U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Reputation: 18049

Advertisements

Most can not retire on any thing at age under 62 unless its their own money tho. Also given the choice i am sure you would have retired much different. That is the question because most retire on disabilty with others paying the cost willingly for them to do so.But its not what is best for indivduals or society as a whole. In fact its in crisis from revenue shortages coming soon.Anyone who does has to plan on paying their way and consider things carefully.I would bet most would rather work their entire lifes than be disabled. We are talking about retiring at 40;not going on disabilty at that age. That is not really a choice.

Last edited by texdav; 11-05-2009 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,543,532 times
Reputation: 6928
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Most can not retire on any thing at age under 62 unless its their own money tho. Also given the choice i am sure you would have retired much different. That is the question because most retire on disabilty with others paying the cost willingly for them to do so.But its not what is best for indivduals or society as a whole. In fact its in crisis from revenue shortages coming soon.Anyone who does has to plan on paying their way and consider things carefully.I would bet most would rather work their entire lifes than be disabled. We are talking about retiring at 40;not going on disabilty at that age. That is not really a choice.
You have made some good points. Most people cannot retire on their own money before age 62.

Yes, you are correct about me that I wish, everday, I had another choice of retirement. I did not want to go on disability. I resisted applying for Social Security Disability and tried to continue to work. I was forced into it by not being able to work and I could not get health insurance, after COBRA ended.

All my plans for my career and life, ended. I was forced now to live on much less. I did not anticipate getting suddenly ill in my 40s, which should be your best earning years. The depression, the angst, the despair was my constant companion which I did not need as I do have much physical pain and illness.

So, you are correct, no one in their right mind would choose to be disabled. Sure, tomorrow, I can wake up and do what I want to do, without any obligations, but what I want is many times prevented by pain and illness, for my medical problems are variable from day to day. There are also times that I wish that I will never wake up.

Again, you are right, you must think more, everyday how you will survive without monetary help and paying your own way. The only way I know is to be frugal and reduce wants and needs to a simple life--that is still under my control.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Reputation: 19129
Obviously I know many other military retirees.

I would say that we fall into 2 groups; most focused on career and did not think about retirement at all until the last month before it happened. I know men who retired, and flying back stateside still had no idea of what they were going to do. No portfolio, no house paid for, and no idea of what state to move to or what school their kids would be transferring to. They each jumped into a follow-on career, mostly corporate. Whatever they could find.

I know one guy [in my lodge] who returned stateside with no plans, he took a 6-week fishing trip hiking somewhere, when he returned he shaved, put on a suit and tie, and got a corporate job within the week.

And then there was a second group of us. Guys who realized that on X day they would be thrown out and getting a pension. So they began saving, investing, paying off a house, and planning what they wanted to do next.

In that first group of men I would include the guys who went to their home-town [that they had not lived in for 20 years] and started college, and seem to have made follow-on careers as pro college students.

In the second group, are mostly guys who bought homes overseas during one of their tours, and are happy living the ex-patriot lifestyle.

I know men in both of these groups.

To my knowledge, I personally know of only two of us who focused early on to retire stateside. I would not have been able to have done it, without my investments. Had my investments failed, I would likely be living overseas now. I really do not want to go corporate. The other guy bought 'the family farm' early in his career and his uncle stayed on it, until he retired.

On the other hand, most of these guys retired at 38.

I really do not know how many of them retired in their 40s, like I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,052,348 times
Reputation: 2625
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes you can retire on any income and do whatever you want as long as you do not want much. I was forced into retirement when I was in my 40s by a disability. I had little savings and I have no pension--only Social Security Disability. I never made much money so my benefits are not the highest. But for 15 years...

I have lived debt free in my own mortgage free house and I can do whatever I want. That is because my wants and needs are less, I live simply with minimum desires...so I can do anything I want because I want very little; I need very little to be happy.

I am free. I can turn my back on all the nonsensical expensive attractions of society. I live to my own standards of success; I buy what I want and not to impress. Tomorrow, I will get up when I want, go where I want; and not owe any work effort or money to anyone--I am free.

livecontent
Good stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,133 posts, read 20,817,345 times
Reputation: 8293
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Obviously I know many other military retirees.

I would say that we fall into 2 groups; most focused on career and did not think about retirement at all until the last month before it happened. I know men who retired, and flying back stateside still had no idea of what they were going to do. No portfolio, no house paid for, and no idea of what state to move to or what school their kids would be transferring to. They each jumped into a follow-on career, mostly corporate. Whatever they could find.

I know one guy [in my lodge] who returned stateside with no plans, he took a 6-week fishing trip hiking somewhere, when he returned he shaved, put on a suit and tie, and got a corporate job within the week.

And then there was a second group of us. Guys who realized that on X day they would be thrown out and getting a pension. So they began saving, investing, paying off a house, and planning what they wanted to do next.

In that first group of men I would include the guys who went to their home-town [that they had not lived in for 20 years] and started college, and seem to have made follow-on careers as pro college students.

In the second group, are mostly guys who bought homes overseas during one of their tours, and are happy living the ex-patriot lifestyle.

I know men in both of these groups.

To my knowledge, I personally know of only two of us who focused early on to retire stateside. I would not have been able to have done it, without my investments. Had my investments failed, I would likely be living overseas now. I really do not want to go corporate. The other guy bought 'the family farm' early in his career and his uncle stayed on it, until he retired.

On the other hand, most of these guys retired at 38.

I really do not know how many of them retired in their 40s, like I did.
I had a mixed career 10 years Active and the same Reserve along with a Federal Civilian career, when I retired at 53 I had a very good combination. I still like to live by Ft Huachuca, It just feels comfortable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 AM
 
71,511 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Reputation: 49088
i always chuckle at how anything someone cant afford or chooses not to buy or do becomes a non sensible purchase...


ill bet anything if they had the dough to spend on some of these sensless purchases they would love whatever it was.


reminds me of when i drive: anyone going slower then me is a dangerous hazard, anyone going faster then me is a stupid menace to the road
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 AM
 
71,511 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Reputation: 49088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
You can live off $100 a month for food if you cook at home.
our stove would probley cost us 100 bucks in electricity just to light it ha ha ha i think just our fruit and vegetable bill a week is about 50 bucks.


the thought of feeding my wife and i on 3 bucks a day is a joke here.... thats a cup of coffee ... if i make it myself we can have the coffee and a buttered roll.


im curious what you live on for 3 bucks a day.... we cant even do tv dinners for that price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 AM
 
8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Reputation: 17964
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i always chuckle at how anything someone cant afford or chooses not to buy or do becomes a non sensible purchase...
Yeah, me too.

And of course, the "nonsensical" description is only half of the rationalization.

The other insult is that those who spend on such things are only doing it to impress other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 AM
 
71,511 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Reputation: 49088
damn you made me feel like such a capitalistic pig...... ha ha


curse you madman..... lol


for 3 bucks a day for a food budget i would just hold an eating contest!

first person to find something to eat wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 05:36 AM
 
71,511 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Reputation: 49088
a funny story about sensless purchases was being kind of a car buff since im a kid i always wanted to have a bmw just to see what the allure was about.

being practical my entire life i could never get myself to get one. the thought of so much money for a car when i could invest it just made it something i couldnt do..

well we were recently going to get another car and my wife says you know we are entering that last down of our lives and for alot of the more frivilous things this is our last chance before the paychecks stop to do something you want so why dont we lease a bmw for a bit , you will get it out of your system and then we will buy a car later on after the lease is up. you deserve it and we are well placed for retirement so think about it..

she didnt have to twist my arm much and so we did it....

the only thing was all the cars shipped to our area had the cold weather pkg and heated steering wheels..

i laughed about the 200.00 bucks for a heated steering wheel.. what a waste of money i said, a shame we cant get a car with the options we want without this....

well i got to tell you that heated steering wheel turned out to be my favorite option.. it was wonderful on those below zero pennsylvania mornings..

having my hands warm instantly just warmed up my entire body while waiting for the heated seats and the heat in the car to do there thing.....

out of everything on the bmw the thing i would miss the most was that silly "sensless steering wheel heater"

by the way when the lease was up they made us such an incredible deal on a new one because they no longer were offering that model for lease so they were trying to keep their customers from leasing from benz or lexus so they made attractive programs to buy other models instead of leasing. we wanted to buy a car anyway , so i just bought one for the same price as the nissan xterra we were going to get would have cost us once the free bmw maintaince was put in the equation. . yep had the steering wheel heater.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-06-2009 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top