Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

nothing pre-cludes him from getting a desk job or phone sales job. ss disability is for those who can not work any job not just what they were doing.

i see no reason with bad knees he can not work other job functions.

disability from ss should be for those who can't work not those who don't want to work. the tax payers already pay out enough in welfare for those who are able to work .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-25-2013 at 03:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per409 View Post
I was denied medicaid a few weeks ago. I guess what i'm asking is - do I have a chance at ssi?
Almost everybody seems to be denied the first time through.
Most benefit from getting a lawyer specializing in disability claims once the first denial has been received.
The money for the lawyer will come from any settlement benefits, not out of your pocket ahead of time.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nothing pre-cludes him from getting a desk job or phone sales job. ss disability is for those who can not work any job not just what they were doing.

disability from ss should be for those who can't work not those who don't want to work. the tax payers already pay out enough in welfare for those who are able to work .
Are you suggesting that Social Security benefits are welfare?

BTW, the original post is about 4 + years old. I am assuming, based on the content of your reply that it was in response to the OP, not the most recent post.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:29 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Who will be responsible for creating these desk jobs? Who will give up their desk job so a disabled person can take it?

I will agree that there is some abuse of the system. I would love to see the process be made perfect so that people who are truly disabled don't have to be lumped in with the bums.

While on the surface, some people may appear to be abusing the system, but they are actually disabled.

I will add one recommendation to anyone that has to file for SSDI. When they ultimately start evaluating your claim, they will probably request more information from you. When they do, make sure you don't make any changes to the information you have already given them, or they will bounce your claim. Keep detailed records of your correspondence, so that you can avoid any changes.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:42 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
60 Minutes recently exposed a lot of fraud in disability SS.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 8,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Almost everybody seems to be denied the first time through.
Most benefit from getting a lawyer specializing in disability claims once the first denial has been received.
The money for the lawyer will come from any settlement benefits, not out of your pocket ahead of time.
TY at least someone seen my post from this old thread.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

BTW, the original post is about 4 + years old. I am assuming, based on the content of your reply that it was in response to the OP, not the most recent post.
collecting disability by claiming you cannot work when you can is wrong and yes can be considered a form of welfare. it just comes out of a different pocket.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

yep it was in response to the op's question.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:26 PM

371 posts, read 537,404 times
I applied for SSDI when I was 58, upon the advice of my doctor and being unable to work at the job I had been doing for the past 40+ years. I was living in Vermont, and found the process completely painless. The SSA folks were extremely courteous and helpful, and I never had to go for any exams. I simply submitted all my medical records with the application, and was approved in 6 months.

It is NOT based upon whether you can do ANY job. SSA looks at the work you have been doing for the past 15 years and whether you are able to perform the same type of work with your disability. Age is another factor, assuming it would be much more difficult for an older person to learn a new trade than a young person. Someone mentioned that a ballet dancer could not do the same job at 40 as when she was younger. Yes, if she did nothing but ballet for 15 years and then, due to injury, could no longer dance, she would be eligible. However, her age would be a consideration. I rode horses professionally for over 40 years. At 58, the last straw was a shattered femur, broken collarbone and fractured vertebrae.

Where you live and file is the key here. Some states have abysmal approval rates on the first application, some are much better. At the time I filed, Vermont was one of a handful of states that was using a more streamlined approach.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per409 View Post
This is an old thread but after reading the posts I wanted to put my 2 cent question in lol

Here's the story - I honestly believe this started in 1976 with a high fever from the flu. I have chronic vertigo that began in 1979,yes 1979 and not a day or even an hour passes that i'm not dizzy or off balance to some degree.Never worked except helping parents farm (milk cows,hay,corn,tobacco) but never had a weekly or monthly paycheck. I can't drive (since 2000) but I do keep my license up to date. I signed up for ssi about a month ago at age 55. With medical records going back at least 15 years at the same clinic and possibly more going back to 79. From what I understand SSA wants positive proof of a disability,i've not had any scans but have had a lot of tests,blood,oxy,hearing, common standing sitting bending - all that stuff for the doc's reports. I was denied medicaid a few weeks ago. I guess what i'm asking is - do I have a chance at ssi?
SSI is different from SSDI. Since you never worked in terms of a weekly or monthly paycheck you are not eligible for SSDI. This entire thread is about SSDI. You need to work at least ten years to qualify for SSDI.

I am not sure why you were denied Medicaid if you have no income.

I think you might have a chance at getting SSI but the retirement thread is not the best place to ask. Most people here don't know the difference between SSDI and SSI.

There is a lot of information on the Internet (not City Data) that should be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement