U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:24 AM

126 posts, read 138,204 times

Advertisements

We have about two years to go. Some things I'l just continue to do in retirement that I'm doing now:

spoiling the grandkids
skydiving
scuba
bicycling
reading

But I think that there will be time to do some things that we (wife & I) just didn't have time for, but will after retirement:

a stint with the Peace Corps
travel
more volunteering

and I'm really looking at some of the other ideas posted here, they're great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:40 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,989,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver_jim View Post
We have about two years to go. Some things I'l just continue to do in retirement that I'm doing now:

spoiling the grandkids
skydiving
scuba
bicycling
reading

But I think that there will be time to do some things that we (wife & I) just didn't have time for, but will after retirement:

a stint with the Peace Corps
travel
more volunteering

and I'm really looking at some of the other ideas posted here, they're great.
My hub and I just finished 2 years in Uganda with VSO UK (voluntary service overseas). I met many Peace Corps vols (all kids) and I recommend you go with VSO Canada as they take Americans. Just send me a message if you want my reasons for objecting to the PC.

We were 55 and 58 and retired when we went. I don't regret it for a second. Was 2 years well spent. Lots of people just do one year though.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 AM

12,732 posts, read 14,097,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Very interesting! You've gone back a long way with your ancestry. Curious what countries you've lived in.
Madeira (which is an autonomous region of Portugal), the Portuguese mainland, and Cyprus (the Greek portion.)

Quote:
What type of Buddhist are you? I don't label myself but am interested and I'm an occasional Buddhist with plans to change that. I love to read anything by Thich Nhat Hanh and have plans to spend a week or two at his community in France - Plum Village.
Theravadin, though of a type with few religious or ethnic attributes. I essentially began at this point, but in the beginning I was friendly with someone in my neighborhood who went to a couple of Tibetan Vajrayana centers, so I went along; however, I was never comfortable with the elaborate ritual and strong ethnic skew. There was Buddhist center close by my apartment of the Korean Zen tradition, so I was a member there for two or three years. And ultimately I returned to the simple practice that I had begun with.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 AM

13,320 posts, read 20,150,956 times
Fun things things to do in Retirement.........
Take the grandkids everywhere........Show them Steam trains, musical shows like the Sights and Sounds theater. Take them to the city and explore. Let them learn at the Museum of Natural History. Washington DC to the Air and Space Museum. Show them the Amish lands........the historical sites.......Anything and everything you can think of. As, they are our future......and they need to know what was what in the past.
That should come from us, because we lived it.
Other then that:
Photography is a great hobby.......Do it for fun, and let it feel and be real.
Wood carving..........Join a wood carvers club, see what things you can make and what is of interest to you.
Travel........Go places you have always dreamed of........sometimes taking the younger ones to explore too.
Boating.......A day out on a lake in the coves swimming, fishing,and picnicing.......relaxing and fun.
Go RVing........
Spend your winter months ( if you want to explore) in a different area renting.......just to be away and have fun with others.
Swim in the summers
Get out in the snow in the winters.......even for a walk
The internet is fun for all sorts of reasons. Shop, connect, and get the latest news.....
Help in a animal shelter.......devote time to a food warehouse for the needy.......
There is so much to do.......the days can be very full.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,832,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, I have about seven years before retirement but I'm already thinking of what I'd like to do.

I'm planning to have a serious vegetable garden and learn how to preserve foods.
Raise milk goats to make cheese. I love animals and goat's cheese!
Have a few chickens.
And, hopefully, resume horseback riding (if my purse -and body- can afford it)!
Another thing I'd really like to do is volunteer at a school helping to teach children to read. Reading is a passion of mine, and it's so important. I always wanted to be a grade school teacher but life just didn't go that way.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:28 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,989,053 times
Another I'd like to do later when we're not so busy travelling and remodeling, is volunteer with something called Befrienders. Volunteers are matched up with an elderly person(s) who wants some companionship, someone to chat with or to take them for a drive or out to lunch. Mileage is reimbursed. For the 3 years before I retired I had worked with the elderly in their homes and enjoyed it.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:07 AM

71,754 posts, read 71,853,273 times
i wanted to work at the local strip club here cleaning up the empty beer bottles as a retirement job.

you cant believe how much they wanted to charge me to work there ha ha ha

Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 AM

71,754 posts, read 71,853,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Fun things things to do in Retirement.........
Take the grandkids everywhere........Show them Steam trains, musical shows like the Sights and Sounds theater. Take them to the city and explore. Let them learn at the Museum of Natural History. Washington DC to the Air and Space Museum. Show them the Amish lands........the historical sites.......Anything and everything you can think of. As, they are our future......and they need to know what was what in the past.
That should come from us, because we lived it.
Other then that:
Photography is a great hobby.......Do it for fun, and let it feel and be real.
Wood carving..........Join a wood carvers club, see what things you can make and what is of interest to you.
Travel........Go places you have always dreamed of........sometimes taking the younger ones to explore too.
Boating.......A day out on a lake in the coves swimming, fishing,and picnicing.......relaxing and fun.
Go RVing........
Spend your winter months ( if you want to explore) in a different area renting.......just to be away and have fun with others.
Swim in the summers
Get out in the snow in the winters.......even for a walk
The internet is fun for all sorts of reasons. Shop, connect, and get the latest news.....
Help in a animal shelter.......devote time to a food warehouse for the needy.......
There is so much to do.......the days can be very full.

hey summering, whats a nice girl like you doing in a place like this? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or