U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-22-2009, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Bayside, NY
823 posts, read 3,375,218 times
Reputation: 387

Advertisements

America's Most Expensive Cities - Forbes.com

I don't know how good the info is, it shows an average cup of coffee in NYC is $4.20. That may be true if you only have coffee at Starbucks but when I worked in the City I Paid $1-1.20 for a cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2009, 04:33 PM
 
71,632 posts, read 71,777,271 times
Reputation: 49230
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
America's Most Expensive Cities - Forbes.com

I don't know how good the info is, it shows an average cup of coffee in NYC is $4.20. That may be true if you only have coffee at Starbucks but when I worked in the City I Paid $1-1.20 for a cup.
i pay 1.50 every morning for 16 oz. im in nyc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2009, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,784 posts, read 23,813,363 times
Reputation: 6195
I spend a bit of time in San Francisco and Los Angeles, and the data for those cities isn't even close to being accurate. I have found multiple coffee shops in SF (they have local places every few blocks) that cost no more for coffee and pastry or sandwiches than I paid in Columbus, OH.

Junk article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2009, 02:15 PM
 
71,632 posts, read 71,777,271 times
Reputation: 49230
remember numbers can show whatever anyone wants them to.

i think i mentioned in another thread i saw a blurb on tv that 45% of all traffic accidents involve drinking... i said to my wife so there is proof its safer to drive drunk then straight........ the other 55% are straight.....

she laughed but the point was we can make numbers go wherever we want them to.....

when studing economics in college i remember the teacher showed us a graph of what people do in periods of higher inflation, and there was a chart that tracked number of people going to the movies.. the graph went higher and higher as inflation rose... i said to the teacher , well that chart is proof, going to the movies causes inflation... the class cracked up but we all learned a lesson. watch these informal surveys and statements. they can be led anywhere the writer wants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Utopia
1,999 posts, read 9,446,968 times
Reputation: 1482
I have a reallly hard time believing Houston is more expensive to live in than DC. Are these list makers all there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top