Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times

Advertisements

Hey, here's a newsflash for some people---none of us live backwards, we all get old, can't work, become infirm, all you can do is PLAN for it.

My elderly aunt & uncle are in their 90's, both is poor health, live apart from family, and just now are scratching their heads over what to do for retirement

Of course, they've been retired for many years, but they never considered that this day would come, they'd be dependent on others. Their son, my rich cousin with 7-figure income, said, well, perhaps he could investigate a nursing home nearby. Duh, he's just now started looking? Any place decent has a waiting list of several years. BTW, this "rich guy" owns several rental properties near him, I suggested he place his parents in one nearby and provide services, he said no way, I'm not being saddled with the old folks! Sad---don't depend on your children, plan ahead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 AM

296 posts, read 803,009 times
The only thing I would rely on my children for is to assist me in getting to Switzerland when the time comes that I cannot take care of myself.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
People often make their own decisions... my mother is 86 living by herself in the same home for over 50 years and refuses to even have a conversation about living elsewhere.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:00 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
People often make their own decisions... my mother is 86 living by herself in the same home for over 50 years and refuses to even have a conversation about living elsewhere.
Mine was the same way. My sister and I tried to get her into assisted living but she refused to even talk about it. When she finally died, it was quick and she was still living in her own home, which is the way she wanted it.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:50 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I've never married, no kids, no family near me so I'm always thinking ahead because I've only had myself to depend on for decision making.

My nephew will handle my will and sale of my house if need be but I would prefer to sell my house myself and get an apartment to make matters simpler. I'm 62 depending on my health, which is excellent, ideally I'd like to stay in my house as long as possible but one never knows about health.

I lived very close to my dad, he was in poor health, not eating, we tried to talk to him, it was very difficult. His balance was bad even with a walker or a cane, we knew if he fell, he'd be bed ridden. He ended up falling, going to a nursing home and passing away a few months later.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Old old

If you see your parent or parents on a regular basis, at what point did you see them as old-old vs. old?

Sometimes, if you see them often, you don't notice it but what are some signs to look for?

For people who only see their parents once a year, it's probably more noticeable.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:11 PM

327 posts, read 968,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
If you see your parent or parents on a regular basis, at what point did you see them as old-old vs. old?

Sometimes, if you see them often, you don't notice it but what are some signs to look for?

For people who only see their parents once a year, it's probably more noticeable.
Loss of interest in personal hygiene.
Inability to handle finances (investments, bill paying.)
Poor decision making regarding finances (getting conned out of money.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement