U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,908,153 times

Advertisements

Mathjak107 mentioning riding in the car made me remember that my favorite spot was the ledge behind the back seat. When the sun was shining it was so warm up there! I wasn't necessarily there by choice, there wasn't enough room for us all in the car so I got put there because I was the youngest and I fit.

Lucky me!

I am thankful that Dad never ran into anything on the highway. Yikes!!

I am amazed at the number of things Mathjak107 mentioned in his post that were things that we did.

I would not want to be a child growing up today. They miss so much:

Balsa wood airplanes for a nickel. Ten cents got one that had a rubber band engine. If they even make these now I'd hate to imagine what they cost. Of course a nickel was a lot of money then.

Making kites out of the Sunday paper.

If you were lucky enough to live on a large lot you got to make entire cities in the dirt. We used irons to make roads and when we were done we smoothed it all over so we could make a new city the next day.

We dug big holes, covered them with boards, dug smaller holes a few feet away and then connected them and had underground clubhouses! These were deep enough that my teen-aged brother could stand upright in them.

We spent an amazing amount of time playing in two creeks near us. One was a block away "down the hill".

We went sledding in cemeteries and at the state capitol grounds. BIG hills! Well, they were then. Not so big now. IYKWIM

We rode the curb liner (rubber tires, but ran off overhead wires) downtown and spent the day, by ourselves. This was before I was 12, because we moved then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,734,404 times
Default Great Days & Great Times !!! ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
What are the top ten things you love about being a baby boomer??

These, in no particular order, are mine:

--I inhaled
--I danced to disco
--I danced to folk music
--I danced to the Grateful Dead
--I owned a VW Camper
--I wore my hair down to my waist--and put flowers in it
--I moved to San Francisco--but always held a job
--I know how to make a nutloaf and eat a macrobiotic diet
--I remember JFK, Martin Luther King, Bobby Kennedy, Jimmi Hendrix, John Lennon and Jim Morrison..and let's not forget Janis Joplin and John Belushi and Glida Radner
--I remember when everyone shared and we had so much hope for the future
Good Evening,

Outstanding Subject Matter !

We are indeed most proud to be the children of the "Greatest Generation" of American's for all times.

Cograts to LittleDolphin for a teriffic idea for a Thread.

Ten Things :

> Loved to hear Cream, The Rascals, The Doors and Jimi Hendricks.
> Rode different types Motorbikes.
> Spent more time enjoying nature and the outdoors.
> Enjoyed attending small country schools.
> Loved the B/W T.V. Programs including Bonanza, Gunsmoke and
great cartoon shows.
> Lived around great neighbors whom would do anything for you.
> Everyone in my experience loved their country and respected the
President.
> Loved the clothing styles.
> Everything was not so expensive to buy.
> Loved the stereos and turntable record players.

These were absolutely the best of times which were also shared by the best families whom ever lived on the face of the earth !

We do miss these times ... do we not ???

Thanks / Lamar

Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM

2,849 posts, read 3,937,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Beatlemania (Ed Sullivan Show, anyone?)
Motown
Led Zepplin!
Watching a human walk on the moon - live.
Anti-war sit-in's
Sex, drugs, and rock n' roll
And sex couldn't kill you.
The original Star Trek
The Watts riots
Losing friends in Viet Nam.

This is a wonderful thread.
Loved Motown, still do.
Yes, I remember watching the original Star Trek, at university, with the other geeks on lonely Saturday nights.
And who could forget Hogan's Heroes? That had to be watched before the school canteen opened.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,843,776 times
All of you youngsters who came after us are just jealous 'cuz we selfishly had a great time in a great world and used up all the resources.

Oh, wait, that's another thread on here BASHING the Boomers.

Sorry...

Old 12-05-2009, 05:22 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,492,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Loved Motown, still do.
Yes, I remember watching the original Star Trek, at university, with the other geeks on lonely Saturday nights.
And who could forget Hogan's Heroes? That had to be watched before the school canteen opened.
Not to leave out The Many Loves of Doby Gillis, Gilligan's Island, McHales Navy, Gidget and The Flying Nun, just to name a few more.

Does anyone else remember Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Gene Autry, Lash Larue, The Cisco Kid, Batt Masterson, Wild Bill Hichcock, The Big Country, How the West Was Won, the early Bonanza, all in black-and-white. --

And what of the variety shows -- Carol Burnett, Bob Hope, Art Linkletter, Dinah Shore, Ed Sullivan, Jack Benny, Burns and Allen, Jackie Gleason, Lawrence Welk and many others?

I could go on and on but I'll spare you!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:21 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,866,638 times
Oh yes, I remember all those old cowboy shows and knew the names of all the horses, too as I was a horse-crazy little girl.

How about the Steve Allen Show--I loved that one--he had the best crazy laugh ever...and he was so creative. And Ernie Kovacs...completely nuts some of those skits, remember the Jazz Quintet played by gorilllas--the Kokomo Five?

Early TV, in retrospect, seemed so much better than today--live theater presentations, for example, and some free-wheeling skits where some of the production values might have been lacking, and some things sometimes went wrong (backdrops falling or doors not opening) but the creativity and fun were so huge...

I miss what TV used to be and had the promise of becoming before it became slick and formulamatic...seems its promise went astray into mindless sitcoms and Dancing on Survivor Island with Judge Judy after her Extreme Makeover or whatever passes for entertainment these days.

Or am I just being a crusty old soul living in the past?

Ah well, the past was pretty much fun...and I'm lucky to be a crusty old soul--who's still having good times. Come on Baby Let the Good Times Roll...

Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
It was the Nairobi Trio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uw03hS_EMY

Ernie Kovacs was the best!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,595 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not to leave out The Many Loves of Doby Gillis, Gilligan's Island, McHales Navy, Gidget and The Flying Nun, just to name a few more.

Does anyone else remember Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, ...Sky King and Lassie!

Lawrence Welk and many others? Hey wait a minute, I have a hard time remembering to watch him every Sat Night Right NOW. Brings back good memories + can't beat that talent !! (what a fun job that must have been!)
.. I'll spare you!
Sorry, I couldn't spare you this one
I think I will take up the accordion and move to North Dakota with a stack of 8-track tapes (I still have plenty) I always wanted to dance like Bobby and Barbara (or Cissy),. and play 'honky-tonk' like Jo Ann Castle. My favorites at the moment are The Aldridge Sisters and Otwell Twins, great harmony MaryLou interviewed Kathie Sullivan recently and it was great to hear as she headed to the Aragon Ballroom at Venice Beach, as a very young thing ! Yikes what a bold and beautiful career move.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-06-2009 at 12:09 AM..

Old 12-06-2009, 04:11 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,937,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sorry, I couldn't spare you this one
I think I will take up the accordion and move to North Dakota with a stack of 8-track tapes (I still have plenty) I always wanted to dance like Bobby and Barbara (or Cissy),.
Hahahaha....now you're hitting close to home!!

When growing up in the 60's, my mother watched only one show weekly, on Saturday night, and we had either had to watch it with her (quiet now!), or go do something else. It was the Lawrence Welk Show, with dancing stars Guy and Ralna. My mother is still alive, pushing into her 80s, and she still watches the LWS even as American culture pushes onwards into the cess pool.

Bring out the accordians, folks; let's hear the Fat Lady Polka.....

"I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me....."
(A real song; I kid you not.)

Old 12-06-2009, 04:16 AM

71,626 posts, read 71,777,271 times
i always wanted to work the bubble machine on the lawrence welk show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement