U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:26 AM

4,981 posts, read 3,470,444 times

Advertisements

My claim took 2 years, back surgery & a lawyer. When the judge finally reviewed my case he shook his head & said, I hope you're suing. (Car accident).

He approved my claim but, as I said it took a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 10:20 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,531,576 times
It seems to be quite easy to get on disability if you claim a mental disability rather than a physical disability.

Case in point...........a very popular poster here said she used to have a well paying job that she travelled all over the world doing.
However she and her husband longed to move to Alaska and be a "homesteader"

She posted daily and bragged about her physical strength and how she could outwork any man ......handling a chain saw, splitting wood, carrying a heavy pack for miles over rough terrain.
She also mentioned all the people she interacted with when going to town for supplies.

When asked how it was possible to move to the wilds of Alaska with no income she told a poster.............." the only income is my SS Disability"

Somehow she developed Aspergers about the time they wanted to move to Alaska.

Yet, her disease didn't affect her mental ability to interact with everyone she came in contact with in Alaska.

In fact that very popular, opinionated poster drawing Disability SS was a Moderator here at City-Data at the time.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 AM

506 posts, read 261,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
It seems to be quite easy to get on disability if you claim a mental disability rather than a physical disability.

Case in point...........a very popular poster here said she used to have a well paying job that she travelled all over the world doing.
However she and her husband longed to move to Alaska and be a "homesteader"

She posted daily and bragged about her physical strength and how she could outwork any man ......handling a chain saw, splitting wood, carrying a heavy pack for miles over rough terrain.
She also mentioned all the people she interacted with when going to town for supplies.

When asked how it was possible to move to the wilds of Alaska with no income she told a poster.............." the only income is my SS Disability"

Somehow she developed Aspergers about the time they wanted to move to Alaska.

Yet, her disease didn't affect her mental ability to interact with everyone she came in contact with in Alaska.

In fact that very popular, opinionated poster drawing Disability SS was a Moderator here at City-Data at the time.

Situations like this are why many people are leery when people claim a "disability". My wife works in social services, and unfortunately, sees the worst of these cases.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:59 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,222,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A friend of mine was a construction laborer who worked in trenches installing new city water/sewer lines.

He got his back injured about at age 40 by a huge pipe that swayed as it was lowered.
He told me it took him 3 years to get SS Disability and he did get back pay.
If not for his wife having a well paying UNION factory job, he would have been wiped out financially.

He said he got a real smart alec on his 2nd appeal.
He was asked if he goes to the bathroom alone when his wife was at work.
When he replied " yes", he was told ........." Any man who can wipe his own butt isn't disabled "

Yes, he did get a lawyer after being told that.
I once had an ALJ ask my client "Why don't you just go ahead and kill yourself?". WTF ?! Since the hearings are recorded, I walked out of that room absolutely confident she would be receiving her benefits ASAP.

And then there was the ALJ who made a snarky comment when a mentally ill veteran appeared at the hearing wearing his military uniform. I heard the claimant jumped over the table and tried to strangle the ALJ.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:04 PM

39,799 posts, read 3,009,722 times
I would suggest applying by yourself, lawyers take too much money. Don't be afraid to say you can't do certain things, if that is a fact.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:16 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,905,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My husband has taught whitewater rafting,rock climbing, hiking and other
very physically challenging activities his whole life. Now at 57 he has
serious knee, shoulder and back problems and is just not physically able to do the type work he has always done.<> We are just starting to consider filing for disability.<>
Any advice is appreciated.
Bogus filing for SS disabilities by people with lawyers is a plague upon the earth. On the other hand, someone who has paid into the system should be able to tap into it when needed. Most people work through until full retirement age, but not everyone can make it. Sounds like your husband's situation.
Keep in mind, once he is declared to be on SS disability he can never hold a job or be gainfully employed
or might have to repay the system.
As I understand it SS disability is not in addition to SSI, it brings the payments to you now.
I'm sure you will get some advice from people who are actually on the system.
Time to look for alternative employment ideas it seems. Maybe a desk job or some kind of on line phone work. My wife and I are familiar with a home based business that many found to be a regular source of income without a lot of physical labor. Do some research starting with "multilevel scam" so you know what to beware of.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:09 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,076,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Bogus filing for SS disabilities by people with lawyers is a plague upon the earth. On the other hand, someone who has paid into the system should be able to tap into it when needed. Most people work through until full retirement age, but not everyone can make it. Sounds like your husband's situation.
Keep in mind, once he is declared to be on SS disability he can never hold a job or be gainfully employed
or might have to repay the system
As I understand it SS disability is not in addition to SSI, it brings the payments to you now.
I'm sure you will get some advice from people who are actually on the system.
Time to look for alternative employment ideas it seems. Maybe a desk job or some kind of on line phone work. My wife and I are familiar with a home based business that many found to be a regular source of income without a lot of physical labor. Do some research starting with "multilevel scam" so you know what to beware of.
You can still get a job once you are on SS disability just you can only make so much a year. And they know exactly how much to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement