U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,289,818 times

Advertisements

For those who have retired and work part-time, how did you find your jobs?

I have found that many of the on-line applications for major employers have spyware attached to them, and I don't want to put out my SS#, DOB on a site that is not secure. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 AM

11,286 posts, read 11,306,012 times
The safest approach is NEVER but NEVER use the Internet where you have to put out sensitive info such as SS#, DOB, bank account #'s, or use passwords to access accounts. It's too risky. Several people have found their checking accounts emptied because bad people were able to infiltrate their computers.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:16 PM

296 posts, read 731,005 times
So people shouldn't do on-line banking???

Old 12-11-2009, 03:10 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,894,605 times
I've been banking and paying bills online for years and never had a problem. I only had one small instance of an identity theft and that was when I called in to activate a credit card using a cordless phone and the number got intercepted.
Just make sure the site you're providing the info on is secure. There are a couple of ways to tell that:
1. look for the http: in the URL to change to https:
That means they have a security certificate and it's active.
2. Look for the little padlock in the lower right hand corner.
3. Never, ever provide information after you've clicked on a link in an e-mail. Always type in the site directly or use your own bookmarked links.
These are the FBIs internet crime prevention tips:
Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Prevention Tips (http://www.ic3.gov/preventiontips.aspx - broken link)
And make sure you've got firewalls and good security in place on your computer. It's the cyber equivalent of deadbolt locks on your physical doors.
I feel a lot more secure online than having physical pieces of paper floating around strangers with my data on it.

To get back to the OPs original question, I've had good luck with Craigs list, but you do need to be careful and use common sense. You might also want to set up a separate e-mail account to use just for those. Lots of scams but there are some legitimate jobs in there.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 12-11-2009 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 04:12 PM

51 posts, read 100,019 times
2010 Census is looking for good people.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM

6,977 posts, read 12,517,527 times
I had rented a car and when I returned it, one of their drivers drove me home. He was an older man and I asked him about his job of driving cars around. He told me where to apply which was at the airport. I put in the application and 3 1/2 years later I am still at this part time job. Right now it is very difficult and my hours are being cut constantly due to this slowdown in business. I still have the job though 3 days a week and I am at work at 7AM tomorrow.

Part time jobs can be far and few between for anyone, but for the retired person even in thier late 50's they can be almost nonexistant. Belive me their are many employers that will just bypass your application. I found very few options for employment here in Portland, and was very lucky to have stumbled on this rental car job. I had been looking for sometime and had found nothing. Good Luck.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:34 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,714,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I had rented a car and when I returned it, one of their drivers drove me home. He was an older man and I asked him about his job of driving cars around. He told me where to apply which was at the airport. I put in the application and 3 1/2 years later I am still at this part time job. Right now it is very difficult and my hours are being cut constantly due to this slowdown in business. I still have the job though 3 days a week and I am at work at 7AM tomorrow.

Part time jobs can be far and few between for anyone, but for the retired person even in thier late 50's they can be almost nonexistant. Belive me their are many employers that will just bypass your application. I found very few options for employment here in Portland, and was very lucky to have stumbled on this rental car job. I had been looking for sometime and had found nothing. Good Luck.
I'm surprised that Portland would be that hard to find a part time job. It's a huge city! I live in a town of about 20,000 and, while employers seem to prefer young people, I didn't have a problem finding part time. I worked the front desk of a local motel and then went to the Breakfast Room. I only worked about 4 hours a day and was home by 10 AM...or shortly after. We only have one car rental place in town and I don't think they have any employee turnover. I quit my part time job three months ago because I had to get off my feet and NOW I know I'll have a heckuva time finding another one! I'm 67 and they sure don't want me.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 PM

6,977 posts, read 12,517,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm surprised that Portland would be that hard to find a part time job. It's a huge city! I live in a town of about 20,000 and, while employers seem to prefer young people, I didn't have a problem finding part time. I worked the front desk of a local motel and then went to the Breakfast Room. I only worked about 4 hours a day and was home by 10 AM...or shortly after. We only have one car rental place in town and I don't think they have any employee turnover. I quit my part time job three months ago because I had to get off my feet and NOW I know I'll have a heckuva time finding another one! I'm 67 and they sure don't want me.

Portland is difficult to find a job for anyone. It is second only to Detroit in Unemployment. The state as a whole has numerous smaller communites where its up at 20%. Portland is actually not that big a city for big cities that is. It also is a youth magnet city, and their numbers outnumber a older person by 10 to 1. Combine all the young people and the very large immigrant population here. Jobs are ridiculously difficult to find in Portland or Oregon for that matter. There is little industry here and all and all its always been a difficult town for employement. I would not live here if I was a young guy looking to build a career.

Another way the older person can find employment is go thru AARP. If there is an office in your area most AARP have a program for the senior person. Im not sure how it works. They are in contact with employers that hire and are able to place the senior for minimum wage and sometimes a little higher into a job.

The Rental car industry basically is doing no hiring. It was bad enough with the slowdown, and now the Toyota recalls have so many of our cars sitting in a parking lot. There are close to 300 of them sitting in the lot where I work waiting for the recall work to be done.

Good Luck if you decide to work part time again. Maybe the grocery stores hire now and then.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:16 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,714,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Portland is difficult to find a job for anyone. It is second only to Detroit in Unemployment. The state as a whole has numerous smaller communites where its up at 20%. Portland is actually not that big a city for big cities that is. It also is a youth magnet city, and their numbers outnumber a older person by 10 to 1. Combine all the young people and the very large immigrant population here. Jobs are ridiculously difficult to find in Portland or Oregon for that matter. There is little industry here and all and all its always been a difficult town for employement. I would not live here if I was a young guy looking to build a career.

Another way the older person can find employment is go thru AARP. If there is an office in your area most AARP have a program for the senior person. Im not sure how it works. They are in contact with employers that hire and are able to place the senior for minimum wage and sometimes a little higher into a job.

The Rental car industry basically is doing no hiring. It was bad enough with the slowdown, and now the Toyota recalls have so many of our cars sitting in a parking lot. There are close to 300 of them sitting in the lot where I work waiting for the recall work to be done.

Good Luck if you decide to work part time again. Maybe the grocery stores hire now and then.
I had heard that Oregon employment was pretty bad. My son just moved back to Klamath Falls from the Portland area because he couldn't find anything either. My daughter is in Medford and works for a motel chain. They always seem to be hiring because people still travel. That's probably what I'll try to go back to when I get ready to go back to the ratrace. Or one of the many tourist venues around here.

We don't have an AARP office here. We're 'boonies'. Phoenix has one, no doubt, but I don't think I'd like to commute to Phoenix. I will take a peek online though and see what's what. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:31 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,722,260 times
Portland's employment situation is so bad that many have to take one or two part time jobs in lieu of full time. For the first time ever, I am seeing people over 40 working at places like McDonalds which is normally occupied by young first time job seekers.

And the age discrimination is extreme. If you're over 50, you are pretty much out of luck in the job market. That's why I am moving in a couple of years. I'll need a part-time job to supplement Medicare when I retire and I don't even want to begin trying to find one here. I've been out of work too many times in this town due to layoffs and finding a new one was more and more difficult each time.

My present employer used to hire part timers and I was going to just switch from full time when I retired. But they no longer do that. Instead they hire temps, keep them for the contracted time and then let them go and hire new employees in their place. That way they get out out giving them benefits.

But to address the OP's comments. You should never be asked for your social security number by a prospective employer until he or she has actually hired you and needs your SS number for your W2 form. Also, I do on-line banking and have been "phished" three times. Each time I knew the situation was not on the up and up when I was asked for either my SS or my PIN number. My bank assured me they would never ask for either an SS number or a PIN number over the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or