U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,925,014 times

Advertisements

I went from branch manager to a reference job in the library. I started out as part time in a small library and the job went to full time and then it began to take over my life. I explained to the director that I had never intended to be a career person and the job I took was to just keep me busy, but it had begun to be more than I wanted to deal with and I had a life outside the library. He pulled me into the main library and I found I hated that, so I went back out into a branch as a reference person. Helping people find the information they needed was always my favorite part of the job. I enjoy doing a little of that on city-data too. This is my volunteer retirement service to the public. Now what do you want to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,704 posts, read 40,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
...Helping people find the information they needed was always my favorite part of the job. ... This is my volunteer retirement service to the public. Now what do you want to know?
A comprehensive and accurate way to determine regional cost of living as a retiree.
Seems many of us suffer from deprivation in this subject
We would like some examples for NORMAL retirees (Shoestring finances, not Forbes or Money readers.)
Also including some 'end-of-life' costs and options (hint: some states are VERY restrictive in corpse handling (NE), others let you 'plant-on-site', no embalming or casket required)

not here
Taxes by State (dated)
or here
The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > State Tax and Spending Policy (http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/9.html - broken link) (too general)
or here...
CNN/Money: Taxes state by state (forgot property tax, which is 10x my current food bill)
The best and worst states for taxes - MSN Money (MSN... concentration on 'sin' taxes... not too senior centric)

Try to convince C-D to add a data-base like a wiki, and we can fill in the dots.& date (local tax rates (sales, income, property, personal property, vehicle license fees, any other local 'tax' incurred in life...), senior / homestead exemptions, insurance rates, housing cast index, cost of eggs and milk, gallon of gas, teeth cleaning / dentures, medical exam, assisted living and skilled care expenses, end of life costs...)

Old 01-01-2010, 12:53 PM

5,852 posts, read 8,627,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I have spoken to people that are at the top or near the top of their profession and some has mentioned that if they could afford it, or once their kids are grown up, or once they have paid off their homes they would downgrade to a lower position and less pay to not deal with job related stress.

Has anyone who has retired or nearing retirement voluntarily changed jobs or positions with less responsibilities and less pay to enjoy a better quality of life even though they had anywhere between 5-10 years left to retirement but did not want to deal with overseeing a company, or supervise an operation or something similiar.

It seems that higher positions and higher earnings is great up to a certain point. That point is different for many people. Some people who have lots of money invested and have big savings can more easily take a pay cut than someone that doesn't have a bank roll. Again, there are those that not only care about the money but thrive in being in a high level position for status, or they enjoy the challenge of work etc.

I will be interested in hearing different opinions RE: this topic.
I'm interested to hear the comments too. This is something I would like to do.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,704 posts, read 40,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'm interested to hear the comments too. This is something I would like to do.
I've had several supervisor friends who relinquished their 'people' mgmt roles late in careers to 'go-back-to-the-floor' and mentor.
  • One friend that took a job as 'grounds-keeper' on High Tech Campus (company allowed him 2 yrs at same pay, so you can bet he enjoyed sitting on a John Deere for his last two yrs!).
  • The manager that hired me into a production job, took a position as caretaker of our companies nearby 2,000 acre ranch for his last 2 yrs (And ended up staying 7, then 'transitioning' to island caretaker for a "Rich&Famous", who only showed up once every 2-3 yrs
  • Some co-workers shifted to 'travel' jobs when near retirement (and took spouse with (own dime, of course, but free lodging))
The ultimate were a group of engineer guys who took severance, then came back as 'job sharing' with 6-9 months / yr for fishing. I think this aided in their 'transition' to retirement

Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,730,525 times
In the last company I worked at, it was real common for senior sales execs to "step down" to regional sales management positions in retirement havens like FL & AZ. The company would relo them to their location of choice, then they would leave after 2 years. Then wash, rinse. repeat.

It was the Sales VP's way of helping out his favorites.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 PM

5,260 posts, read 8,453,388 times
Default I did it

In 1998 at age 54, I was "downsized"/RIFed as a sales support engineer with 30 years exp. earning $80K/yr. I decided then to not pursue the old career. I went thru 3 $21K jobs (courier, parts clerk, order entry clerk) in 24 months before finding the "perfect" position as parts inventory clerk at car dealer 1 mile from home. No travel, no phones, no customer contact are best parts of job. Started in 2000 at $16K, up to $32K now at age 65. Was on COBRA for first year, then dealer's plan, now Medicare. What has made it work is no debts at all, inexpensive lifestyle and $500k in IRAs as backup. Yearly expenses about $14K. House and cars paid off. I can even save some pay , and have not started SS yet. The one event that was certainly not planned was my wife passing in 2004. Which caused some expenses such as income tax to go up . I plan on about another year before relocating out of state to be near daughter & family. My FRA is 66, but currently hope to wait til 70 to start SS at max benefit.

If you can manage the finances, go for it

Old 01-16-2010, 12:41 PM

28 posts, read 79,471 times
Well, since I last posted about having to retire early, I started a new job all the way in Germany. I applied to 152 positions and not one of them in the U.S. offered me a job. The one I got is a federal govt. job, allowing me to stay employed until I can retire, but not in the U.S. I was at my wit's end towards the last month of employment with my job in California, but now I'm back in the saddle working on an army base in Stuttgart, Germany. I am so thankful for this great opportunity! Now, I have to figure out where I will retire when I can, back in the states.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:30 PM

15,151 posts, read 19,817,023 times
Congrats, Arabian!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:03 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,639,196 times
Actually, I'm somewhat in that position. I would like to 'pre-retire' in the next 2 years and leave my high-paying, high-stress corporate job behind. But before I make that decision, I want to have next to no bills. Just imagine the freedom you could have with no credit cards, no car payment and best of all, no mortgage. In a low cost of living area you could live quite nicely on a $10/hour job. Then when you're eligibile for SS you can likely fully retire if you choose. It's just something I'm kicking around and in the mean time aggressively reducing debt and paying off bills.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:39 PM

37,216 posts, read 45,778,801 times
My husband did this. He had his own business for 25 years, but when it was apparent that none of the children would come into the business, he had no employees with management potential, and that he would need to expand or perish, he realized that he wanted out.
He went to work as a sales rep for a national company, which should have been his dream job, but unfortunately it has not worked out that way in the present economy.
We led an extremely comfortable life style for many years, but now are barely scraping by. Thank goodness we put some money away when we had it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement