U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,269,361 times

Advertisements

God ;I had like ten jobs before I got out of high school. learned alot from each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,822 posts, read 40,266,699 times
As a 'farm-kid' I too had many jobs / skills before I entered the job market (which was like entering 'retirement @ age 15) I then had 3 jobs simultaneously age 15>25, then I 'retired' again by moving 1500 miles and having kids + buying a fruit farm.. Homeschooling kids + working full-time nights (with 30+% Overtime) kinda cut into the 'job' latitude'.

32 yrs at one company jobs ranged from cleaning toilets to being a Tool & Die Apprentice (after getting 2 free degrees), then eventually an international procurement person that qualified and trained companies as suppliers. That was really fun and rewarding. Loved living internationally on company's dime.

All said... my favorite job was my 800 mile newspaper and movie film route through WY, SD, NE and CO. Did this on weekend nights during 7 yrs of college (extended program ) Loved the challenge, driving all night through blinding snow. (don't think that would be as fun today + no / few Drive-in Theaters to enjoy the last few minutes of the show while sitting in the back row, with you know who.. My 'rumbling' diesel truck did not seem to disturb them much I wonder.... how many jobs we enjoyed were in our youth?, and how many still exist (not 800 mile newspaper and movie routes, get Netflicks!... if you can get High speed...)

Laura, I think there is a significant business opportunity in compiling this type of info and forming a company specializing in employing seniors / counseling employers in effective jobs. Many of us are w/o pension and would gladly work in the right job (As long as it was more fun than retirement) The community I'm researching this week has a high caliber of retirees, and several community leaders I've talked with are amazed the senior volunteers are so 'capable' They all say "you give them a job and leave them alone and they get amazing results, far above expectations, and offer more 'depth' to the projects". Hopefully not the '6ft-under' (pushing up daisies) kinda depth

Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 PM

34,777 posts, read 33,846,521 times
I had 8 jobs before I was 21 (I can't believe it, either), only 2 were with the same company but even those were in 2 different office locations:

tutoring elementary school kids in math and reading after high school
waitress/salesclerk in a 5 and dime after high school
fitting room attendant in a large department store after high school
clothes factory worker (summer job)
file clerk
investigation case reviewer
bank teller
quality tester - military parts

Then I had 34 years and another 8 positions in 6 locations (2 states and DC) with the same federal govenment agency. Job number 4, here, was my favorite because of the variety of projects, programs, responsibilities and control I had.

I never didn't work since I was 15 until the time I retired, including when I was working full time and going to college after work.

Monetarily speaking, the last job paid the best but it wasn't even close to being a favorite. However, it did allow me the pension dollars to enjoy my current favorite job - retirement. And, that ain't bad.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,994,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, It will be possible for a very small percentage of workers to stay with one company for their working life. That said, All of these people will have very, very specialized skills so working your way up as I did is as dead as the do do bird!
I disagree. I think the main reason that people don't stay with one copmpany their entire career these days is that they don't have to! Back in the days of traditional pensions, you basically were tied to the company you worked for with "golden handcuffs." If you left, you lost your pension (or would receive a greatly reduced one.) In fact, pensions were structured so that they really didn't amount to a great deal of money until after you worked 20-30 years with the company. Nowadays, people take their 401(k)s with them from job-to-job.

There is no incentive to stay with the same company.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:28 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,624,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How many jobs have you had since you first entered the workforce? When you look at all of the positions you've held in your working life, including after school jobs, was the job you had at the time you retired your best job? By "best" I don't mean money-wise, but the one you enjoyed the most.

I'd be curious whether people were happiest in a position that was not necessarily the one that paid the most and/or was the last job they had.
Lemmesee here. This takes me back over 45 years.

Dock hand and light construction
Car wash
Womens' shoes sales
Door-to-door salesman
Gas station
Cowboy
Armed security
Grocery (7 years total)
Military (12 years)
Law Enforcement (8 years)
Legislation and politics (17 years)

The last ultimately paid the best, was decidedly challenging, sometimes enfuriating, often stressful and but be a lot of fun.

The law enforcement and legislation were both for my former state so I worked for it a total of 25 years. I guess that qualifies as a career.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 AM

2,602 posts, read 1,237,383 times
Default My Jobs.

Quote:
How many jobs have you had since you first entered the workforce? When you look at all of the positions you've held in your working life, including after school jobs, was the job you had at the time you retired your best job? By "best" I don't mean money-wise, but the one you enjoyed the most.

I'd be curious whether people were happiest in a position that was not necessarily the one that paid the most and/or was the last job they had.
I'm 56 years old. The jobs I have worked in my lifetime include "seasonal' farmhand (Picking cucumbers...Ugh, did that make me realize that college was for me!), paper route, cafeteria worker, nanny, and newspaper office worker during my college years, school teacher (Bank teller during the summers as well as teaching summer school), and customer service representative for a legal service. Even with all its "challenges," I enjoyed my teaching jobs the most. However, I'm retired now, and I wouldn't go back into the classroom ever again!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:21 AM

14,367 posts, read 15,208,975 times
Pre-career:

Mowed lawns
Parked cars
Bus boy at high-end restaraunt
McDonald's
Odd jobs here and there for neighbors to make extra cash.

Career

Just over 37 years at my employer living in three states and having a wide variety of job types
(clerical, various blue collar jobs requiring differing skill sets, HQ management positions (suits and briefcase), technical management positions (casual dress - yippee and less HQ BS).

Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,520,778 times
grew up on a small poor farm , so working was a part of life from the day you could walk ( wages weren't however )

age 17, one week after graduation, started work at a UNION packing plant lugging beef quarters------17 years ( 2 years gone for the military draft)

age 37------fulltime dairy farming for 6 years til a drought forced me to sell the cows
age 43------worked 2 years as a fiberglass gunner at a boat company building cruisers

age 45------worked 10 years at a food startch processing plant ( UNION job) that operated 24/7

age 55--worked 4 years of 12 hour nights in the recieving dept of a big printing plant

age 59-----full time small dairy farmer as I " eased my way" into retirement.

age 62-----started drawing SS, sold the cows, and rented the farm to the boy

Probably the most satisfying job ( they all were good paying with excellent benefits) was the 2 years as a hull gunner.

We were actually building something, and it gave me great pride seeing those big, beautifull cabin cruisers entering the storage lot completely finished.

Howver, the years of dairy farming were the most rewarding ( and the most stressfull) because I got to make all the decisions.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:42 AM

34,777 posts, read 33,846,521 times
Do you know any American college kids in their 20s who have had as many jobs as you did before they hit their career years? Am I just imagining it or do most kids in high school and college these days not work after school?

I see them in restaurants, car washes, drug stores, supermarkets and fast food places where I live now (after school) but when I was in Maryland, those same jobs were done by immigrants and older adults and the high schoolers didn't work. I don't think they were forced out of jobs, either. I think mom and dad didn't want them to work.

I find it very odd to find 20 somethings with no or next to no work experience. Would you hire them in a career position if they came out of college with little or next to no work experience?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,822 posts, read 40,266,699 times
Quote:
Do you know any American college kids in their 20s who have had as many jobs as you did before they hit their career years? ...

I find it very odd to find 20 somethings with no or next to no work experience. Would you hire them in a career position if they came out of college with little or next to no work experience?
Evident in the current mindset of kids (and some parents) expecting parents to pay for college !! Wow, that is a significant 'entitlement', and change of values .

Yes, this is quite tough, especially when you go for an interview after you are age 50. Gen X and Y managers are generally not ez to work for (they offer very little respect and have even less common sense, I don't think they were writing the checks for utilities, insurance, car payments... like most of our generation did), nor do I consider them to have the leadership necessary to lead a company during difficult times. Part of this also comes from 'non-military' exposure. When parents wimped out, we (USA) might have been wise to require 'national-service' from all sometime before age 30. Didn't need to be military, but at least 'military like' I.E. responsibility + responding to authority.

JMHO, there are some very good Gen X'rs and Y's, but they are usually busy with responsibilities and not toting their own horn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or