U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2009, 12:52 AM

784 posts, read 1,761,154 times

Advertisements

My parents are thinking of moving into one in the future. Quick question - anyone knows what happens to the house after the owners pass away? What if the kids aren't over 55? (Currently I'm 23). Are they forced to sell it back to the community because they can't live in it? Do they have to pay taxes on it?

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 11-22-2009 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:18 AM

23,807 posts, read 19,628,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
My parents are thinking of moving into one in the future. Quick question - anyone knows what happens to the house after the owners pass away? What if the kids aren't over 55? (Currently I'm 23). Are they forced to sell it back to the community because they can't live in it? Do they have to pay taxes on it?
A number of existing threads on the topic and the Delaware and Florida forums have a number of threads. What you are asking is a good question and one of the down sides of 55 plus communities. I have had a number of people whom I have asked this question to, say thats my kids problem I won't be around. If they leave it to you in the will and you want the proceeds it will be your problem to solve.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,263,456 times
Really no different than any other situation.

I'll bet in most cases, if a house is left to --the kids-- it ends up getting sold anyways with the money divided.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:18 AM

2,901 posts, read 6,610,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Really no different than any other situation.

I'll bet in most cases, if a house is left to --the kids-- it ends up getting sold anyways with the money divided.
Agreed. The law states that 20% of the owners in a 55+ community can be less then 55 yrs old. In fact, they only have to be over 19 years old. We have noticed the trend of younger people buying homes in our 55+ community. The catch is that you cannot have kids under 19 living there for more then one month.

This means more empty nesters can and are buying these homes....even though they are not retired yet and are working full time. I am one of them. I was never even asked my age when I bought, and I was in my 40's.

The reality is that if you are left one of these homes, the chances are that you would probably not want to move there because you are already all set up where you are. But the facts are that if you DID want to move there, you probably could, as long as you do not have kids living in your home younger then 19.

Elderly folks who own these homes pass away everyday after enjoying their home for many years. The relatives inherit the home and usually sell it as stated.

It is no big deal or "problem" at all.........a non-issue.

Frank

Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,140,145 times
ensure that you read the HOA of the particular park they are thinking~ some assn's will allow younger to own and use~ some will not. Some places have av good turnover and are great for resale~ some have all the people move in when park is new and no turnover for years~ followed by wholesale turnover or no turnover. I currently own in 2 parks~ winter residence is great and turning over steadily~ summer residence hadn't turned~ now have had many deaths is park since I bought 9 months ago ~ and am afraid of consequences....hopefully it'll turn as I'm probably youngest in the park!

Hope it turns as I love the park~

ps. 55+ areas for seniors are GREAT

Last edited by deckdoc; 11-23-2009 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-14-2010, 06:06 AM

502 posts, read 810,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Agreed. The law states that 20% of the owners in a 55+ community can be less then 55 yrs old. In fact, they only have to be over 19 years old. We have noticed the trend of younger people buying homes in our 55+ community. The catch is that you cannot have kids under 19 living there for more then one month.

This means more empty nesters can and are buying these homes....even though they are not retired yet and are working full time. I am one of them. I was never even asked my age when I bought, and I was in my 40's.

Frank
Interesting post .... my husband and I are middle aged but not 55, have no kids and often wondered if a 55+ community was even a possibility. Searching for peace and quiet. We want to relocate back to New England but no real estate agents have ever even suggested this option, so I'm guessing this law you mention is only in Florida? There are a lot of nice developments in New England with inventory just sitting there, empty. Maybe it's worth asking about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement