U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:18 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,190,483 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed visiting the mile high little artist's town of Jerome, AZ in the mountains. Very eclectic and peaceful. Bought some pottery while there. Beautiful vista views as well.

Also, the small city of Globe, AZ becoming artist's gathering place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,874,356 times
The San Juan Islands off the Washington Coast are filled with artists and craftsman, and also check out Beaufort, North Carolina and surrounding communities...a strong art presence here, with ocean, sound, river..with bird life and dolphins to inspire.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:48 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,068,792 times
of course New York and Chicago but then very expensive. Isn't Sarasota FL suppose to be quite artsy, has it's own opera house. Laguna Beach, CA is quite the artist colony but again, very expensive to live. I guess artists have to live in very wealthy areas to find people who can afford to buy their art!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,010,700 times
Most artsy towns startotut hat way with a few arist and then commercial artist come in and those people leve or change inot commercial sales more and more.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,029,981 times
my 'Artsy' vote for;
4 seasons
good climate
suitably for retirement
Close proximity to mountain recreation, colleges, culture, medical care, and international airport =
Loveland, Colorado
Loveland High Plains Arts Council

Joseph, OR might do if something more remote is your style.
Sisters, OR if you are into Quilts (last week) Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show

There are quite a few smaller 'artsy' towns in VT, NH, and ME if you need something cooler in the winter.

For warmer, I'll second Jerome, AZ and add Silver City, NM.

There are really bundles of nice Artsy places in the Smokey's as well.

As previously mentioned, the towns that feature summer music fests can be great too. (One reason I liked living in Loveland, CO, was 'hosted' events in Estes Park (nicer to visit than to live (windy and bitter cold at times in winter, too busy and expensive in summer)~ 30 min from Loveland) And friendly too, just join the Senior Volunteer Valentine Stampers (remailers)
http://www.loveland.org/OfficialLovelandValentine

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-12-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
of course New York and Chicago but then very expensive. Isn't Sarasota FL suppose to be quite artsy, has it's own opera house. Laguna Beach, CA is quite the artist colony but again, very expensive to live. I guess artists have to live in very wealthy areas to find people who can afford to buy their art!
If we're going to talk about New York and Chicago, then we will have to mention Los Angeles, which is their equal in an arts sense, although that was not true 30 or 40 years ago. Also, as another poster mentioned, "the arts" as a general term encompasses various aspects such as music, dance, live theatre, opera, foreign films, etc. in addition to the visual arts. The smaller arts towns may not bear up to this broader standard, but then not everyone wants to live in a large city. New York, Chicago, and L.A. are all expensive and crowded, but L.A. is the only one of the three with a wonderful climate.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 AM

4,575 posts, read 7,068,792 times
oh yes, I would agree...LA certainly qualifies!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,698,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I enjoyed visiting the mile high little artist's town of Jerome, AZ in the mountains. Very eclectic and peaceful. Bought some pottery while there. Beautiful vista views as well.

Also, the small city of Globe, AZ becoming artist's gathering place.
When I read the title of the thread I figured Santa Fe and Sedona would be on the list and, mentally, I added Jerome. I live at the base of the mountain where Jerome is located and I enjoy going up to see 'what's new' there. Some of my friends up there are quite talented artists and one of my best friends does beautiful stained glass.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:06 AM

15,213 posts, read 31,190,076 times
Sarasota/Bradenton, Florida. Sarasota's nickname is the "Cultural Coast." Thousands of artists live here, and the city is home to Ringling College of Art and Design, a nationally acclaimed college. There are several museums, theater groups, orchestra, opera house, ballet and just about anything cultural or art-related, as well as galleries and an artist village. It's # 5 on the American Style list.

Bradenton just to the north is not as "glitzy" as Sarasota, but has beautiful beaches (Anna Maria Island) and a better artist village than Sarasota. It is #22 on the American Style list of best art towns.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,764 times
Default Siskiyou county, CA

libertyartsyreka.org
siskiyouartscouncil.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or