U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:42 PM

12,708 posts, read 14,089,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I'm sure this was posted somewhere but I haven't found it. So I'm wondering what everyone else plans to do or is doing in retirment. ....

My interests are:
reading
learning history, specifically local history, general Celtic, Scottish, Irish
photography
writing, blogging
genealogy
studying/practicing buddhism
bicycling, kayaking, canoeing, hiking
travel
many things on the internet
I think we are on the same page.

1.) History and archeology, especially Irish, but also the history of the places I have lived in Europe. (And this has had the effect of changing a couple of very long held positions on a couple of longstanding hotspots.)

2.) Genealogy, which I began on a boring rainy night, has grown into a monster compilation of data going back to 1495. And this led to more reading, this time of the history of the times and places these people lived in.

3.) Writing, finished a novel.

4.) Buddhism. Became one by convincement in 1987, and as I have grown older it has assumed a greater and more helpful place in my life.

5.) Travel, except for five weeks in the U.S., mostly around Europe - Madeira for six months, Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfort, Palma & Soller in Majorca, Athens, Cyprus, Dublin and Cork, Istanbul.

6.) Internet. Worked in a computer center for twenty years so I was on the Internet early. The hey day of discussion groups and forums was the late 80s, and they have plunged in quality since then. I now spend far less time on the Internet, mostly for genealogical work or emailing.

7.) Painting...I'm back to dabbling a bit. We'll see where it goes this winter.

8.) Gymnasium three mornings a week, and lots of walking on the beach....we have gorgeous deserted beaches on our west coast.

9.) Music. I have amassed a very large number of CD's over the years - classical; what is now called World Music, Brazilian pop, classic jazz from the 40s, 59's and early 60's, Blues and Cajun & Zydeco, and 60's and 70's U.S. soul and R&B. I have a five-CD player and keep reloading it every three or four days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 02:55 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,578,684 times
I hear a lot of people who plan to focus on writing or art or something they haven't been doing all along. To which I say, great, an avocation. Not likely that there is a steaming talent there waiting to be tapped.
I know many professional writers/journalists. One writer said it ticks him off to hear people say they want to write when they retire. He says to them, "Yes, I'm thinking of taking up brain surgery when I retire."
I like the "practice Buddhism" idea. With more time and presumably more quiet, you can pay more attention to whatever you do, live more in the moment with attention, follow some lessons you learn from your dog.
Due to working third shift, I have missed out on a lot of activities that most people likely do during their work lives, and social things. After I've slept for a few months, I think I'd like to try a spiritual gathering/community (Unitarian or Ethical Culture Society) some carefully considered volunteer work (might take a certificate in ESL and work with refugees) and read the four billion books piled up all over my house. Walk more in my lovely neighborhood.
Now, I must admit, as a terminally single, childfree-by-choice person, I've probably done a lot of the things in my working life that people are waiting to do in retirement. (Travel, go back to school, play music, change jobs, move to another state, in general leave a very messy trail. It's cost me in many ways, but I don't want to do more of it in retirement). I can understand if people have been more constrained by family obligations that they certainly would look forward to doing different things in a different time/space.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:57 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,056,039 times
I don't think I will have any problems keeping myself entertained and busy.

First up is all the remodeling on my house.

Gardening has been and will continue to be a lifelong passion

I'm getting more and more interested in making furniture

Things I expect to take up again that were dropped due to time constraints:
Photography
Painting
Camping/Travel for fun not work
Hiking
Exploration of places and ideas and history has always been a big draw for me

Interests that always present many opportunities
History
Archeology
Health/nutrition
Science in general

I'm considering getting a fuel-efficient van camper to facilitate my wandering yens without too much constraint or costs. I might get a van and outfit it myself. I can't see why the commercial ones are so expensive. That project would keep me busy for a while.

And after I've exhausted all that, there is always more to learn, more to read, and pets to keep me company.

Yup, it's going to be great! Starting in 2 months!

Old 10-30-2009, 03:08 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,988,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think we are on the same page.

1.) History and archeology, especially Irish, but also the history of the places I have lived in Europe. (And this has had the effect of changing a couple of very long held positions on a couple of longstanding hotspots.)

