U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:08 PM

823 posts, read 3,373,852 times

Advertisements

PNW,

What didn't you like about Prescott, Albuquerque and Grants Pass? They along with Reno are on our list.

When you said looked in do you mean you visited these places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 08:04 PM

7,287 posts, read 15,339,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
PNW,

What didn't you like about Prescott, Albuquerque and Grants Pass? They along with Reno are on our list.

When you said looked in do you mean you visited these places?
We visited every place on the list, several of them more than once.

Of all the places on your list, Prescott was the one we liked the best, but there were several things that weighed against it.

On the plus - the weather was gorgeous, it has a nice downtown, good grocery stores (including a big organics/health store), good medical facilities, interesting terrain/geology. Far enough, commute time, from Phoenix that it'll never really be a suburb.

The bad - very expensive (almost California-level expensive), most available housing was in subdivisions, and gated subdivisions at that, which we weren't interested in. Land/houses with an acre or two tended to be either up above 6'000 elevation, or out of town to the north or northeast. Water is a big problem, and will continue to be a bigger and bigger problem. The percentage of retirees to working people is high, and parts of town definitely have a "retirement community" feel. Also, once you get down out of the mountains, it's a day's drive in any direction to get out of the desert (I like the high desert, but I'm not fond of the "low" desert) and into a different climate.

Albuquerque had a nice downtown, was a bigger city than we wanted, and, just driving through all the neighborhoods, an awful lot of houses have bars on the windows. Plus, although I've only been there twice, once in late fall and once in very early summer, the pollution was fairly bad and a state with an entirely "resource" economy (and coal at that) wasn't something we wanted.

The Grants Pass- Medford - Ashland corridor just seemed overpriced and not all that different from the Portland metro area - while it has more sun that the Willamette Valley, it didn't have quiet enough for me. I want that "% sun" figure about 50%, but I don't want summer temps much above the high 80s, and the whole Medford area can easily hit the high 90s and low hundreds.

I may find that I've ended up with too much "Real Winter" and snow in Klamath Falls: we'll see.

Other things that were important - that the city not be based on a single resource (timber, coal, tourists, retirees, gambling) and not be a too-small city that was basically just a stop on a major highway, but also not be a large city that sprawled on for miles and miles. I like cities, but I like visiting them more than I like living in them. Water shouldn't be already scarce so that the future of wells is in doubt.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 AM

823 posts, read 3,373,852 times
Thanks for the info. Other than Klamath Falls what other areas ended up high on your list and what are the pros and cons about them?

Old 08-26-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Thanks for the info. Other than Klamath Falls what other areas ended up high on your list and what are the pros and cons about them?
We also really liked Chico, CA - it's a college town, and has a walkable, fun downtown. There is also a wide range of housing - from gorgeous older places toward the town core to standard subdivisions to ranchettes and ranches. It's in California, so it's overpriced (if you're coming from anywhere outside of California or NYC) although not as bad as the rest of the state, but I liked the fact that it's off of I-5, close to the Sierras. It does get hot in the summer and have cold fog for a month or two in the winter.

Port Townsend was a favorite, too, but it's even further north than when I live now, so even grayer, darker winters. Ditto Victoria, BC, which we're also fond of.

Money no object? I'd have picked San Luis Obispo - I like the energy of college owns and the variety of culture. A large lot or acreage would not have been possible there.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:11 PM

34,669 posts, read 33,671,635 times
I guess the question is, "Would you choose your retirement destination based on his criteria?" or is something like this better for people who don't know where to start/don't know what they want?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:43 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,869,863 times
Default Create your OWN list!

