Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 AM

409 posts, read 2,633,969 times

Advertisements

I have resons and facts to belive that Moderator cut: Sorry. No names of places here (legal reasons) Thanks.

is commiting fraud. It appears that the institution reports that X number of people assisted the Center on a given day when in actuality less people attended!
That is only one of the infair practices. The food they give out is by no means being closely monitored by a authorized dietician. Is a hot dog considered good food for people with heart or blood problems? How about chilly dog with cake? Barbacoa? What if this was given more than once a week?
I also happened to have contact with some of the employees. Many are indirectly forced to participate in this and some are even unaware of how thing are supposed to be. I am really conserned with this. I just hope the same does not happen in other centers.
What government department should I contact to report my observations?
What do you think about this?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-28-2008 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:10 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
You would report your concerns to your state's office of the ombudsman, or department of health and senior services. In many states, you are required to report suspected abuse/neglect.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,200 times
Default Fraud in Adult Day Health Care Centers

Unfortunately, illegal activity (fraud, dependent adult/elder abuse, etc.) within this health service industry is on the rise. Here's how you can help control it's growth.
1. Each state licenses and certifies the Centers within the specific state.
2. Each Center is licensed on the condition that it operates within very specific guidelines (dietary regulations, health and safety rules, health and welfare codes, building and safety, etc.) The Center you have raised is in violation of many of these laws and regulations.
3. Since you have the exact name of the Center and their location (state), here are specific agencies that can help you report fraudulent activity: a) The state's Attorney General Medicare/Medicaid fraud unit; b) The state's licensing/certification agency - e.g., in California it's the Department of Public Health, in Georgia it's the Dept. of Human Resources. Of course, if you have access to the Center, the agency is on the license, which they are supposed to post!
If all else fails, feel free to contact me and I will direct you to the Audits and Investigations unit of the specific state. The federal government has put teeth into the laws governing Adult Day Health Care Centers, and eventually the criminal Centers are inspected directly by the FBI, and face charges prosecuted by the Dept. of Justice.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 PM

409 posts, read 2,633,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricaburton View Post
Unfortunately, illegal activity (fraud, dependent adult/elder abuse, etc.) within this health service industry is on the rise. Here's how you can help control it's growth.
1. Each state licenses and certifies the Centers within the specific state.
2. Each Center is licensed on the condition that it operates within very specific guidelines (dietary regulations, health and safety rules, health and welfare codes, building and safety, etc.) The Center you have raised is in violation of many of these laws and regulations.
3. Since you have the exact name of the Center and their location (state), here are specific agencies that can help you report fraudulent activity: a) The state's Attorney General Medicare/Medicaid fraud unit; b) The state's licensing/certification agency - e.g., in California it's the Department of Public Health, in Georgia it's the Dept. of Human Resources. Of course, if you have access to the Center, the agency is on the license, which they are supposed to post!
If all else fails, feel free to contact me and I will direct you to the Audits and Investigations unit of the specific state. The federal government has put teeth into the laws governing Adult Day Health Care Centers, and eventually the criminal Centers are inspected directly by the FBI, and face charges prosecuted by the Dept. of Justice.

I made a couple of calls. Nothing happened.
I hope the owner is not friends with someone important in the city because if it is the case, it will be very hard to stop them.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,711 times
Unfortunately most facilities connected to Medicare and Medicaid are involved in fraud. My best friend has a very ill mother who has been in and out of hospitals and recovery homes for several years. What they charge compared to what they are providing is horrible. Is it that they are not getting paid enough or is it greed? I don't know, but I do know that the poor seniors are the victims. Can you complain. NO. Everybody is in on it and nobody will listen to you even if you have documented facts. It doesn't matter how many calls you make, nobody cares. All I can tell people out there is that if your parents or loved ones are in this situation, you have to be there and make sure they are getting meals, and clean clothes and the proper care. The squeaky wheel will get the oil, but the poor people who have no one will be victimized.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:12 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Unfortunately most facilities connected to Medicare and Medicaid are involved in fraud.
Well, I don't know about "most," but this is one reason people should have LTC insurance. You want to be able to go to a facility of your own choosing when necessary, not be assigned to a low-quality facility because it might be the only one in the area that accepts Medicaid patients.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:01 PM

298 posts, read 704,301 times
Call the county human/social services department or the office on aging (names vary depending on which state you're in) to report elder abuse/neglect. I retired from the county here in WI as an adult protective services social worker and I guarantee we would have begun investigating within 24 hours as required by law. I'm sure there are equivalent investigators in other states.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 12,223 times
Default Reporting Concerns About Elder Abuse / Neglect

I suggest you address such concerns to the State Long-Term Ombudsman within the Department of Aging. To discuss this further, send me an e-mail at tvfields@oh.rr.com

is commiting fraud. It appears that the institution reports that X number of people assisted the Center on a given day when in actuality less people attended!
That is only one of the infair practices. The food they give out is by no means being closely monitored by a authorized dietician. Is a hot dog considered good food for people with heart or blood problems? How about chilly dog with cake? Barbacoa? What if this was given more than once a week?
I also happened to have contact with some of the employees. Many are indirectly forced to participate in this and some are even unaware of how thing are supposed to be. I am really conserned with this. I just hope the same does not happen in other centers.
What government department should I contact to report my observations?
What do you think about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement