U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,877,837 times

Advertisements

nancy thereader wrtote:
It's a great site, but I think that the housing prices may be a bit out of date, though.
The **** reports make every place seem like paradise. Take everything you read with a grain of salt and think of it like you are reading a city visitors bureau brochure. I agree that the housing info is usually a few years behind. But all things considered, it's a good place to start gathering information and getting ideas about locations that you might be interested in. I highly recommend the site.

blessings....Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:57 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
"Find Your Spot" has suggested that I might like Worcester, MA, or Nashua, NH- both about 40-minute drive from where I now live. Go figure.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,826,958 times
Just my two cents, but I try to AVOID any place that makes it onto one of thoses lists. I've been reading these "top ten" lists for about 12 years now, and I've noticed that the places that were heavily praised a decade ago are now over-run and over-priced. Asheville, NC is a perfect example. IMO, by the time a place is well-enough known to make it onto one of the lists, it's just about to stop being a paradise.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
I figure that, any place I've heard of or liked, it's too late- everyone else has, too. (See Under: 1970s, Santa Fe and Bath, Maine, with Boulder etc. in consideration. Ah, one's 20s).
I think most places are overrun. There are just too many people. If the U.S. population went from 200 million to 300 mil, where are all these people living?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:30 PM

"I think most places are overrun."

Thank you, thank you, thank you for saying that. It's nice to read a comment that is grounded in reality. It's amazing how many people move to a place, and a few years later they are whining about how "we've got to stop all these people from buying/building more houses!" Apparently once people move to a place, they expect (and demand) that it stay the same from that on. They rail against farmers who dare sell the land that they own (even though the complainers never offer to buy that land themselves, so they can keep it undeveloped).

I love how people gripe that "it's all about money" when in fact it's all about a population that keeps growing and people needing a place to live.

I can sympathize with the complainers--I like seeing open countryside, too. I like taking a Sunday drive through undeveloped areas. But it's not realistic to gripe about homes being built or that people move to pretty places, or places where jobs are, or places that have a safe environment for children. The end result--the "nice" areas will continually grow and be developed. It's a given, so why waste time railing against it? Instead, find ways to work with the inevitabilities of life.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:33 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,481,392 times
When I was working I would check out these sites, look up property on Realtor.com - you used to be able to pull up zips on the basis of low crime rate.

Everytime I found my 'heaven', shortly after the property values would skyrocket and I would end up searching for another.

I did think that finding an interesting city, and then looking for burbs built around it that were reasonsable safe was a way of searching. This way I was finding places that were not on those lists.

I remember when there was such a flood of people running to those DelWebb communities. That seemed to end soon.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:37 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
We bought 42 acres of forest with 1/4 mile of river frontage for $35k.

Our annual property taxes are $47.

We are living in a new house that we are building.

I really like rural Maine, for retirement.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,877,837 times
I had a temporary duty assignment at Loring AFB in northern Aroostook county. I was there from June thru Augsut. I absolutely loved the time I spent there. Also had a chance to visit Baxter State Park which is a truly incredible place. After I got out of the Air Force, I mdae a visit to Farmington Maine in January. It was cold and snowy, not quite as nice as Maine in the summer.

Sounds like you have a great piece of land forest beekeeper. How long ago did you buy it at that price, and where are you located?

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-04-2007 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: spelling again!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:40 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
I bought in 2005.

So far having lived through two Maine winters, we had to use a snow shovel only during this past winter. We never even took it out during our first winter.

Once a week a 4 - 8 inch snow 'dump', followed by a week of sun-shine, which melts most of it away. Our driveway is 300' long and straight, I drive up and down the driveway a dozen times, which packs the snow down, and for most snow storms is enough to keep our driveway passable.

This past winter we did get one snow dump of 12 inches. And we did have to spend a morning with shovels and snow thrower to clear our driveway. Most of our neighbors have one 4X4 pick-up with a blade and those pick-ups are only used clearing their driveways. Otherwise they never move.

We keep two kayaks in the water tied up behind our house. We have moose and deer on our land most every day. The wild turkey flocks here are huge and a traffic hazard. I have had to stop for beaver twice. Beaver drag trees across the roads. They are very determined, and if you chase them away, they will return shortly. So it is faster to just grab the tree and assist the beaver to drag it across the road. Both times that I have done this, the beaver did not hesitate to let me help him.

Problem is, the beavers are big enough that to hit one would total a car. So it is better to stop for them.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:23 AM

I guess that would explain the number of places named "Beaver-damn"
:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or