U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:18 PM

13 posts, read 105,356 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a 55+ friendly town with weather that is temperate mainly less rain - I live in Seattle, Washington right now but due to crime, gangs, and the hideous cost of living - mostly housing costs I can't afford to stay here. I got caught literally between selling a home and finding it impossible to buy another here. I have looked into Knoxville, Tennessee since I lived in the S.E. years ago but decided the pollution is not a good thing nor the tornadoes, poisonous vermin... I have looked at Olympia, Washington and might go there but the rainfall is 10" more than Seattle. I am also looking into the Kennewick, Washington area. Basically I want an town that values retirees not as a commodity, safe to walk the streets, mild weather, sense of community and low cost of living. Does this still exist??

Any feedback would be helpful.

Last edited by newretiree; 05-13-2007 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 05:55 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,253,659 times
Where to retire? The answer is different for everyone. The southwest has some smaller affordable towns without a lot of rain. Here in southern Oregon there are quite a few retired people.
I am at the coast which gets a lot of rain but still has a lot of retired people. Cities like Grants Pass and Rosburg are not so wet. I don't know if they would be considered affordable though they cost less than Seattle.

I'm sure others will have some ideas on where to retire.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 AM

80 posts, read 436,062 times
newretiree-

Your mention of Knoxville, TN made me think of other places you may want to consider:
  • Asheville, NC
  • Chattanooga, TN
  • Greenville, SC
  • Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC
Let me know if I can be of additional service to you.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,927,671 times
Jay, have you been over to the "About the Forum" recently. I just realized you may not have seen the new and positive changes for REs at CD.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:59 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,108,591 times
Check out Arkansas.......... in the Ozarks, beautiful!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 10,537 times
have you ever thought of retiring abroad? There are many places out there where its cheap, has good weather and fun. Many americans go to mexico.
But more and more are considering Asia. Malaysia is also a good option.

Last edited by Jammie; 05-21-2007 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: advertising is not allowed

Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 AM

28,287 posts, read 39,960,606 times
Quote:
Knoxville, Tennessee since I lived in the S.E. years ago but decided the pollution is not a good thing nor the tornadoes, poisonous vermin
Pollution: You don't have to live in Knoxville. Check out the surrounding areas.

Tornadoes: If you're afraid of tornadoes you best stay where you are! Or look into the tri-cities area (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol). Closer to the mountains and not many tornadoes.

Poisonous vermin: Pretty much anywhere you go.

We bought a lot in Fairfield Glade, TN (by Crossville). Nice and quiet, not too far from civilization, inexpensive. Look for posts in the TN forum.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,465,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Check out Arkansas.......... in the Ozarks, beautiful!

Yes, Arkansas is lovely, but I've checked into it and it has too many tornadoes and is too hot and humid as well. I know it isn't as hot as many places but when I move again, I'd like liveable summers.

I'm considering Southwest Virginia in or near the mountains. The seasons are lovely, not hot, not too much snow in some places, and a place full of serenity and drop-dead gorgeous scenery from what the friendly people on the VA forums say. That sounds like my Heaven on Earth.

If you consider VA, check out the forums. It's full of tons of information and everyone is so kind and unpretentious. They seem so welcoming whereas on the TN forum, many pretty much want outsiders to stay away and are not very nice about it. They're not all like that, but many have that rude mentality. I don't blame them though because who wants to see beautiful unspoiled land ruin by housing development after development. I'd squawk too for sure. When I move, I'm going to be darn sure there won't be any developments within the next twenty-five years. Maybe I can find land near someone who will never sell and ruin the unspoiled land. I can only hope.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,011,334 times
The mid-south seems to be gaining popularity for retirees.
Most of these places have lower cost of living and are located near hospitals as well.
Crossville, TN
Cookeville, TN
Mountain Home, AR
Springfield, MO region

Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM

14 posts, read 77,234 times
Have you thought about Arizona? We retired in Tucson, which I just love, the climate (all those sunny days) is great, housing prices are good. We live in the country on 1 acre in a development with really really nice neighbors, some retired and some still working. Unfortunately we are moving back to the
northwest because all the family is there and we are missing the kids, grandkids. If it wasn't for that I stayed here. I'd be glad to answer any questions about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement