U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,649,024 times

Advertisements

uh huh ! ..i thought you're retiring from the company .. so you're quitting job and relocating eh ..well then no cruise trip for you lady ! ..another j/k hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,998,184 times
I quit my job and retired 3 years ago at the age of 43. I was stucked with a career that I absolutely had no desire to continue after almost 20 years of it. Fortunately, I had paid off my mortage and also saved quite a bit money. With no marriage, no kids, no obligations. It was not difficult for me to quit the job and start my new life. So I quit the job, sold my house in California and moved to a tropical island in the Pacific. I have been content with my life since then.
I am quite healthy, and never have to see the doctor more than a couple times per year, but I still keep a low coverage health insurance in the U.S., just in case.
Life is good now. But who knows, one day I may wake up feeling the urge of some challenge and re-enter the job market. Until then, I am content with where I am now.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM

81 posts, read 204,723 times
At age 51, I am considering leaving my job and moving out of state to a warmer climate - just being held back by the real estate market, have had the home on the market over a year and have only had 2 offers that were so low I'd have to endure huge losses that I'm not ready to do yet. I do agree with other posters say -- life is too short! Go and try it in a new area, and enjoy life.

To Scott - how did you research and decide upon a tropical island? What do you do for income there? Any tips for me? I would love the possibility of the beach life....

Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
I quit my job and retired 3 years ago at the age of 43. I was stucked with a career that I absolutely had no desire to continue after almost 20 years of it. Fortunately, I had paid off my mortage and also saved quite a bit money. With no marriage, no kids, no obligations. It was not difficult for me to quit the job and start my new life. So I quit the job, sold my house in California and moved to a tropical island in the Pacific. I have been content with my life since then.
I am quite healthy, and never have to see the doctor more than a couple times per year, but I still keep a low coverage health insurance in the U.S., just in case.
Life is good now. But who knows, one day I may wake up feeling the urge of some challenge and re-enter the job market. Until then, I am content with where I am now.
Wow! Tell us more please! Sounds amazing!

Do you live like a local and does that make it affordable?

I'm thinking of you living in Tahiti..... So, so, appealing.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,998,184 times
Yes I live like a local. Don't go to 5-stars.
People think Hawaii is very expensive. But I can tell you, it is cheap, about the same as Arizona. All you need to do is avoid the tourist and commercial area. I live in a cottage in a remote part of island...it has wonderful rainforest surroundings, easy access to beach and local food stores, standard U.S. cable T.V. and internet.
It's not for everyone, but I am happy where I am.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,615,604 times
I retired @56 years old, split up with the wife packed my stuff and left town moved to a different state and havent looked back since!
life is a one time shot dont sit back in a retirement home saying if I did this or that ..........JUST DO IT!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2010, 05:08 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Default A job is a precious thing.

I understand the merit to Htlong's suggestion to "just do it". Sometimes we need to overcome our inertia and strike out in new ways. But still, I would look for a job in a different area first, because in this economy and at the age we are talking about, jobs are hard to find, and many who are struggling on the edge of homelessness would be so happy to have the job that the OP is blessed with. That sense of adventure in "just doing it" could turn sour if a new job doesn't materialize in the new place and the OP runs out of money to live on. It seems to me a careful assessment is called for: How much financial cushion do you have? What are your job skills, and in what area? How is the job market in the place you want to go to? Are you carrying credit card debt already? Would it make sense to keep working a bit longer in the current job to figure this out and to build up your savings some more? What is your own comfort zone based on your own personality? Good luck in any case.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:18 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Default Oops, just noted the date of the OP!

The OP was a little over three years ago. Maybe we are offering advice and opinions about a done deal. In the future, I'll check that first.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:30 AM

4 posts, read 14,503 times
Susan Wolshin states, age has nothing to do with it, planning and preparing for a future is what it takes. Moderator cut: No advertising

Last edited by vec101; 06-17-2010 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: See Terms of Service

Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 14,503 times
Susan Wolshin deleted post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or