2.) Genealogy, which I began on a boring rainy night, has grown into a monster compilation of data going back to 1495. And this led to more reading, this time of the history of the times and places these people lived in.

3.) Writing, finished a novel.

4.) Buddhism. Became one by convincement in 1987, and as I have grown older it has assumed a greater and more helpful place in my life.

5.) Travel, except for five weeks in the U.S., mostly around Europe - Madeira for six months, Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfort, Palma & Soller in Majorca, Athens, Cyprus, Dublin and Cork, Istanbul.

6.) Internet. Worked in a computer center for twenty years so I was on the Internet early. The hey day of discussion groups and forums was the late 80s, and they have plunged in quality since then. I now spend far less time on the Internet, mostly for genealogical work or emailing.

7.) Painting...I'm back to dabbling a bit. We'll see where it goes this winter.

8.) Gymnasium three mornings a week, and lots of walking on the beach....we have gorgeous deserted beaches on our west coast.

9.) Music. I have amassed a very large number of CD's over the years - classical; what is now called World Music, Brazilian pop, classic jazz from the 40s, 59's and early 60's, Blues and Cajun & Zydeco, and 60's and 70's U.S. soul and R&B. I have a five-CD player and keep reloading it every three or four days.
Very interesting! You've gone back a long way with your ancestry. Curious what countries you've lived in.

What type of Buddhist are you? I don't label myself but am interested and I'm an occasional Buddhist with plans to change that. I love to read anything by Thich Nhat Hanh and have plans to spend a week or two at his community in France - Plum Village.

I don't plan to write any books although several people have told me I should turn my blog about living in Uganda into a book. I have no desire or enough talent to be published.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I don't think I will have any problems keeping myself entertained and busy.

First up is all the remodeling on my house.

Gardening has been and will continue to be a lifelong passion

I'm getting more and more interested in making furniture

Things I expect to take up again that were dropped due to time constraints:
Photography
Painting
Camping/Travel for fun not work
Hiking
Exploration of places and ideas and history has always been a big draw for me

Interests that always present many opportunities
History
Archeology
Health/nutrition
Science in general

I'm considering getting a fuel-efficient van camper to facilitate my wandering yens without too much constraint or costs. I might get a van and outfit it myself. I can't see why the commercial ones are so expensive. That project would keep me busy for a while.

And after I've exhausted all that, there is always more to learn, more to read, and pets to keep me company.

Yup, it's going to be great! Starting in 2 months!
Wonderful!!

Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 PM

71,700 posts, read 71,829,507 times
interesting how many are into photography ,... its been 3 years for my wife and i that we started in the hobby and we love it more and more....

we are actually thinking of starting a little business when we retire doing real estate photography for brokers

Old 10-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Very interesting! You've gone back a long way with your ancestry. Curious what countries you've lived in.

What type of Buddhist are you? I don't label myself but am interested and I'm an occasional Buddhist with plans to change that. I love to read anything by Thich Nhat Hanh and have plans to spend a week or two at his community in France - Plum Village.

I don't plan to write any books although several people have told me I should turn my blog about living in Uganda into a book. I have no desire or enough talent to be published.
we have one of the most incredible monesteries on the east coast right here in kent new york. it looked like a scene right out of a bruce lee movie...

it was soooooo peacful. i loved it. took alot of nice photos there.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:21 PM

29,784 posts, read 34,885,423 times
I have really gotten into cooking. Especially smoking and grilling. Got a Big Green Egg Smoker/Grill and it is amazing.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:22 PM

im not even allowed in the kitchen... if i cook we say our prayers after we eat . ha ha

Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we have one of the most incredible monesteries on the east coast right here in kent new york. it looked like a scene right out of a bruce lee movie...

it was soooooo peacful. i loved it. took alot of nice photos there.

Lovely photos! When I first became interested about 3 years ago I went to a beginner meditation weekend at a Soto Zen monastery in north England near Hadrian's Wall. Was very helpful and enjoyable. After that weekend I meditated faithfully every day for probably about 6 months, then got lazy and inconsistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or