U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,838,555 times

Advertisements

Pacing myself in case I have to spring into action
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,057,804 times
I cleaned my "greenhouse" window - bigger job than it sounds, cleaned house, made some pumpkin custards, applied to be a bike patrol volunteer for the local national park, talked with my favorite brother for a few hours, shredded old receipts to make a huge pile of confetti. Made a big pile of old books to get rid of. I think I'm decompressed now and ready to tackle the big clean-out project in earnest now.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:41 PM

482 posts, read 2,204,525 times
I am FINALLY feeling like I am retired and it is great! Today I called to get all our new doctors lined up and medical records transferred. Moving the day you retire kind of takes away some of the excitement until you get settled, tags transferred/new DL's, etc. Since we are planning a 6 week RV trip starting mid-April I am not wanting to get locked into much right now...just relaxing!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,989,331 times
Serious shopping. Ordered a new kitchen and other things. Making the house exactly how we want for our 'old' age.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 PM

Love being retired. We can get all this DIY, remodeling, and redecorating done within a couple of months instead of taking up every weekend for a year because of something called a job.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,784,379 times
First full day in Costa Rica, had lunch at McDs and finger pointed my way through my order. The young Ticos (that is how Costa Ricians refer to themselves) are extremely polite and helpful to gringos. We're going to Sarchi tomorrow morning to see the wood art and then have lunch with some friends. The weather is sunny, mid 80s daytime and mid 60s in the evening. Life is great!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 PM

I'd rather be in Costa Rica. However, I'm at home in chilly Scotland. Today I painted our hallway.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:31 AM

11,103 posts, read 12,491,223 times
This was yesterday...got up early to drive an hour to take my General Class amateur radio exam in a small mountain town 60 miles from my small mountain town. Heavy snow, and I found out I was the only one testing. All three examiners showed up and I PASSED! There must have been a good 5" or more of snow when I left and drove back down the mountain. Thank goodness for my Jeep. I took my older sisters to lunch at a Mennonite cafe near their home. Amazingly good food all you can eat for about $6.00 including salad or soup, dessert and a drink. Spent some time with them catching up on family gossip, and just visiting. Stopped snowing and drove back here and stopped at the "big city" of 10,000 on my way here to do some shopping. When I got back home sun was shining and it was 40 degrees. Strange weather. Stopped at the local Citgo station and put $60.00 in gas in my Jeep, it was empty and talked to some local folks and caught up on, what else, gossip and this crazy weather. I put up a wire antenna on my patio since it has to be hidden and made a contact with a Boeing 787 special event station in Washington state on the ham radio, my first since my license upgrade. Very exciting for me. Then supper of fried shrimp, dirty rice and garlic bread. Relaxed last night and read a book.

Boring to some, goofy to others. Just a great day to me.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Well done, Jim, on passing your exam.

Still more DIY shopping to remodel the kitchen. Tomorrow I do more painting, hub continues constructing cupboards.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:50 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,400,186 times
I got as much of my taxes done as possible - still waiting for some of the major forms. The time consuming subtotals are done. I continue to sort through "stuff" that needs to go, whether through a garage sale or via donations. I swear this house is 500 lbs. lighter. Lots of paper, etc...

Congrats on passing your test, Jim! Isn't it nice to just be free to do as you please?! Yank~~~ - hope you share pics when you're done with your remodeling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or