U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 AM

10,342 posts, read 9,379,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Interesting, but I have no wish to live on the other side of the Rocky Mountains ever again.
Where are you living now? Is it the weather or something else that you don't like about the living east of the Rocky Mts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,016 times
Mr. Blands' list of towns rated for value is a good one. Here is another list (Aug 15, 2007) of the 10 most popular retirement towns, based on which towns were visited online the most times at Best active adult retirement communities - Topretirements.com
- Asheville, NC
-Paris, TN
- Old Saybrook, CT
- Oxford, OH
- Sarasota, FL
- Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Prescott, AZ
- Green Valley, AZ
- Athens, GA
- Winston-Salem, NC

Interestingly, the only overlap was for Winston-Salem.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:00 AM

5,395 posts, read 21,395,985 times
A list of locations by themselves is nothing more than someone else's opinion and priorities.

To find the right place for an individual or family it is important to have a list of requirements in priority order and a list of deal breakers. You will be surprised how quickly you can sort through a list of places once you have the list.

Once you have a short list of locations that meet your needs it is advisable to visit to evaluate in person. There may be things you really like or dislike that you did not consider on the priority list.

My wife and I went through this process over a year and found a location we never expected that suits us very well. I know others have done the same thing with good results.

Don't use someone else’s priorities or spend your time and money trying places before you do a reasonable study.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Where are you living now? Is it the weather or something else that you don't like about the living east of the Rocky Mts?
The west has a different feel - as a child I lived all over the US (although not so much the middle to northern sections) and as an adult I've lived in Washington, Oregon, California, Texas, New York, New Jersey and Florida and traveled extensively through the south.

I like the combinations of mountains, beach, desert and I like the variety of climates and the "open" feel. I'm not a huge fan of California because most of it is far too crowded and WAY overpriced (even the smaller mountain towns I grew up in, like Oroville and Susanville). I like the cities of Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, although I like to live in smaller places and just visit cities.

I love Montana, Wyoming, northern Idaho, but that is too much Real Winter for me.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 PM

153 posts, read 1,166,693 times
Quote:
The west has a different feel - as a child I lived all over the US (although not so much the middle to northern sections) and as an adult I've lived in Washington, Oregon, California, Texas, New York, New Jersey and Florida and traveled extensively through the south.

I like the combinations of mountains, beach, desert and I like the variety of climates and the "open" feel. I'm not a huge fan of California because most of it is far too crowded and WAY overpriced (even the smaller mountain towns I grew up in, like Oroville and Susanville). I like the cities of Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, although I like to live in smaller places and just visit cities.

I love Montana, Wyoming, northern Idaho, but that is too much Real Winter for me.
I grew up in So CA and certainly understand your preferences. I am pretty much land-locked in KS and very much miss the ocean/mountains. If I were able to afford to move back to CA, it would be around the SLO area or further north. And I would not be content in a large metropolis.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,958,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
A list of locations by themselves is nothing more than someone else's opinion and priorities.

To find the right place for an individual or family it is important to have a list of requirements in priority order and a list of deal breakers. You will be surprised how quickly you can sort through a list of places once you have the list.

Once you have a short list of locations that meet your needs it is advisable to visit to evaluate in person. There may be things you really like or dislike that you did not consider on the priority list.

My wife and I went through this process over a year and found a location we never expected that suits us very well. I know others have done the same thing with good results.

Don't use someone else’s priorities or spend your time and money trying places before you do a reasonable study.

I completely agree with you! Asheville often appears as one of the top retirement meccas, so we visited Asheville twice and could not for the life of us figure out why we would want to move to Asheville....same with Prescott and Winston/Salem...everyone has their own likes and dislikes and happiness criteria - so far we have found a couple of places we really love - Louisville, KY and Williamsburg, VA - neither of which appear very often on any lists.....figure out what you want and then start visiting places that seem to fit the bill....visiting in person is a must.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,581 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
....visiting in person is a must.
I might add that it helps to be a resident for awhile too, and to visit at different times of year. House sit / share, rent a furnished apartment. But spend some serious time there, and get out on the streets during the commute, and witness a few extreme weather events (wind, freezing rain, tornadoes, hail, heat...). It is often the case that we visit during the 'prime' weather, and while visiting we are not fighting 7AM and 5PM traffic. Do plenty of walking or biking, as if you would be doing when living there. Something that really ticks me off is inconsiderate and aggressive drivers. So... when I'm out weedeating my roadside ditch bank at my current location, less than 20% of the 50 MPH cars will give me a courtesy space (we have a very open sight distance, no reason not to allow space.). It wasn't like that in my previous locale, where most drivers moved over at least 5 ft, whether you were biking, walking or weedeating. Thus "I'm outta here", as physical therapy is not that fun if you get hit. We've been rear ended 3x in 2 yrs by aggressive cell phone talking SUV's (after 35 yrs accident free - including a few million miles as commercial driver)

As mentioned, each person will need to weigh the benefits, as all have our 'quirks'

Old 08-24-2007, 03:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,581 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
The west has a different feel - ...
Check out a few of the 'banana belts' in each state.
i.e. Plains, MT ; Powell / Sheridan, WY (not so sure of ID, but I'd be looking SE of Moscow) (Kettle Falls, WA is pretty mild too, and close to mtns, and great camping in BC.

Find a sunny, south facing hillside, on the storm shadow side of a mtn range. Hopefully there are some spots that will fit. I'd do that search via the county extension / weather maps, and look at temps, rainfall, winds, and solar days. You can start by finding heavy fruit producing regions. I rode my bike to work everyday but 3 the last year I lived in Colorado, but.... here in the PNW... my bike riding is very limited, even tho temps are milder, weather is not great.

Good luck.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,249,162 times
I found yet another list of best cities for seniors. If you are interested you can read about it here Best Cities for Seniors - Yahoo! Real Estate

The top ten are:

Portland, OR
Seattle, WA
San Francisco, CA
Pittsburgh, PA
Milwaukee, WI
Philadelphia, PA
New York, NY
Boston, MA
Cincinnati, OH
Chicago, IL

Although these places may be alright for some I'd prefer a smaller city.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Check out a few of the 'banana belts' in each state.
i.e. Plains, MT ; Powell / Sheridan, WY (not so sure of ID, but I'd be looking SE of Moscow) (Kettle Falls, WA is pretty mild too, and close to mtns, and great camping in BC.
Good luck.
We looked in:
Idaho - Boise, McCall, Twin Falls, Pocatello
Utah - Moab (which I still love, despite Real Winter AND Real Summer and the entirely tourist-based economy), St. George.
Colorado - Grand Junction, Fruita, Durango, Cortez - we have family in Denver and Fort Collins.
New Mexico - Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos and a few small towns in between.
Montana - Boseman, Helena.
Arizona - Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson
California - Redding, Chico, Paradise, Susanville, Oroville, Carson City, Nevada
Washington - Goldendale, Yakima, Wenatchee, Walla Walla, Lewiston/Clarkston, Pullman/Moscow.
Wyoming: Cody, Jackson (ha!)
Oregon - Medford, Ashland, Grant's Pass, La Grande, Joseph, Bend, Redmond, Prineville, La Pine, Klamath Falls.

All of them looked good on paper (some more than others), but, even just visiting there were a few which screamed "no!" - since I was willing to move to California, tax consequences are obviously not the highest thing on my list. More sun, less wet were pretty high. We finally settled on Klamath Falls, way out of town, which, while not perfect, satisfied a bunch of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or