U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:48 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,058,305 times

Advertisements

AHHHH, the British Invasion of 1964 and beyond. Wasn't that fabulous????

All the wonderful music groups that the local high school boys put together. Ironically, many were so good that they sounded like the originals and there were many dances.

Drive-in movies were wonderful, too. Fortunately, the one in our town re-opened several years ago and markets itself as nostalgic. They should've never gone out of style to begin with.

Last edited by Jammie; 12-06-2009 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: changed year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:13 AM

767 posts, read 1,827,606 times
Some of the things I did in the 70s (in no particular order):

Rocked out to bands like Kiss, the Tubes, Hendrix, Bowie, and Zeppelin
Smoked pot
Moved to San Francisco
Drank like there was no tomorrow
Dated quite a few women
Took lots of road trips with friends
Went to college (and actually graduated)
Worked my tail off to support all of my vices

Got married in '80 and it all ended abruptly!

(By the way, if anyone knows who I am, please don't tell my kids about all of this!)

Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,049,244 times
This reminds me of how different TV was then compared to now. Censorship meant that double entendres were the vehicle of choice. Comedians cracked themselves up with their clever ways of being dirty while meeting the censor's criteria. I remember many times asking my mother what was so funny and her answer was invariably you'll understand when you are older. It was true. Today's kids never see anything with a double meaning and get the full bore visual effects of everything instead of having things revealed gradually as they grow old enough to understand. It meant that I could sit with my parents watching absolutely filthy jokes they understood and I was uncomprehending of the meaning. What today allows that?

I've been listening to old Gunsmoke radio shows and they are still good. But also, the commercials were so blatantly crass and commercial with blatant lies. But then it had a prostitute as a main character and best friend of the hero while never explicitly saying so. Nuances that are laid bare in today's treatments.

Another thing that we had that most of our generation stopped with their own children was lots of freedom to be kids and play on our own. I don't know how many times my mother told us it's a nice day - go outside and play. We spent hours together or on our own exploring our worlds and learning about them. We played with crawdads and devised innumerable ways of entertaining ourselves. We explored creeks and woods, we also made up cities in the dirt. The current idea of always having children under control and supervision with no freedom to interact on their own must change how they view the world as they grow and stifle curiosity.

But then again, this was the world we grew up in made by our depression era parents and we changed it for our own children, failing to understand some of the great gifts such freedom along with limits and responsibility gave to us.

Last edited by Tesaje; 12-06-2009 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,859,230 times
Oh no!! Say it's not so!! You mean Miss Kitty was a prostitute?? But...but...she had a heart of gold...oh, now I get it.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Pinky Lee
Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca
Jimmy Durante
Milton Berle
Beat the Clock
George Gobel (His show alternated with Jack Benny)
Arthur Godfrey
Crusader Rabbit
Captain Kangaroo

"Takes a licking and keeps on ticking."
"See the USA in your Chevrolet."

Which brings us to John Cameron Swayze and Dinah Shore.

Weather forecasting by looking out the window...

I'm sure I'd remember more if I kept thinking...

Such as the plastic sheets you stuck to a black-and-white TV that had blue across the top and green across the bottom. You used crayolas to color over things on childrens shows.

Edit: Art Linkletter

Old 12-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Fine memories, Tek_Freek...George Goebel, what was his nickname? Lonesome George? He was so friendly and funny, always liked him a lot. And Jack Benny, too..."Rochester!!" And the way he'd just stand there and raise an eyebrow to make you laugh...very subtle, his facial expressions. Milton Berle I found annoying, pretty much. And Jerry Lewis. Though, to me, Dean Martin was quite the cool hipster with the great crooning voice.

Some more old TV shows to ping your memory:

The Hit Parade
American Bandstand
Soul Train
Ozzie & Harriet (Ricky was hot!)
Father Knows Best
Leave It To Beaver
Laugh In
TWTWTW (That Was the Week That Was)
Zoo Parade
Mr. Wizard
Lassie
Rin Tin Tin
My Friend Flicka
Sky King
Sgt. Bilko
Mr. Ed
Queen for a Day

Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,342,402 times
For those growing up in the Seattle area:

J.P. Patches
Stan Boreson - King's Klubhouse

Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,568,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
This reminds me of how different TV was then compared to now. Censorship meant that double entendres were the vehicle of choice. Comedians cracked themselves up with their clever ways of being dirty while meeting the censor's criteria. I remember many times asking my mother what was so funny and her answer was invariably you'll understand when you are older. It was true. Today's kids never see anything with a double meaning and get the full bore visual effects of everything instead of having things revealed gradually as they grow old enough to understand. It meant that I could sit with my parents watching absolutely filthy jokes they understood and I was uncomprehending of the meaning. What today allows that?

I've been listening to old Gunsmoke radio shows and they are still good. But also, the commercials were so blatantly crass and commercial with blatant lies. But then it had a prostitute as a main character and best friend of the hero while never explicitly saying so. Nuances that are laid bare in today's treatments.

Another thing that we had that most of our generation stopped with their own children was lots of freedom to be kids and play on our own. I don't know how many times my mother told us it's a nice day - go outside and play. We spent hours together or on our own exploring our worlds and learning about them. We played with crawdads and devised innumerable ways of entertaining ourselves. We explored creeks and woods, we also made up cities in the dirt. The current idea of always having children under control and supervision with no freedom to interact on their own must change how they view the world as they grow and stifle curiosity.

But then again, this was the world we grew up in made by our depression era parents and we changed it for our own children, failing to understand some of the great gifts such freedom along with limits and responsibility gave to us.
Tesaje you summed it up pretty well. Sad thing is Miss Kitty is believed to have died of AIDS in real life (caught from her husband I believe). She died in 1989 and that was probably as good a date as any to mark the end of good times and civility.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:41 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,291,718 times
I would not change anything about my life as a Baby Boomer. I'm retired and I planned well but some of it is due to luck and most of it is due to a fine set of standards passed on to me by my parents.

Well, wait. There is one thing I would change.....I'd erase the Vietnam War. I lost many friends and one fiancé in Vietnam.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Yes, I sure agree about Viet Nam--and all our wars since...my brother's best friend, someone I had a huge crush on, died in Viet Nam at the age of 21. He's just now going to be awarded a Silver Star for his bravery. Such a sad loss, so many of our fine young men...

Strange, my earliest memory of TV was of watching the newscasts of the Korean War...and so it continues..does it never end? When will be go Beyond War?

Give Peace a chance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement