U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:28 PM

823 posts, read 3,373,852 times

Advertisements

I am retired and my wife will be retiring in the next few years at which time we plan on moving away from the NYC area. I would like to know if there is an area that meets our requirement or at least most of them.

Liveable humidity level (very important for health reasons).
Mild winters.
Near a city with a college (for cultural events).
Good medical facilities nearby.
Not too conservative.
Religious diversity. We are non practicing Jews but obviously would not want to live where Jews are discriminated against.
Within easy driving distance of an airport.
Good shopping i.e. Lowes or Home Depot, Dept. Stores, Target, etc.
Decent restaurants.
Houses below $250,000.
Reasonable taxes.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Norm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 35,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
I am retired and my wife will be retiring in the next few years at which time we plan on moving away from the NYC area. I would like to know if there is an area that meets our requirement or at least most of them.

Liveable humidity level (very important for health reasons).
Mild winters.
Near a city with a college (for cultural events).
Good medical facilities nearby.
Not too conservative.
Religious diversity. We are non practicing Jews but obviously would not want to live where Jews are discriminated against.
Within easy driving distance of an airport.
Good shopping i.e. Lowes or Home Depot, Dept. Stores, Target, etc.
Decent restaurants.
Houses below $250,000.
Reasonable taxes.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Norm
Norm,

My husband and I are also planning to retire. But we have decided to be near our kids in Iowa. We are now living in a senior community of San Diego. We have lived in the San Diego County for the last 30 years or more.

For a while we were thinking of retiring in Bridgeport, West Va since my husband is from there. But this year we decided to be with the kids so we are moving again. Bridgeport seems to be what you are looking for. Bridgeport is close to Morgantown and Clarksburg. There is diversity there.

I have one question though, are Jews still being discriminated against - racial and religious discrimination even now?

Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,069 times
Yes alot of people are still discriminated, I live in Gresham Oregon, I was referred to by this comment, There is another one, shortly after I moved here. I find the smaller the town, the worse it is, and some parts of the country are worse than others. It is wise to want to live where there is some level of a jewish community, I don't blame you one bit. Florida is probably out for you. Have you thought of Arizona, Tucson for example. The University of Arizona, liberal atmosphere, I do believe there is a jewish community there, I don't believe it would be a large one, but there is one there. Plenty of shopping, and very good medical facilities. Definitely a warm climate, other than the hot summers the rest of the year is very comfortable and sunny blue skies, Mountains right outside of town, so you can get some relief from the summer heat. When I said Fla was probably out for you, I mean it has become cost prohibitive in most respects as well as very humid

Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 AM

Sunny,

I looked at the stats for Bridgeport and it is too humid and gets too much snow.

OREGONRAIN,

Tucson is much too hot for us.

Norm

Old 05-14-2007, 07:57 AM

80 posts, read 435,837 times
Norm-

I have had a similar request from Jewish clients recently. The one thing that I'm getting stuck on with yours is the "houses below $250,000". There are many places where you can get houses for less than $250,000- it comes down to a matter of what you're getting in that price range.

Having said that, here are a few places for your consideration:
  • Chapel Hill, NC
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA
In each of these places, there are sizable Jewish populations. I know that in the case of Charlotte there is a particularly active Jewish Community Center. Top medical facilities are in these areas. Each has universities and/or colleges as well. Shopping and dining options are plentiful.

Let me know if I can be of additional assistance to you.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 AM

Jay,

Those place are too humid for us.

Please understand that we aren't religious we just want to know that there is a Jewish commnity in the area.

Norm

Old 05-14-2007, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 9,904 times
Default Wilmington,NC IS NICE!

Norm,
I have a condo just South of Wilmington, NC in Calabash, NC. 45 MINUTES South of Wilmington, NC and 30 minutes north of Myrtle Beach, SC. Beautiful area and there are a lot of New Yorkers who retire there. Average age is 54. 100+ golf courses, many beaches, and historical ports to visit. I can't say enough. If you are interested I can hook you up with a local realtor who can send you information about the area.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:25 AM

Gerry,

Thanks for the offer. I used to work for a company that had it's headquarters in Wilmington and I love the are but because of the humidity and hurricanes it isn't where I'd want to live.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,202,022 times
Exclamation To Avoid Humidity

Norm,

This link might help you regarding Humidity. It looks like you need to focus more west then east to avoid the humidity. Good Luck!

http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~ziehr/virt...ic/guided.html

Old 05-14-2007, 12:25 PM

Roma,

Thanks for the link. I agree with you about concentrating on the west and for now NM and southern OR head my list.

Norm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or