U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,845,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Drove to my older sisters house 60 miles from me. Helped put Christmas lights and decorations on their house, grilled steaks (38 degrees), had a great time. Drove home to the mountains, dodged a bagillion deer on the highway and it's 25 degrees. There was some snow this morning, some snow still on the ground and mountains. Drinking hot chocolate and watching the setting sun glow behind the mountains from my living room window. About 10 deer are quietly grazing in a field across from me.
Tell those deer to stay away from that beautiful convertible! I went deer hunting with my 500 SL last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,986,054 times
Today I did some xmas shopping here in Melbourne, Oz where I'm visiting for a month.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 PM

70 posts, read 252,450 times
Got up - watched the sun rise - let out the dogs - went into town to paint with friends for the morning - came home and took a long hike with the dogs out on a country lane. I'm so grateful to be done with the rat race

Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 PM

Went on a picnic to a park outside Melbourne. Unfortunately much of it was closed due to the massive bush fires about a year ago. Devastation everywhere. Very sad but a lovely day anyway.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:23 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Went on a picnic to a park outside Melbourne. Unfortunately much of it was closed due to the massive bush fires about a year ago. Devastation everywhere. Very sad but a lovely day anyway.

I read your homepage - what an amazingly exciting life you lead!!! This is how it should be!!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I read your homepage - what an amazingly exciting life you lead!!! This is how it should be!!
Exciting and adventurous at times, but living in different countries becomes routine after a while. Still, not complaining!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 AM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
unstressed
refreshed
inspired
retired!!!
tried to fix a computer and failed.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
on a leisurely walk today... I was awakened by a loud pop, a flash, then a 3 legged squirrel fell at my feet (smelling kinda crispy). That never happened while I was 'rushing' 2 and fro.

The day before a heckled young professional came charging down the airplane aisle, cell phone in one hand computer in the other, sat down in the middle seat feverishly finishing the call, then checking VM while booting the computer to check and send email and do some spreadsheet updating BEFORE the flight pushed back. - Flight attendant asked him about 3x to 'pack-it up', then rummaging through paper-work he got 'all ready' for productivity during the taxi>10,000ft 'e-dead-zone'. When he was frantic that he had pulled the wrong papers out, I suggested he 'lighten-up' and smell the 'roses' and listen to the babies scream - BEFORE he 'peaked' out. I explained that for 10 yrs I traveled and was away from home 25-40 wks / yr and acted just as silly.... We had a very good conversation for 2 hrs and I encouraged him to ENJOY his 4 yr old kid and the one due next month, and give the wife some thx for holding down the fort. He was an inventor and presenting a new product at a trade show. I gave him a list of companies he hadn't even considered (probably too buried in the forest). I will bet he has much more success with the ideas we discussed than the 'trade-show' lookers, and I hope he realizes the value of getting 'un-leashed', If not... OK by me, I enjoyed having the technical and rational conversation. (tho I had planned on reading... I have plenty of time for that

Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,292,962 times
Yesterday I just kind of hung around the house until about 5:00 or so, and then I headed out to meet some friends for dinner at a quirky little place in the Hampden area of Baltimore City. After sharing a bottle of wine and enjoying a really good meal, we walked down 34th Street to enjoy the Christmas lights. This is a Baltimore tradition, and all season long there is a caravan of cars and sightseers that visit this little block of rowhouses:

Home Page

Today, I went to the Baltimore Museum of Art to see the Edgar Allen Poe Exhibit. The exhibit includes works by Paul Gauguin, Odilon Redon, Édouard Manet, Henri Matisse, and others who derived their inspiration from the stories and poems penned by Poe. I enjoyed it a lot.

I also wandered around the museum to see some of the other exhibits; some of which I really loved, but others that I just didn't get. One display in particular really left me confused - a display of 100 various sized clear glass jars set up in a square on the floor. Regular jelly jars...washed and stripped of their labels. Huh? This is art? Guess I'm just hopelessly gauche .

The museum has free admission, and parking is only 50 cents an hour, so it's a real bargain. I try to get there every few months, as there's always something new to see.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 PM

Returned to Melbourne last night from Tasmania where we'd spent 5 nights. Today is lots of laundry and am beginning to pack to go home to Scotland on Tuesday. Did lots of xmas shopping here and have almost everyones gift now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or