U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:57 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,454,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I completely agree with you! Asheville often appears as one of the top retirement meccas, so we visited Asheville twice and could not for the life of us figure out why we would want to move to Asheville....same with Prescott and Winston/Salem...everyone has their own likes and dislikes and happiness criteria - so far we have found a couple of places we really love - Louisville, KY and Williamsburg, VA - neither of which appear very often on any lists.....figure out what you want and then start visiting places that seem to fit the bill....visiting in person is a must.
curious -you left out WHY you didn't like Asheville and what you liked about Louisville KY..I don't get Asheville either - it's polluted and over priced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 01:55 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
I tried the find your spot site but for me, it doesn't ask the right questions and suggests places I don't want at all.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times
Our annual property taxes are $47.

That is just shocking. Lots of people on Long Island pay that much for one DAY'S property tax !!!! yes, that would be about $20 k a year, not unheard of .

Old 11-01-2007, 05:07 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Our annual property taxes are $47.

That is just shocking. Lots of people on Long Island pay that much for one DAY'S property tax !!!! yes, that would be about $20 k a year, not unheard of .
LOL

I get 42 acres of forest for that, 1/4 mile of riverfrontage, maintained paved road with phone / power and DSL we are just too far out to have city water or sewage.

On the back of our property we cross this creek:

To get to this river:

So what is Long Island like?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times
Did you say you have 42 acres of land? Wow! Long Island ? Not too great, unfortunately. How lucky to have all that beautiful land. Is it very cold, though, in the winter?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:49 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
We were living in Ct, when I bought this land. The local temps generally track about two to three degrees cooler than Ct. I am thinking that the temps of Long Island must track fairly close to those temps experienced in Ct.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 AM

55 posts, read 192,967 times
This has been a great thread and I have enjoyed reading all of the interesting suggestions on great places to live.

Two thoughts: One poster got my attention when he/she bashed Pittsburgh! I went to college near there a few lifetimes ago and it was OK then, but way better now. IMHO the Steel City has a few charms no other place can match: it is a very economical place to live offering great value, it has some lovely neighborhoods including some in a university environment, and finally, it offers big city attractions with a small town feel (of course it also has the Pirates and the Steelers!) Here's my review if you are interested: Best Pittsburgh active adult retirement communities

Secondly, some posters here have said that, like me, they enjoy reading about other great places to live. You might enjoy my newsletter where i typically review 3-4 communities per week. Here is the latest issue (featuring Costa Rica!) Best active adult retirement communities - Topretirements.com

Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 AM

823 posts, read 3,374,690 times
somwhathip,

I just signed up for your newsletter and I recommend it to everyone that is looking for a place to retire to.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 PM

305 posts, read 1,532,631 times
somewhathip

I just signed up for your newsletter also!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:27 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somwhathip View Post
This has been a great thread and I have enjoyed reading all of the interesting suggestions on great places to live.

Secondly, some posters here have said that, like me, they enjoy reading about other great places to live. You might enjoy my newsletter where i typically review 3-4 communities per week. Here is the latest issue (featuring Costa Rica!) Best active adult retirement communities - Topretirements.com
I tried to register, but received no email to activate my account, so I am in retirement limbo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or