U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 PM

29,779 posts, read 34,867,277 times

Advertisements

Merry Christmas folks, enjoy the real meaning of why we celebrate this time of year around the world and across faiths and cultures.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Sorry to disappoint those of you who have erroneously labeled me a liberal, but I don't believe that the government should be giving "a 34 year old mentally disabled son" any money period much less a cost of living adjustment. The son's family should be providing to him, not the government.
Many times because of the time commitment needed to care of a disabled child the opportunity for work isn't there. Increased expenses and greater time obligation to care for has minimized the career opportunities of many.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:32 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
As I said in my previous post, I respect many government employees but there are others who get much more and contribute less or nothing. Which one are you???
Yep, you nailed me. I have been contributing less or nothing for over 31 years. Nevermind the fact that I normally work 50-55+ hours/week, but get paid for 40. Nevermind the fact that all during this holiday season I am working 12-14 hour days to keep our office functioning and our projects on schedule so that others in the office could take time off to be with their families.

And speaking of families.....

I'm sorry that you think that I am a leech and a lowlife because I believe that families, and not the federal government, should be caring and providing for their own family members.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:10 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,057,486 times
Quote:
Yep, you nailed me. I have been contributing less or nothing for over 31 years. Nevermind the fact that I normally work 50-55+ hours/week, but get paid for 40. Nevermind the fact that all during this holiday season I am working 12-14 hour days to keep our office functioning and our projects on schedule so that others in the office could take time off to be with their families.

I'm sorry that you think that I am a leech and a lowlife because I believe that families, and not the federal government, should be caring and providing for their own family members.
Federal employees and retirees are the new kicking post these days. People forget the term "Civil Service," or "Public Servant." People who take these jobs do so to serve, the pay is stable but you'll never be rich. Our rewards come at the end.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Federal employees and retirees are the new kicking post these days. People forget the term "Civil Service," or "Public Servant." People who take these jobs do so to serve, the pay is stable but you'll never be rich. Our rewards come at the end.
I really believe that part of the problem is retired government workers who are transplants. Especially federal employees. Pensions for federal workers in the DC area are based on one of the highest costs of living in the country. Pensions are based on salary and that buying power is often then transported to less expensive areas of the country. State employees in high income states make more on average than state employees in lower income states. Yet when we retire we bring a pension based on our previous cost of living and not our new one. That can create resentment when we drive prices up and have a life style much better one who works and retires in the new location can. We have driven up housing prices etc etc etc. Remember it is the worker in the lower cost state who is also being taxed to provide our higher cost state salary and pension.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:49 PM

7,185 posts, read 2,754,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Pensions for federal workers in the DC area are based on one of the highest costs of living in the country.
Not exactly. Just glanced at the locality pay tables at OPM's website. The difference between the locality pay for "rest of US" - meaning the bulk of the country, in 2009 was 13.86%. DC area was 23.10%, less than 10% higher. Not that huge a difference.

San Jose/San Fransisco was 34.35%, LA 26.51%, Chicago 24.47%, Seattle 21.06%, Atlanta 18.55%, and Detroit (wow, I gotta move there, I can get a great house for $500 or so and really take advantage of the difference) was a whopping 23.56% (you do notice, that is higher than DC ).

I really don't think an equivalent DC employee is going to have that huge a pension compared to mine, based on less than 10% of our high three. Where the DC employee has the advantage is that, according to the feds in the rest of the country, the grades in DC are artificially inflated, so a job that is a 12 or 13 in the hinterlands is a 14 or 15, or even an SES, in DC.

And another thing - the worker in the lower paying state probably pays less in taxes than the worker in the higher paying state, so I think it all evens out.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:46 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,547,490 times
Quote:

No I do not think that you are a leech or a lowlife but if you are going to hold the view of families should support their own, then the same question can be asked why your family does not support you in your early and late retirement. Do not forget before social security was implemented in 1936, that was the case. So you are benefiting from the advances in our society in taking care of the elderly.

You complain about other receiving sustenance from the mother of social support, US Social Security and Federal Monies, but you are also sucking on the other nipple.

I have not made a judgment on your benefits nor have I said that you have contributed next or nothing. You have stated that you have worked hard for 31 years and that is honorable, for you are own judge.

I know and you know that many workers, public and private, contribute next or nothing and may have 30 years of experience, that is 1 year of experience multiplied 30 times, with no increasing contributions. Again, I am less troubled because I know that there are many others, like yourself, who have contributed much more in time, effort with less compensation.

So, I have to say, thank you for your contributions to our American society.

Livecontent

Old 12-25-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Not exactly. Just glanced at the locality pay tables at OPM's website. The difference between the locality pay for "rest of US" - meaning the bulk of the country, in 2009 was 13.86%. DC area was 23.10%, less than 10% higher. Not that huge a difference.

San Jose/San Fransisco was 34.35%, LA 26.51%, Chicago 24.47%, Seattle 21.06%, Atlanta 18.55%, and Detroit (wow, I gotta move there, I can get a great house for $500 or so and really take advantage of the difference) was a whopping 23.56% (you do notice, that is higher than DC ).

I really don't think an equivalent DC employee is going to have that huge a pension compared to mine, based on less than 10% of our high three. Where the DC employee has the advantage is that, according to the feds in the rest of the country, the grades in DC are artificially inflated, so a job that is a 12 or 13 in the hinterlands is a 14 or 15, or even an SES, in DC.

And another thing - the worker in the lower paying state probably pays less in taxes than the worker in the higher paying state, so I think it all evens out.
I wasn't comparing federal employee in one area to federal employee in another area. But public employee in high cost area with pension to a non pension or minimal pension person in the area they transplant to. Their non pension new neighbor is paying taxes to support their pension.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:02 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I really believe that part of the problem is retired government workers who are transplants. Especially federal employees. Pensions for federal workers in the DC area are based on one of the highest costs of living in the country. Pensions are based on salary and that buying power is often then transported to less expensive areas of the country. State employees in high income states make more on average than state employees in lower income states. Yet when we retire we bring a pension based on our previous cost of living and not our new one. That can create resentment when we drive prices up and have a life style much better one who works and retires in the new location can. We have driven up housing prices etc etc etc. Remember it is the worker in the lower cost state who is also being taxed to provide our higher cost state salary and pension.
That would be us and we make no apologies for it. Providing there's somewhere else you'd enjoy, moving from a high COL area to a lower one to maximise the retirement dollars simply makes good financial sense.

For the record, we did NOT drive up housing costs, nor do we maintain a style of living that is likely to attract notice.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That would be us and we make no apologies for it. Providing there's somewhere else you'd enjoy, moving from a high COL area to a lower one to maximise the retirement dollars simply makes good financial sense.

For the record, we did NOT drive up housing costs, nor do we maintain a style of living that is likely to attract notice.
I am one also and yes we did drive up housing prices by contributing to demand. I make no apologies for being able to enjoy life. However I am becoming increasingly aware of how others react to us in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or