or the elder's family cannot or will not take the animals. I think anyone who loves their animals should make some sort of plan, and make it known.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,815,442 times
As another poster pointed out, it would seem that this "proactive" contact process would be a bit of a anchor. I wouldn't want to have to be at my home at a specific time every day so I can respond to the phone call.

Not worth the tradeoff to me.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Where I live the meals for wheels people have volunteers that do this on the telephone. Most are from people working at offices that the company also donates workers time for meals on wheels. Now that Texas has a extensive 211 list of all you need help evacuating in a hurricane evacuation; it is much easier to identify those needing this service also.The neighborhood watch people also help with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or