Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,729 times

Advertisements

I have found a few of these places in my search for senior housing. When I first looked at them they seem like a good deal, but it is the old thing, "if it looks to good to be true it probably is." These communities are run under a tax credit elderly federal plan that is suppose to provide decent affordable housing without government subsidies. The rents are generally set by locations and do have income caps for residents that also vary from place to place. In a wealthy county like Montgomery county PA the income cap may be $31k. Whereas in Sussex county DE the cap could be $21k.
If you can qualify for these places it seem like a good deal and most are very attractive places on the surface. One problem is the extensive waiting lists that seem to make no sense in how they determine your place on that list. The second problem is that in order to get into these places they require more paper work than a top secret clearance. It probably is easier to get a job with the CIA than to get an apartment at one of these facilities. The third problem is the lack of knowledgeable/skilled employees who cannot provide adequate reasonable information. As I deal with these places I cannot decide if the ineptitude is due to poor training, stupidity, or a business that operates with greased palms.
However, if this type of housing meets your needs one place to start looking is Arbor Management who operate several units from New England down through DelMarVa and Va. Just remember to keep one hand on your wallet and,...well you know what else you have to cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,042,585 times
I've been looking at 55+ communities in Delaware for a few years now. The issue of income has never been raised. Where do these "income caps" come into play?

The only issue of "rent" would be in those communities that are land-lease, where you own the home and rent the land underneath it.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:13 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,900 times
The OP is referring to subsidized housing provided specifically for seniors and the disabled through HUD.
Public and Indian Housing Senior Housing Information Center - HUD
HUD provides funds/subsidies for builders to provide apartment complexes that are limited to those who are seniors and/or disabled. There are income limits.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,042,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
The OP is referring to subsidized housing provided specifically for seniors and the disabled through HUD.
Aaahhh. OK. Thanks for the explanation.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:17 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
I have looked at a number of these senior housing in the Denver area that have subsidized rent programs. I am disabled under social security so I qualify for these programs.

I have found that many of these type housing are very nice. I have really not found any that were terrible. They run the gamut from county and city housing to privately built. Some are new housing. Some private complexes are more luxurious that have requirements for units to be set aside for lower income and the disabled because they were financed with government tax credits. It is interesting that the new concept of Transit Oriented Developments (TOD) have included senior housing. Denver has built a new airport and has mandated senior housing in the redevelopment of the old airport site, Stapleton.

Yes, there are waiting list but you can apply for many at the same time. Of course, the most desirable have longer lists. Some have separate lists for the disabled. I have not applied to any but I have reviewed the paperwork and I have not found that to be to difficult. Income qualification are very specific as per federal guidelines and if your income is very low, you can have good quality housing with limited costs. I am still trying to decide if I want to stay in my home or move to senior housing.

I like many of the housing that are run by non-profit and especially faith-based groups that have been in the business for decades. My preference for housing would be in an urban setting in a good walkable neighborhood with basic shopping and good public transportation.

Denver has many good senior housing opportunities in well established neighborhoods. Part of this has grown out of past medical treatment of providing mountain air to tuberculosis patients; so the tradition of building housing for the sick and old became well established in the clean fresh salubrious air of Denver. In addition, the idea of the United Way began in Denver, in 1887, because of the need to work with tuberculosis patients. These traditions have survived because Denver is really not a very old city and still remembers the past in the social conscience.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-04-2009 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement