U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:45 AM

71,798 posts, read 71,896,917 times

Advertisements

thts what its all about..... all i know came from others... i learn all this crap on my own.... since i rarely buy individual issues anymore i never looked at those trailing numbers before....

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-01-2009 at 01:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:38 PM

2,850 posts, read 3,941,769 times
In addition to being consistent dividend-payers, and growers of their dividend, the following companies have significant overseas exposure, which is where the growth will come. The percentage following each name shows the company's overseas revenue.
  • Procter and Gamble (PG) (35%)
  • Johnson and Johnson (JNJ) (60%)
  • Qualcomm Inc. (QCOM) (60%)
  • Intel Corporation (INTC) (50%)
  • International Business Machines (IBM) (45%)
  • Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) (33%)
  • The Coca Cola Company (KO) (60%)
  • Pepsico Inc. (PEP) (50%)
  • Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) (60%)
There are more companies like this; this is just a short list.

Dividend Growth in Emerging Economies -- Seeking Alpha

Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 PM

86 posts, read 153,129 times
If you're in a hurry to get your K-1, you can go to the company website in the investors section and type in your SS# and get your K-1 online.

I have a few shares of KMP and have owned a couple of other MLP's and have always got my K-1 online

Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM

7,317 posts, read 15,371,647 times
QQQX, NLY, LINE are a couple I've used, along with longish positions in JCI and SI. Mostly, though, I hold individual stocks for the share value increase and not the dividend.

I don't do blind buy and hold - I'll drop a stock if it's going through a doldrums period, no matter what I think the long term potential is. I can always sit in cash for a bit and buy it back later. Investment firms love to tell you that holding long term is your best bet - only if you happen to have picked the RIGHT years to hold over. When you're holding a high dividend yield stock, though, you've also got to factor in the declaration date, the ex-dividend date, the record date and the payment date if you move in and out of the stock.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:57 AM

moving in you have to be concerned about buying a tax liability if you buy just before the dividend, but moving out it dosnt matter... it works out the same.. you pay tax on the dividend but you sell at the ex dividend reduction price and its a wash..

Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 AM

as we all know this last decade has been the worst for stocks since 1926...

almost any asset class you can pick beat equities... gold, bonds, cash etc..

we are on track to close out this decade down about 1/2% for equities...

dividends typically account for 1/3 the gains of the market...

since 1926 the average for dividends for the s&p 500 was about 4%... dividends this past decade are down to 1.8% average and thats for the entire decade... with 2 back to back recessions in one decade dividends took a one,two punch. since dividends paid out an average of 1.8% and stocks total returns including dividends is 1/2% most stocks appreciation is still negative ... thats why total return is so important not just a dividend..

that means going forward in order to achieve that average 9-10% return equities have been counted on for so long there will have to be some pretty big price appreciation needed to make up for the dividend drops.

for those that planned around a growth rate historically of 9-10% then 7% may be the new 10%..

even if equities gained that 10% a year for the next decade it would still give the last 30 years a under 5% return....

well that sucks!

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-21-2009 at 02:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or