The ONLY list that really matters is your own list, the one you create. The lists in the magazines, and websites are somebody else's list, based on their criteria, not yours. Several people mentioned making VISITS to the places you are considering, and I concur 110%! You gotta visit to get a feel for the real place, not the place in your imagination. Some of the places on your own list are likely to be very disappointing when you actually visit, and some of them will be pleasant surprises. As you travel from place to place, you are likely to discover some great places that weren't even on your list. Most importantly, enjoy the entire process of discovery. Make it an adventure!

blessings...Franco

Old 09-17-2007, 10:04 AM

Norm wrote:
All of these places were on my list at one time or another, and I have visited all of them. I'll go through them one by one and list the pros and cons according to my criteria:

Prescott
Pros: Beautiful environment, lots of New Age businesses including good helath food stores, plentiful hiking close by, great climate

Cons: very heavy traffic for a city of it's size, overpriced real estate prices

Albuquerque
Pros: University of New Mexico, great climate, Sandia Mountains on the edge of town

Cons: traffic, pollution, too big of a city for my taste

Reno
Pros: University of Nevada, Desert Research Institute, Truckee River flows throw town, proximity to Lake Tahoe, heavy..but flowing traffic

Cons: Overpriced Real Estate

Grants Pass, Medford, Ashland
Pros: great climate, outdoor activities easily accessible, ( Shakespeare Festival, New Age businesses, Southern Oregon University, hot springs in Ashland )

Cons: Overpriced Real Estate, not many good paying jobs

We ended up settling in Grand Junction, CO in July 2006

Grand Junction
Pros: Affordable real estate, stunning desert-mountain scenery, sunny dry climate albeit a bit too hot in July, nice downtown, abundance of outdoor activities in the immediate vicinity, fabulous getaways within a 2 hr drive, lots of locally grown fruit & produce, vineyards & wineries, Colorado National monument, an abundance of jobs..some of them with relatively decent pay, not yet one of the trendy places showing up on all the lists

Cons: growing quickly and not too smartly, certain parts of town have traffic issues, currently lots of highway projects, for the newcomer...real estate has crept up in price, likely to start showing up on the great places to live lists

I hope this is helpful.....Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-17-2007 at 10:13 AM..

Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,471,196 times
Two things I found out about two places.

We looked at St.George, Utah. There were, at the time, so many articles mentioning it. The houses we were shown had many small bedrooms - we only speculated that some LDS(Mormon) families may have lived in them with lots of children.

We also found out that people in this town (and I guess desert towns, in general) had to fumigate their homes every 3 months for scorpions and snakes. In some places they hose down the outer circumfrance of the house each morning because the summer heat actually pulls so much moisture from the bricks that they start to disintegrate, with the weight of the houses on top of them.

We love our cat, and could not see him (or us) living there.

We are not church-going people.

We found out that Pittsburgh, being relatively safe, having a large retired population and a very low cost of living with museums and a great school, sounded so good.
We then found out it has the largest church attendence in the country. I think there are a lot of old world Catholics there.

This would be just ideal for a lot of people, but we would fit in better with agnostics, atheists, or new age types.

The preponderance of religious believers, especially if in one, main faith, says something about the psychic atmosphere of a place to us.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 PM

I looked at Grand Junction and Fruita (I preferred Fruita), but finally decided that I didn't like the very windy treeless plateaus that make up most of the area, plus the winter lows and the summer highs were a bit more extreme than I was looking for. Temperature-wise, it's not that different from where I picked, and it does have a slightly longer growing season, but it would be colder and slightly snowier in the winter.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:05 PM

PNW-type-gal wrote:
I looked at Grand Junction and Fruita (I preferred Fruita), but finally decided that I didn't like the very windy treeless plateaus that make up most of the area
Last winter, at least, I was pleasantly surprised that wind was NOT an issue like I though it might be. I can remember only a few occassions hiking on the trails of the very open and exposed BLM land when the wind was really annoying. There is actually alot more wind just about anywhere in the city of Virginia Beach where I lived previously. At times, along the oceanfront it was absolutely intolerable.

BTW, Fruita is growing even faster than Grand Junction, so apparently you are not the only person who prefers Fruita. However, Fruita has some serious growth problems that it has to deal with...AND...most of the jobs for Fruita residents are located in Grand Junction. We seriously considered Fruita, but didn't want the hassle of driving to and from work 5 days a week. Instead convenience won out and we bought a home in Grand Junction. Thus far, we are very happy that we did.

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-17-2007 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or