Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

"To heck with leaving my kids an inheritance. I never hear from them, except when they need money. I'm going to enjoy my money now and if there's anything left over after my wife (husband) and I kick the bucket, well that their good fortune, but I'm certainly not going to sacrifice our lifestyle for them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 03:31 PM

324 posts, read 573,378 times
I don't think there's something wrong with spending your money the way you want to. Children have an equal opportunity to make their money for living. Parents should be responsible for children until kids get out of school and start working. Inheritance? If it is there, fine. If not, then it must be OK, too.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
I don't see hearing from them as the issue. It is your money, go and enjoy yourself.

My point of view is that my parents don't owe me a dime when they go, and likewise my kids should have no expectations from me.

Anything is just a "bonus".

Old 11-19-2009, 04:02 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
I agree, I WANT my parents to enjoy their golden years, it wouldn't bother me if I didn't get an inheritance, I don't feel entitled to one. Enjoy yourself, your kids should feel as if they deserve an inheritance. Have fun!

Old 11-19-2009, 04:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I agree, I WANT my parents to enjoy their golden years, it wouldn't bother me if I didn't get an inheritance, I don't feel entitled to one. Enjoy yourself, your kids should feel as if they deserve an inheritance. Have fun!
I agree. Kids that have a sense of entitlement to their parents wealth need a wake up call to go to work to make their own fortune!

Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
One of my sisters felt not only was she entitled but her kids were too. My parents told her that whatever is left over is for their kids and she could take care of hers. She has plenty of money, by the way. But my folks didn't have a lot and what they did have was used to pay form my mom's assisted home care.

I don't feel parents have to leave their kids anything unless they choose to.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I recall getting quite angry at a newspaper article that urged children to monitor their parents' spending habits as the parents get older.

Actually, that part didn't get me angry til they added---" After all, it is your inheritance they are spending "

There is no---" your inheritance "-- until the will is read and you are mentioned !

Old 11-19-2009, 07:00 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
My observations have been that (as a rule) the more successful, and therefore richer, the children are the less expectation they have of receiving something from their parents. Many parents, on the other hand, feel a sense of obligation to deprive themselves in order to leave some sort of security behind for their children. It's too bad because when the children have blown through that they often have no incentive, worse, no ability to fend for themselves after their parents have permanently "retired" to the happy gardening grounds in the sky. Often children lay a guilt trip on their parents and the parents, sadly, allow themselves to be emotionally blackmailed this way, like it's their fault their kids turned out badly. My wife has two sisters. One turned out responsible. The other blew through her late father's estate (which was considerable) and her mother did nothing to stop it, paying her bills for a lavish lifestyle in London when she was at university there (for eight years). Now she has no job (recently laid off from a 4-year PT stint), is skilled somewhat with IT, but has no real hope of ever landing anything again due to her just turning middle age, and is content to live off her other two sisters (who reluctantly allow it). It's sad when parents spoil their children to the point of absolute dependence. When things turn really ugly in the economy in the next few years , many of these children will wail that their parents decided to spend what they had on themselves.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
I have never understood this. In my family, there has been no inheritance from one generation to the next. Never. And while none of us are ever going give Bill Gates or Warren Buffett a run for their money, we aren't destitute either. I never expected to inherit anything from my parents. That was their money, and they worked hard all of their lives for what they had. They took care of me and my siblings until we became adults, and after that we were on our own. And that's how it should be.

Oh sure, I guess it would have been nice to have some ancestor like Joe Kennedy who made a bundle on liquor, B-grade Hollywood movies, oil and gas, insider trading and real estate who passed that along to the next generation. But my ancesters were either not that smart or not that ruthless. And that's fine with me.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:50 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
im spending 90% of all my money on sporting events , beer and wild women. the rest ill probley just spend foolishly......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement