Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I got as much of my taxes done as possible - still waiting for some of the major forms. The time consuming subtotals are done. I continue to sort through "stuff" that needs to go, whether through a garage sale or via donations. I swear this house is 500 lbs. lighter. Lots of paper, etc...

Congrats on passing your test, Jim! Isn't it nice to just be free to do as you please?! Yank~~~ - hope you share pics when you're done with your remodeling
Will do. Already took the 'before pics'. Would love to fast forward to the after ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 02:49 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
As someone who retired "involuntarily" (disabled due to severe degenerative disk disease), I'd suggest one thing to anyone who's still able-bodied: Do as much as you can, go as many places as you can, shop as much as you can, cook as much as you can, sightsee as much as you can -- because some day, you may not be able to do those things. There will be time for reading, watching TV and using the computer later. Not to be a downer, but I see all the things you guys do, and wish I had done more when I was able. Enjoy your retirement...I love reading about your daily activities!

Old 02-07-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
As someone who retired "involuntarily" (disabled due to severe degenerative disk disease), I'd suggest one thing to anyone who's still able-bodied: Do as much as you can, go as many places as you can, shop as much as you can, cook as much as you can, sightsee as much as you can -- because some day, you may not be able to do those things. There will be time for reading, watching TV and using the computer later. Not to be a downer, but I see all the things you guys do, and wish I had done more when I was able. Enjoy your retirement...I love reading about your daily activities!
That's good advice. My hub retired at 55 due to an illness that was likely to be permanent. But thankfully he fully recovered. At 58 and 61 we do lots of travelling, outdoor adventures because we know as we age we may not be able to.

Hope you are getting as much enjoyment as possible in your life.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 PM

Yank, thanks for the kind words. Yes, I still find enjoyment in life, but there are so many little things I can't do anymore -- always worrying about whether I'll be able to sit, whether the chair will be comfortable or hurt my back, will I have to walk far, will I have to stand in line, etc. etc. What a pain (literally, LOL!). Anyway, I'd love to hear how you landed in Scotland....is there a thread with your story somewhere?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Avalon, I put a companion ad online as I was looking for an adventure. Placed it in Ireland. Low and behold I eventually got a reply from a wonderful Scot. Spent lots of time with him in UK and US. Got married and lived happily ever after. That was 10 years ago. Adore Scotland....oh and hub as well.

Hope your day is a good one. I'm a very bad patient and turn into a monster when I'm ill or in pain.

Today, painted the kitchen that we are remodeling. Listened to hub swear a lot when he pulled off the old wall tiles and lots of plaster came with it (old house). Even more work now than expected.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 PM

Yank, that is a fascinating story! It must be so interesting to completely uproot and move to another country.

We are snowed in here with the East Coast blizzards. Unbelievable weather....snow is piled everywhere, nowhere else to put it....possibility of more on Mon....everyone's tired of it. My big excitement today was watching the premiere of Season 20 of "Survivor", my favorite show.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Yank, that is a fascinating story! It must be so interesting to completely uproot and move to another country.

We are snowed in here with the East Coast blizzards. Unbelievable weather....snow is piled everywhere, nowhere else to put it....possibility of more on Mon....everyone's tired of it. My big excitement today was watching the premiere of Season 20 of "Survivor", my favorite show.
I've been watching the blizzards on tv. Bad! It's been unusual here as it's been sunny for 4 days in a row. Normally there is at least drizzly. Temps in the 40's.

Interesting to move to another country?! You bet! Stressful at first because I really didn't realize how many differences there really were. But Scotland felt like home very soon after arrival. My sons were well-grown when I moved, no house to sell, so it wasn't too bad.

Still remodeling kitchen. A couple more weeks at least. So glad hub is good at this stuff and does it right.

Big excitement today - watching another episode of Lost.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:

You might enjoy my blog about volunteering in Uganda for 2 years. Very different from the US or UK!

Danny & Annie @ VSO

Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,122 times
Got up early, played war game on Evony.com... It takes up most of my day, sitting at my computer and just waiting for things to build up, so that I can kill people LOL... Waste of life...sheesh.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 02-26-2010, 05:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
After visiting Panera for a cup of coffee and conversation, saw this guy in concert. Very entertaining......

Chubby Checker - The Official Site

The came home to watch the USA men's hockey team demolish Finland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement