U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:34 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times

Advertisements

Failure to adapt is what separates a savvy fun grandma/grandpa from a needy old fogey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 04:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Failure to adapt is what separates a savvy fun grandma/grandpa from a needy old fogey.
Among many who prefer not to text, I don't fit your profile of needy, lol. Or a fogey...yet. I sometimes talk with the grandkids by phone before their bedtime and wouldn't trade that for all the texting in the world. By the time they're 7 or 8 I'll get with the program. As for the adult kids, if they want to talk with me they can phone. And they do.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I disagree, texting is a godsend. No more being interrupted at inconvenient times and messages can be sent at anytime to be read whenever. It's communicating without all the niceties, I will agree, but sometimes a quick yes, no, time, place or is needed. I think some people use a phone to hold other people hostage while the niceties are being observed. Give me Skype for that personal touch and texting for the get it done communications.

Robots are tools to be used and of course will be part of culture. One can embrace it or ignore it, we still have free will.
Yeah it's a godsend for functional communications, to be sure, and has its place. I would text a client to message something quickly, or email if there's a document to be attached and reviewed. Texting is generally not a deeply personal intercommunication, unless there is some care taken in the writing and choice of words. Everyone has their methods, and texting is better than nothing.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:24 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I don't like talking on the phone. Never did, and never will. My mother drove me nuts by calling every afternoon and yaking for an hour. I just sat there and listened. I am sure that I am not the only one that feels this way.

We have one son that's out of town. We play computer games on the Internet and type in idle chit chat while we play. Just little things that we would never bother to call about.

My husband is 82 and I will soon be 80. We use the Internet for ALL our contact with friends. You could at least try to learn.
Good for you! And good advice!!!!!

Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 2,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
It seems to me that those who are complaining the loudest about lack of communication with their kids and grandkids are the ones who refuse to communicate the way the kids and grandkids want to. Talking on the phone is okay once in a great while, but lets face it, anything longer than about 30 seconds on the phone gets boring and a waste of time. Texting is great, its there for you when you are able to see it, you can answer when you have time, as was said you can send pictures, which is super great!

You can either get with the current communication modes, which are great fun if you let them be, or you can be grumpy and crabby and make yourself the type person no one wants to communicate with.

I have texted and phoned and face booked way too many times without response. I am not a friend, I am a parent and grandparent and think I have earned some little crumb of respect over the years. What it tells me when I try to communicate is that I want them in my life. I guess if they want us in their lives, they would try once in a while as well.
I am far from a grumpy crabby person...just hurt at the lack of respect.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:30 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
I no longer feel I need to bend over backwards to accommodate folks who won't move into the 21st Century.

I hate calling and I hate being interrupted with phone calls. For one thing, most folks have cell phones and the sound quality is horrible.

I find it annoying.

Very rarely would I prefer a phone call over a text message. And I am fine with seeing your photos and hearing about your life on FB.

People who expect me to sit and listen to them ramble on in a phone conversation simply don't hear from me these days. When I do feel forced to call, I make sure the phone is nearly dead or I have an excuse to cut it off after 15 minutes.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:42 PM

25,757 posts, read 13,399,507 times
I've made it pretty plain to my sibs (5), sons (2) and most friends that I don't like the phone. I've had a cell phone for 6 years and haven't called anyone. Don't know how.* I use it for texting with my sons and a couple of friends. I'll probably eventually get my brothers' and sisters' numbers added too. But my preference overall for staying in contact with all and sundry is email.

*I'll have to learn this year because I'm living alone now, in the boonies, and have to learn to call emergency #s and whatnot if I whack my leg with an axe.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:09 PM

25,757 posts, read 13,399,507 times
I realize I come off as something of a misanthrope from the post above.

I must add that I enjoy seeing family and friends in the flesh and do so often.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:47 PM

6,652 posts, read 18,667,875 times
A re opened thread that has still not changed over the years be it Grand Parents or in my case a Great Grand Parent.

While in business one son drove by one mile from me twice a day and could easily stopped by for a few mins to have a chat or a nice drink. I would stop working if/when he came by as I enjoyed the visit.

He lived in the next town about 5 miles away and he and his wife NEVER once asked me to come by for a weekend afternoon snack or for dinner so I retired and moved 200 miles away.....close by or far away made NO difference for them.

Other son was 60 miles away and never visited or phoned me.

Both are Grand parents and have the kids still around them most of the time.

None of us are perfect and do make our share of mistakes but the one thing I noticed in reading these posts is the feeling re "lack of respect" from the adult kids to the Seniors.

A simple "how are you doing dad, how's your health, any problems.....know your in your 80's and have to be careful etc".

A few sounded like they were complaining......in essence they were from what I read.

As for me I'm NOT complaining as I made my bed and that is the way I sleep in it.

Had one good size heart attack in April and 3 small ones close afterwards and never called anyone.

As I just turned 84 this month do know my clock is winding down.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:41 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,534,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlaker View Post
They want me to use facebook or send them text messages on my phone. I don't know how to text and would like to hear their voices.
My son wants me to have a facebook page so we can chat that way. I can see all the family pictures. I may do one which is blank but otherwise I don't like facebook. He workes odd hours so said the best time to call in three in the afternoon, and I keep forgetting.

He and his wife are busy making their life. They both have new jobs, are trying for a grandchild (which I would rather they wait on) and work with the young kids in a scout troop. I'm glad they have their own life and are doing well. Honestly, I'm not sure what to say.

I think communications with grown kids is hampered a bit when your not in the same place since your still seeing this kid you raised and all the snapshots of their childhood. They remember parents as they were back then, not now. Your both working against old images and memories.

But I am proud of my son and that he took control of his adult life and has gone on to keep making it better over sitting and complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or