U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:58 AM

13,406 posts, read 25,752,653 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine moved there from Oregon because she wanted the warmer weather and some Southern charm (and grown-up men who didn't have multiple earrings). She liked everything about Raleigh, weather, culture, people, costs... except the economic collapse was the same week as her move. She had a successful service business in Oregon and had done her homework to start up in Raleigh- but the business collapse just precluded it. Very reluctantly, she returned to Oregon before going through her considerable savings.
A good plan, and well considered, just not during the major collapse since 1930. She hopes to go back- maybe for retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 AM

823 posts, read 3,385,067 times
I am more then willing to trade off cold miserable winters for a few months of humidity. There is no perfect place.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 AM

30,019 posts, read 35,122,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Norm - I'm originally from New England and also worried about the summer heat prior to moving here. Yes, it hot and humid....but it was hot and humid in August in RI. Not too different, just lasts longer. Everything is air conditioned. I find people who want to do outdoor activities in the summer here, do them early morning or in the evening. Personally, I think bearing the summer weather is worth the long beautiful autumn and mild winter.
A transplant to Raleigh here. Understand the Sun in North Carolina is of high intelligence. It is very skilled in understanding angles and being able to manipulate its rays around, over and between anything and everything. There is no such thing as shade unless you are inside or directly under a tee. If you move the sun will find you during the summer. I sometimes think there are mirrors in the tree to help the sun find you. How ever it is all worth it and the early spring and extended fall make you forget it all.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 AM

3,815 posts, read 9,777,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A transplant to Raleigh here. Understand the Sun in North Carolina is of high intelligence. It is very skilled in understanding angles and being able to manipulate its rays around, over and between anything and everything. There is no such thing as shade unless you are inside or directly under a tee. If you move the sun will find you during the summer. I sometimes think there are mirrors in the tree to help the sun find you. How ever it is all worth it and the early spring and extended fall make you forget it all.
True! We're also always amazed at just how high up the sun appears here in spring and summer.....and the expansive sky appears so very blue, no clouds in sight...Ahh...it is beautiful here!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 AM

823 posts, read 3,385,067 times
After a lot of deliberation and discussions I have decided to go with Albuquerque (where my wife and I had once decided to retire to). The weather in ABQ is superior to that of Raleigh the locst of living (particularly housing) is more reasonable. Two of my wife's cousing just moved back there so I know people that live there and give me good advice about the place.

Thanks for all of the comments & advice.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 AM

3,815 posts, read 9,777,349 times
Good luck Norm. It will be good to have family nearby. Albuquerque is a beautiful place.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:31 PM

30,019 posts, read 35,122,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
After a lot of deliberation and discussions I have decided to go with Albuquerque (where my wife and I had once decided to retire to). The weather in ABQ is superior to that of Raleigh the locst of living (particularly housing) is more reasonable. Two of my wife's cousing just moved back there so I know people that live there and give me good advice about the place.

Thanks for all of the comments & advice.
Best of luck and glad we could be of help, Raleigh is a wonderful place and I am sure Albuquerque will be for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or