Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:55 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Forget the corned beef.....I'd like to know where someone buys milk for 90 cents/gallon!
Now, leave the 90 cent a gallon milk to us poor people. The patricians, with means like yourself, need to drink the milk that reflects your social status and station in life--that organic, natural, milk from free ranged cows that are raised on Kentucky clover and massaged and hand milked by virginal milk maids. It should cost about $7.50 a pint.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 05:51 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
OK, I'm impressed. I daydream about chucking the corporate lifestyle and retiring to a quiet area where I can raise chickens and have a garden. Sounds like several of you have done it successfully.

DH and I have a decent amount of money saved up and $150K equity in the house. But I can't get past one thing - what in the heck do you do for health insurance? I'm 52, he's 58 and has several health issues that don't cause him problems, but require meds and checkups. That's my primary reason for working but honestly, I can't stand the thought of staying in this environment for 7 more years until he's eligible for Medicare.

If I could figure this one out, I'd be scouting for my dream location right now!
The main reason farmers in my area have a spouse working an off farm job is-----health insurance

Unless you are wealthy , paying for health insurance before age 65 is a huge obstacle.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
To the woman who doesn't want to wait seven years until husband can get Medicare, Medicare won't cover her. Did I miss something about her having health insurance without a job?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:23 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
To the woman who doesn't want to wait seven years until husband can get Medicare, Medicare won't cover her. Did I miss something about her having health insurance without a job?
That's me. No...I fully expect to pay for my own healthcare - but I am relatively healthy, for now at least, and have no pre-existing conditions that would prevent me from obtaining a policy. My husband is limited by his current health issues and insurance probably won't cover some of his current conditions. For example, he had a total hip replacement 12 years ago and chances are, he'll need surgery on it again in the next 7 -10 years.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:08 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
our stove would probley cost us 100 bucks in electricity just to light it ha ha ha i think just our fruit and vegetable bill a week is about 50 bucks.

the thought of feeding my wife and i on 3 bucks a day is a joke here.... thats a cup of coffee ... if i make it myself we can have the coffee and a buttered roll.

im curious what you live on for 3 bucks a day.... we cant even do tv dinners for that price
How are you paying for $100 alone? Is it Electric or Gas?
You can buy groceries in bulk for wholesale price like the store Costo/Sam's Club.

Cup O Noodles is like 49 cents a cup.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yeah, me too.

And of course, the "nonsensical" description is only half of the rationalization.

The other insult is that those who spend on such things are only doing it to impress other people.
Still don't understand how impressing others will help their life?

I have seen a $2 car with $2000 Trims with loud music.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a funny story about sensless purchases was being kind of a car buff since im a kid i always wanted to have a bmw just to see what the allure was about.

being practical my entire life i could never get myself to get one. the thought of so much money for a car when i could invest it just made it something i couldnt do..

well we were recently going to get another car and my wife says you know we are entering that last down of our lives and for alot of the more frivilous things this is our last chance before the paychecks stop to do something you want so why dont we lease a bmw for a bit , you will get it out of your system and then we will buy a car later on after the lease is up. you deserve it and we are well placed for retirement so think about it..

she didnt have to twist my arm much and so we did it....

the only thing was all the cars shipped to our area had the cold weather pkg and heated steering wheels..

i laughed about the 200.00 bucks for a heated steering wheel.. what a waste of money i said, a shame we cant get a car with the options we want without this....

well i got to tell you that heated steering wheel turned out to be my favorite option.. it was wonderful on those below zero pennsylvania mornings..

having my hands warm instantly just warmed up my entire body while waiting for the heated seats and the heat in the car to do there thing.....

out of everything on the bmw the thing i would miss the most was that silly "sensless steering wheel heater"

by the way when the lease was up they made us such an incredible deal on a new one because they no longer were offering that model for lease so they were trying to keep their customers from leasing from benz or lexus so they made attractive programs to buy other models instead of leasing. we wanted to buy a car anyway , so i just bought one for the same price as the nissan xterra we were going to get would have cost us once the free bmw maintaince was put in the equation. . yep had the steering wheel heater.
Was there anything special about a BMW then other modest cars? I mean it does look good though.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I mix four grains to form our 'feed', my Dw did the math, I think it worked out to about $7 per 50 pounds of feed.

We go through about 75 pounds of feed a week.

I like being rural.

Kayaks just behind the house near the water's edge.

The forest is up close to the house on most sides, so we get wildlife coming right up to near our house. I can go 'hunting' by sitting on the porch, and take a deer, turkey, or moose.

Beneath the forest canopy we have hog pens, goat / sheep paddocks, a row of greenhouses that I built for our chickens; I grow ginseng and we pick mushrooms.

I tap maple sap for syrup in the spring.

We tend our fruit orchards from time to time, and have raised beds with veggies and garlic.

Not everyone likes rural.

Not every one likes the 'farm lifestyle' [I mean no insult to actual farmers who must earn a living from it, I am hesitant to call myself a farmer, because they work hard]

I worked hard for 20+ years in a career where I focused on being a warrior and the most efficient methods of killing people; I am a combat vet.

Now I get to choose my lifestyle.

I do not want to hear traffic; I do not want to smell traffic. I do not want to be in crowds. The sights and sounds of teeming mobs of people are not what I wish to experience.

I do not want to have to put on that 'level of awareness' that is required by my profession.

I want to grow things.

So I chose this lifestyle for my retirement.

You live out in the country?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yeah, I feel it's amazing, but local towing company sells ~300 cars / week at auction. These have been towed for illegal parking, broke down, trespassing, drug bust ... Minimum bid is based on scrap price so varies from $35 > $150 depending on steel market and size of vehicle. I have often bought a car just for its tires. It is amazing to see how many of the cars drive back the next week!! These sales are in OR where license plates are good for 2 yrs, so those with new plates bring a few extra bucks. Many druggies and drunks buy cars with good plates, then never register them (and hope they don't get stopped, or that they can run fast). I have got a few cars for free from folks seeing me towing my Diesel VWs home on a trailer. I have a pristine '84 Rabbit that cost me $50 and I might bring it back to the rust belt and sell for Big bucks ($1000, is big bucks to me)

There are some travails of a $35 car. I've never had AC that worked (but I don't need it, live in Mtns). I usually have to fix something (wipers, heater, radio, ...). I have spent too much $$ on some (maybe $500 in parts for 100,000 miles). If you have to buy dino diesel, it cost more to fill the car, than the car is worth

When buying a car from abandoned vehicle auction BE SURE to check the trunk!! (the boot). You don't want to end up with a dead body, it will cost you serious opportunity costs while car is under investigation, It is cheaper to buy it back at the next sale Sometimes you can get a loser, then you need to part it out on eBay for $500.

Are you sure you did not buy that from Toys R' US?
Do these cars even run?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
OK, I'm impressed. I daydream about chucking the corporate lifestyle and retiring to a quiet area where I can raise chickens and have a garden. Sounds like several of you have done it successfully.

DH and I have a decent amount of money saved up and $150K equity in the house. But I can't get past one thing - what in the heck do you do for health insurance? I'm 52, he's 58 and has several health issues that don't cause him problems, but require meds and checkups. That's my primary reason for working but honestly, I can't stand the thought of staying in this environment for 7 more years until he's eligible for Medicare.

If I could figure this one out, I'd be scouting for my dream location right now!
Lets hope the Senate passes Obama's Health Care Reform. House passed it last night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement