Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I know. I'm a home-owner and live where there are two culdesacs to a "stem". But, no HOA. And it shows. We call it "the neighborhood of low expectations" because it's very relaxed-looking and no one really cares what the others do, or what their places look like, unless there's criminal activity involved (and we all get very observant of that stuff).

But we like it that way. I'd rather tolerate someone leaving dilapidated vehicles on their front yard, or grass grow 2' ft, than have an association tell me I can't park my boat beside my house or what kind of fence I can have.

It is a choice. I just don't think most people completely think it through in the long goal.
Actually, I think many of us are bright enough to do just that. What a concept!

For the record, derelict vehicles, parking on lawns, over grown yards, etc. are not just signs of low-life sloth but bring down everyone's property values as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 03:02 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Actually, I think many of us are bright enough to do just that. What a concept!

For the record, derelict vehicles, parking on lawns, over grown yards, etc. are not just signs of low-life sloth but bring down everyone's property values as well.

I so agree with that bolded statement. I hate seeing that in my neighborhood.

As for the 55+ communities they are not for everyone. Some would prefer to have no worries on maintenance. Yeah it is good to have choices but that is why you ask before you buy. Read the fine print and make an informed decision. No one can predict the future and things could change overnight.

In my family we are looking to get into a 55+ for safety and because there will be periods of time the house will be vacant. I and DW are planning on travel in our second career. We may not get to all of the places we want but we will do as much as we can.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Given the original post is over three years old, and before today the last post was over two years old, it would be interesting to know what happened to the case.
Here you go: Judge ends long legal battle; 8-year-old can stay in Clearwater adults-only community | Tampa Bay Times

Old 03-16-2013, 05:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
no matter how much drama--- its a senior complex its for old people. the young are excluded.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM

797 posts, read 1,343,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no matter how much drama--- its a senior complex its for old people. the young are excluded.

BINGO !

I also have heard of parents who can't handle their juvenile delinquent kids believing that shipping them to grandpa and grandma in that nice quiet retirement will straighten them out.

KEEP your troublemakers in your own community !

Old 03-16-2013, 06:26 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Thank you lenora. It is good to know the outcome of this story.

Quote:

It is just and right that this case ended this way. If there ever happened to be a problem like this where parents are not available to raise children it is best to have them raised by family. I do not agree with the HOA on their try.

Edited to add my reasons for my choice here.

In the case of this little one an exception should be and was made. Had there been two or three rug rats roaming around that would be a different story. This young lady will most likely grow up to be a very sweet little one. Had she been sent off to foster home who knows what would have happend.

I do agree though that there should be some restrictions.

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 03-16-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Absolutely. People intentionally buy or rent in an age-restricted complex - FOR A REASON.

Many years ago, I rented half of my two-family to a retired couple because I had a very stressful job and wanted peace and quiet at home. I assumed no children since they were about 70. They'd just sold their long-time home.

Guess what - divorced son came over every weekend driving a rusty old truck which could be heard a mile away - literally - parking truck in front of house to the point neighbors came over and asked what was going on. Worse, he brought his two kids 6 and 8 with him. He was renting a room so, when he saw the kids, the only place to take them was to his parents - who were renting from me. Said kids ran up and down stairs, in and out of house, slamming doors, etc. Needless to say, their lease was not renewed at the end of one year.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well that poor 8 year old won't have any friends in the neighborhood to play with.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I confess I am very conflicted about the concept of age restricted communities.

As a person who is over 55, I think these communities are a good idea. I am for them. I think the previous poster makes a valid point.

On the other hand, if we can restrict people from living in a community because of their age, does that not mean we can segregate communities because of race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, etc.? I mean, if Briarcliff Manors (I made up the name) has a covenant that says 'white people only' or Hampshire Heights is for 'Christians only' .... isn't that against the law????

Old 03-16-2013, 06:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Why bother having rules if someone can go to court and have them changed according to their personal needs. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I disagree with the judge's decision. People buy in to an HOA with the agreement to abide by the rules. Nowhere in the contracts does it say "in the event of" or "with the exception."

I don't live in an HOA environment but I do live in an apartment building that has rules. If I violate those rules I would be evicted. I understood those rules going in. What is so different about an HOA? People say they are terrible. Maybe they are but no one is forced to move into places that are governed by them. It's like the people who move into a home in the path of an airport and then complain about the noise made by the planes taking off.

I realize this is an unusual situation. The grandparents didn't intend for this to happen. But in the years they had the child they could have and should have moved because they were no longer eligible to live in the complex. It simply is not fair to the rest of the nieghbors. Or the child.

There are no other kids for her to play with on her block. Will she be allowed to have friends from school over for slumber parties and things like that? What are the rules for visiting kids who are not relatives? What happens when she becomes a teenager? Will the neighbors complain about dates driving up to her door? And how will her teenage friends feel about visiting her in an age-restricted complex consisting of mostly retired people? What kind of life is she going to have living there? Some fun for her.

All this was brought up before but I think it's worth mentioning again. I don't think these people are doing this child any favors by bringing her up in an elderly people's environment. They are not thinking of her at all in my opinion. I think they have been more concerned about winning a battle than the child's happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement