U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,322,804 times

Advertisements

Lawrence Kansas is a COLLEGE town full of noisey college kids. Not a good mix there! If you want to retire to Kansas choose a place that is quiet and has more people you own age - like Salina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 08:08 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Lawrence Kansas is a COLLEGE town full of noisey college kids. Not a good mix there! If you want to retire to Kansas choose a place that is quiet and has more people you own age - like Salina.
Salina?

My son lives there, he is a truck driver

Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I like "Denmark, KS", very near Salina ... quiet... but it is short on people, and definitely not a Walmart

Old 12-10-2007, 01:26 PM
TCK

167 posts, read 518,911 times
Default Medical care - Cuba

Lived in Miami for years. Worked for South Shore Hospital way before South Beach was popular. I worked with Cuban people that would ship over or have to pay for the medical supplies needed for their parents/grandparents surgeries. Mesh for hernia repairs, etc.

The tourist side of Cuba, the hotels I hear are magnificent. The other part, people live differently - poorly. People would do lottery for visas to go back to visit (always thought that was scary) and they would bring back pictures of their relatives and homes (open windows - no glass or screens, teeth problems, etc.) That is what I remember. Mind you that was 1980s and early 1990s.

I would never ever think of going there for a cheaper way of life. I have friends who did not have that much money for retirement and decided since they were both spanish to go live in Mexico. I went to Cancun three years ago and I would never, ever want to live there either no matther how much money I was saving.

If England ever becomes cheaper I would go!!!!!!

In one of my best places to retire subject books, one mentions Canada a lot and ranks about 3 cities very highly. A little too cold for me and in all honestly still too high cost of living for me. I would love free universal medical care that was of high quality or even above average quality....but I would not go to Canada to get it.

Another thing, if I probably stopped buying all these best places to retire, best places to live books, how to have a great second part of life BOOKS I would probably be able to retire much quicker and with substantial savings!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
TCK

Default My vote would definitely be

I vote for Durango, CO.

I love that place. My family loves that place. Even Oprah loves that place.
Unfortunately the housing is a bit too expensive for me. That includes buying and renting.

Even if you would never retire there....if you get a chance go for a few days.
Take the train (the best ever!!). I love walking down Main street and eating chinese. Going into shops and buying specialty soaps.

I know this might sound odd..but they have the neatest cemetary I have ever seen. Its like a free style cemetary. I was used to the strick rules in FL telling family members what was allowed and not. My family must have spent at least 2 hours walking around and reading and looking at the markers. Motorcyle markers, pictures of the people. mosaics, they buried an unknown stranger, etc. I don't visit grave yards but saw a road that went way up a mountain and decided to see what was up there and that is how I found it.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:27 PM
TCK

Talking Wonderful - thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by somwhathip View Post
If you are looking for "value" towns in the west, the list does get smaller. Real estate is pretty pricey. But relatively speaking, my research shows that if you must live in the west the relative bargains (but outstanding places) are in Eureka, California; Fort Collins and Colorado Springs in Colorado; Missoula, Montana; Las Cruces, New Mexico; Ogden, Utah; Bellingham, Walla Walla, and Port Townsend in Washington. Texas has a number of towns that aren't so expensive (many of them are so-called "certified retirement communities"). My site, topretirements.com, has reviews of these towns if you are interested.
Somwhathip - thanks for site mention. Went on there and wrote down all the towns with $, $$, and $$$ cost of livings. Much appreciated.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:49 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCK View Post
Lived in Miami for years. Worked for South Shore Hospital way before South Beach was popular. I worked with Cuban people that would ship over or have to pay for the medical supplies needed for their parents/grandparents surgeries. Mesh for hernia repairs, etc.

The tourist side of Cuba, the hotels I hear are magnificent. The other part, people live differently - poorly. People would do lottery for visas to go back to visit (always thought that was scary) and they would bring back pictures of their relatives and homes (open windows - no glass or screens, teeth problems, etc.) That is what I remember. Mind you that was 1980s and early 1990s.

I would never ever think of going there for a cheaper way of life. I have friends who did not have that much money for retirement and decided since they were both spanish to go live in Mexico. I went to Cancun three years ago and I would never, ever want to live there either no matther how much money I was saving.

If England ever becomes cheaper I would go!!!!!!

In one of my best places to retire subject books, one mentions Canada a lot and ranks about 3 cities very highly. A little too cold for me and in all honestly still too high cost of living for me. I would love free universal medical care that was of high quality or even above average quality....but I would not go to Canada to get it.

Another thing, if I probably stopped buying all these best places to retire, best places to live books, how to have a great second part of life BOOKS I would probably be able to retire much quicker and with substantial savings!!!!!!

Not that I am suggesting this for you, but I have read nice things about Costa Rica. Said the mountain area were safe and has a lot of expats. If you eat the food of the locals mostly, the cost of living is very low, and you can employ a good housekeeper who will also shop and cook for you. You would have to learn Spanish. Many of their doctors are trained in the West.

It might be a nice place to vacation.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,911,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I completely agree with you! Asheville often appears as one of the top retirement meccas, so we visited Asheville twice and could not for the life of us figure out why we would want to move to Asheville....same with Prescott and Winston/Salem...everyone has their own likes and dislikes and happiness criteria - so far we have found a couple of places we really love - Louisville, KY and Williamsburg, VA - neither of which appear very often on any lists.....figure out what you want and then start visiting places that seem to fit the bill....visiting in person is a must.
I'm always surprised Williamsburg doesn't make more of these lists. It strikes me as a great town for retirees. You're close to Richmond, yet apart from it. DC is two hours away, if you want to go up for a day trip. You can volunteer for the colonial village (which looks like that would be fun and a good way to meet people). There's good healthcare, and VA gets a high rating for being one of the best managed states. You're near several rivers and nice parks. It gets hot in the summer, but that's true in many other places too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or