U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 AM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
People approaching or already past retirement age are the most active and experimental of all daters, according to a study for The Sunday Telegraph.

More over 55s have found a partner on the internet, joined a matchmaking club and attended a special singles event than any other age group, research for Stella magazine has found.

Over 55s are most active daters, study finds - Telegraph
These are Brits. I wonder if a study in the U.S. would show similar results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 04:28 PM

8,614 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
These are Brits. I wonder if a study in the U.S. would show similar results.
I would think that people are people no matter what country they are in. As for me...no thanks. I have no desire to date and certainly no desire to ever marry again. BTDT and I like the status quo. Most of the women I know feel the same way but the men I know would like to be in a relationship again.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:21 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
^^^^

What the Brat said

Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I would think that people are people no matter what country they are in. As for me...no thanks. I have no desire to date and certainly no desire to ever marry again. BTDT and I like the status quo. Most of the women I know feel the same way but the men I know would like to be in a relationship again.
Some, it depends.

My 82 year old mother-in-law lost her husband of 58 years a few years ago. After a couple of years of adjustment, she has now hooked up with an 84 year old fellow who recently lost his wife of 60 years.

You never know.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Some, it depends.

My 82 year old mother-in-law lost her husband of 58 years a few years ago. After a couple of years of adjustment, she has now hooked up with an 84 year old fellow who recently lost his wife of 60 years.

You never know.
My dad passed away a little over 5 years ago now. My mom would NEVER consider another relationship. She is now 83 and likes her 'status quo' too.

Before my dad died I remember a convo they had about just this topic. My dad said he "wouldn't mind" if Mom remarried but the very idea of some other man's "hands on her" drove him nuts. She just laughed and said that after over 50 years of marriage what made him think she'd want to do it again!!?? They had a great marriage and she still sees him as 'the best' so no other man would ever measure up anyway. And she spent so many years being Dad's caretaker she has NO desire "to do that" for another man again. Or ever be a widow again either.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:39 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My dad passed away a little over 5 years ago now. My mom would NEVER consider another relationship. She is now 83 and likes her 'status quo' too.

Before my dad died I remember a convo they had about just this topic. My dad said he "wouldn't mind" if Mom remarried but the very idea of some other man's "hands on her" drove him nuts. She just laughed and said that after over 50 years of marriage what made him think she'd want to do it again!!?? They had a great marriage and she still sees him as 'the best' so no other man would ever measure up anyway. And she spent so many years being Dad's caretaker she has NO desire "to do that" for another man again. Or ever be a widow again either.
Certainly understandable, I'm sure a lot of folks feel that way.

For others it is companionship and friendship. Some folks just "need" someone else to play off of, they just have that type of personality. It doesn't mean that the relationship is similar to that they had with their spouse, it just "is what it is" at that stage in life.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Certainly understandable, I'm sure a lot of folks feel that way.

For others it is companionship and friendship. Some folks just "need" someone else to play off of, they just have that type of personality. It doesn't mean that the relationship is similar to that they had with their spouse, it just "is what it is" at that stage in life.
I guess my mom doesn't feel a need for companionship. She has her church, her friends from church, her kids, grkids, etc. etc. and it's enough for her. Same with me. And she really really enjoys living alone and doing what she wants because she has never, in her life, been able to do that.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,902,275 times
My friend who lives in Hot Springs Village, AR says lots of people there are dating... and also moving in together after not that many dates (which is quite the scandal for some people in their generation, especially in a small town in the middle of Arkansas.)

What you don't see much in HSV is people getting married, even though plenty are living together (so much for the Hollywood movies that always seem to have a wedding). The reasons are mostly financial, and also worries that the kids will object to a marriage.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,851,419 times
Who are these gaggle of seniors who are dating up a frenzy?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Who are these gaggle of seniors who are dating up a frenzy?
Not necessatrily a frenzy but not at all uncommon. We see it here where we live - an area in which there are many retirees/seniors. Actually, it's kinda cute. I also see it as very healthy. Not sure it would be my choice if I was alone again but I certainly don't begrudge others their joy in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement