Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:59 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
49 for me, but I always worked PT jobs and stashed my salary (until I bought a farm, age 30...). Things kinda went downhill after that, so an age 35 retirement didn't happen as planned. (even tho my coworkers threw me a 'retirement' party). I was really disappointed to have to come in to work the next week... Working night shift really helped savings plan (15% pay premium + paid lunch breaks and free food - all day was free for other jobs, helping elderly neighbors, or farming (as well as eldercare and homeschooling). Logged 32 yrs at a great employer that turned sour when 'the most powerful woman in business' took the reins. In 5 yrs she destroyed a 65 yr old company that was cash rich (we floated loans to the GOV so they could make payroll).

Life-style.... ?? Anything is much easier than growing up an a dairy farm, followed by 30 yrs of eldercare responsibility. This is a picnic.

I do drive a 30 yr old car that cost me $35 and gets 50 mpg on free fryer grease, and eat / entertain on $100/ month. Considering moving overseas to reduce spending in the future, probably until I'm 70 or so (in case of hyper-inflation). I don't think these jokers are gonna pull it together.
A $35 car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
100 a month to eat, ooooh my god i can do that in a day ha ha ha... our retirement budget for food and eating out is about 1000 a month. our grocery bill alone for my wife and i is 150 a week and we are always picking up other stuff during the course of the week.....

my wife and i took a ride to the bronx zoo and it cost us 100 bucks with noooooo food. just admission, parking and tolls. the metropolitan museum of art which is a city museum is 40 bucks a couple to get in the door.

just taking the kids out with their spouses for a lunch is 100 bucks....

guess thats why you could retire at 49.
You can live off $100 a month for food if you cook at home.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
Will have no income until I can draw retirement at 50. Bought CA real estate in early 90s, paid it off, and just cashed it out to move to less expensive area. Always lived below my means: didn't buy the most expensive home I could afford, cooked my own meals, brought lunch to work instead of eating out, didn't take expensive vacations, drove my car for 13 years and 180,000 miles, maxed out 401 contributions and savings/IRA...stuff like that. Oh, and no kids.

Good job. Now you can take the expensive vacations.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Almost retired at 50 but decided to wait (now 51 1/2 and thinking of doing it at 55 -- I know that's a common number but it does actually coincide with a few things I have going). I am glad I waited since the markets took a turn for the worse - I have been investing every penny I possibly can...I love buying when things are cheap!

I have over a dozen rental properties - all will be paid off in the next couple of years. Bought them one at a time over the last 25 years on short notes. Maxed out 401K and other stocks and investments. Fortunately I bought in a good area and rents are still good, but I can say I have seen some affects from the economy.

Not so sure it's a good idea to retire in your 40s. Just get in some international travel in those years. I will probably do something after 'retirement' - I used to sell Real Estate and still have my broker's license - will probably do that after 55.

I started to invest in Mutual Funds in the Summer of 2007. I have almost recovered for all my loses. But I did take the maximum advantage of the Dollar Cost Average. I guess I am in a big treat right?

Maybe work part-time in your 40's?

Old 11-05-2009, 04:07 PM

Hardly anyone does Pension anymore. Its all 401K, 401K Roth, and compamy stock options.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I just think you would get bored if you retired in your 40s was my point .. plus you can really sock some away during those years if you planned well in your late 20s and 30s. My 40s was when I made most of my 'fortune'.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I know many military people who retired with a pension for life at/before age 40.

However, every one of them started a new civilian career.

So for those folks the ---retirement-- part got them a pension for life but they are only retired from their 1st career and just starting their 2nd career.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:14 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
I just think you would get bored if you retired in your 40s was my point .. plus you can really sock some away during those years if you planned well in your late 20s and 30s. My 40s was when I made most of my 'fortune'.
I got it.

Some career fields offer a 20-year pension because it is expected that if you can survive 20 years you fairly well worn-out at that point.

The accumulation of disabilities make many of us military retirees rather like the walking wounded.

I am glad that I was forced out by 'High-Year-Tenure'.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
When I say retired around 40's. I meant retired financially which means you can do whatever you want.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
When I say retired around 40's. I meant retired financially which means you can do whatever you want.
Yes you can retire on any income and do whatever you want as long as you do not want much. I was forced into retirement when I was in my 40s by a disability. I had little savings and I have no pension--only Social Security Disability. I never made much money so my benefits are not the highest. But for 15 years...

I have lived debt free in my own mortgage free house and I can do whatever I want. That is because my wants and needs are less, I live simply with minimum desires...so I can do anything I want because I want very little; I need very little to be happy.

I am free. I can turn my back on all the nonsensical expensive attractions of society. I live to my own standards of success; I buy what I want and not to impress. Tomorrow, I will get up when I want, go where I want; and not owe any work effort or money to anyone--I am free.

livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement