U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 AM

8,086 posts, read 4,421,113 times

Advertisements

Spent a few hours in Floyd (near the NC border, not all that far from the Blue Ridge Parkway) about 3 years ago. Seemed like a nice town, though smaller than what we want. Maybe Mayberryish is a good description.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
They say Floyd, VA is quite artsy and although I'm not interested in such, I'm surely interested in Floyd County. I, too, find living in the Texas summers more than I want anymore and am looking forward to my great escape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,245 times
Default To beecee ~ Bobbi C.

We too are gardeners about a decade away from retirement and are looking for a non-humid place to move to based on culture, jobs and housing prices. We seem to have a lot in common (used to live in TX - go Longhorns! and I am a former writer). Keep me posted on what you find. Is Kerrville a non-humid part of TX?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:53 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,610,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
If a person is looking to live in a small city or town that has not only an "artist's colony" feel, but also the charm and character of a safe, clean and quaint place with interesting shops and cafes/restaurants it seems to me that those places where gay people have gravitated to will fit the bill:

Provincetown, MA
Ogunquit, ME
New Hope, PA
Lambertville, NJ
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Key West, FL
Laguna Beach, CA
Saugatuck, MI

From my experience and observations, gay men and gay male couples seem to have a "knack" for scouting out inexpensive affordable places that have a beauty and charm and loads of potential. When they move in, they immediately start renovating and beautifying the place. In the suburbs of Philadelphia, two towns that have been "adopted" by gays are Haddonfield and Collingswood, New Jersey, that are seeing even in these troubled economic times a "renaissance" and the property values are rising significantly. Savvy home buyers and real estate investors know this.
Good list, thanks for sharing. However, are any of these affordable? I guess the question is where the next art town will develop, so folks can get in before the real estate and rents soar.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A lot of people/retirees want to live in an artsy area even though they're not artists themselves and not likely to be. It's kind of a classy affiliation that people like to have. And, artsy places are also pricey places, after they've gotten discovered. NewYorkers "discovered" the sleepy artist town of Northampton (home of Smith College) in the early 80s, drove up the cost of real estate by bringing in and adding to the native wealth, and in large part driving out many lower-income artists from their inexpensive downtown studios. Now those upper floors of downtown above pricey specialty shops and galleries are high-end apartments and office suites, and the occasional studio for the wealthier artists. People come from all over the area to visit "artsy" Northampton, not realizing that the original artists that made is so great can no longer afford to work their art there. Same with Provincetown, etc.

The best place for working artists are places that have not been discovered and are not likely to be. But anywhere there is a concentration of artists is likely already discovered.
Great explanation. This has happened around the country, and no greater example around than NYC, SoHo, Tribeca, etc. In the 50's and 60's these neighborhoods had cheap industrial lofts that many artists rented to do their work. When it became trendy to live in lofts, the rich folks moved in and the rents went up, so the artists had to move out to other areas that were cheaper, and not necessarily safe. Same thing happened in San Francisco and artists now live in Oakland, etc. It would be great to find a place that's both charming (maybe a little artsy) and affordable. Does it exist?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
The first place that comes to my mind is Savannah, Ga.

Savannah City Market : Art

SCAD > The University for Creative Careers
I visited Savannah about 15 years ago, and the center of town was great and very charming, but it was surrounded by "not so great" areas, that appeared unsafe. Maybe more of Savannah has been developed, but the historical center of town, while charming, was quite small back then. Has anything changed? Is it affordable?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good list, thanks for sharing. However, are any of these affordable? I guess the question is where the next art town will develop, so folks can get in before the real estate and rents soar.
Take a look at Eureka Springs, AR and pricier Murphys, CA.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Berea, Kentucky is an artist colony, a lovely college town, historic, lots and lots of shops and galleries.

The Kentucky Guild of Artists & Craftsmen

Artisan Center

Berea Arts Council

Gorgeous Daniel Boone Inn:
Boone Tavern Hotel & Restaurant | Berea College

berea, ky - Google Search sVKrTpSVIonlsQL3-6mLDw
Thanks for mentioning Berea. I've read that KY is a good tax state for retirees, with good retirement exemptions, etc. I'll have to check it out.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,641,395 times
I would also mention Durango, CO. Durango is a center for Native American art for both the Navajo & Ute tribes.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:28 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
You can cross out the first two on dear Clark Park's wonderful list. These towns are indeed great, but you'd have to be quite well heeled to even rent let alone buy there. Plus, oldsters moving there would be stuck in serious tourist traffic all summer long.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Thanks for mentioning Berea. I've read that KY is a good tax state for retirees, with good retirement exemptions, etc. I'll have to check it out.
I saw online that they also have a senior center and apparently senior transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or