Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 PM

11,137 posts, read 15,902,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
The bill is not to give federal employees merit raises...
but cost of living raises.~
Federal employees do not receive cost-of-living raised (COLAs) based on the Consumer Price Index (inflation) and haven't since the early 1990s. They receive annual pay raises based on the ECI (Employment Cost Increase) which measures the average raises that private sector employees received during the preceding year. The pay raise (not COLA) for 2010 was supposed to be 2.4%, but Obama recommended, and Congress approved, a reduction to 2.0%. Here's a link that explains how it works:

Across-The-Board and Locality Adjustments

Even though federal employees don't receive COLAs anymore, the general public (and some Congressmen such as Steny Hoyer apparently) still refer to the outdated term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:43 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,881,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Federal employees do not receive cost-of-living raised (COLAs) based on the Consumer Price Index (inflation) and haven't since the early 1990s. They receive annual pay raises based on the ECI (Employment Cost Increase) which measures the average raises that private sector employees received during the preceding year. The pay raise (not COLA) for 2010 was supposed to be 2.4%, but Obama recommended, and Congress approved, a reduction to 2.0%. Here's a link that explains how it works:

Across-The-Board and Locality Adjustments

Even though federal employees don't receive COLAs anymore, the general public (and some Congressmen such as Steny Hoyer apparently) still refer to the outdated term.
Thanks for the post, it in someways is comparable to the misuse of the word bonus for many wall street employees when that is their basic salary. It makes for a great press however.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:48 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,339,201 times
~

Read the quote [below] from the topic article from Federal News Radio.
They use the term, "cost of living adjustment."

Quote:

House passes omnibus spending bill with pay raise, agency funding

December 11, 2009

... in the bill is a two percent pay raise for cost of living adjustment for federal employees...

Federal News Radio 1500 AM: House passes omnibus spending bill with pay raise, agency funding

~

Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,226,325 times
Quote:
~

The article is using incorrect terminology. Federal employees do not receive COLAs and their pay is not tied to the index the SS is. The average Fed. employee is both highly educated and skilled - much higher than the average population at large. Low skill/education jobs in the Fed. govt are mostly performed by contractors nowadays.

The index MadMan cited is based on the pay rates of the private sector for the same jobs and is now about 26% less than they get paid - even after the economic problems. Not once since the index was instituted has the Fed pay matched the index in any area of the country.

Last year and the 2 years before, the Fed pay raise was over a percentage point lower than the COLA received by SS recipients so even this tiny raise does not keep up with recent inflation. The military pay raise is a point higher than the Civil service for the first time ever. Why not complain about how highly paid they are?

As usual, a single pice of information compared to something not related is blown out of porportion and creates a false sense of outrage.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,418,353 times
Quote:
~

Yes, and they (and Steny Hoyer) are wrong. I know, I know - the press is hardly ever wrong, right?

COLA is for retirees.

Pay raise is for employees.

The pay raise is sometimes referred to as a pay adjustment, or a General Schedule increase, and is for current employees only (since us retired folks don't get paid, we can't get a pay raise, we get a cost of living adjustment).

For information about how the COLA is determined, see: U.S. Office of Personnel Management

For 2010, federal retirees get a 0.0% COLA, and federal employees get a 1.5% basic pay raise and a 0.5% locality pay raise.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,327,528 times
Why is everyone so interested in what someone else is or isn't getting?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,747,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Why is everyone so interested in what someone else is or isn't getting?
Because it's my tax dollars and I don't like to see them wasted.

I took a 45% pay cut this year with my new job when I lost my job last year. Has any federal employee ever had to do that?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 AM

11,137 posts, read 15,902,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Because it's my tax dollars and I don't like to see them wasted.

I took a 45% pay cut this year with my new job when I lost my job last year. Has any federal employee ever had to do that?
Yes.

Tens of thousands of federal employees have lost their jobs through reductions-in-force (RIFs) over the years.

So, you'll just have to direct your misplaced anger at some other target.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,327,528 times
My husband worked for the Fed Gov at a time when salaries were much lower, MUCH LOWER, than private industry and what kept him there was the promise of a good retirement. He was a grossly underpaid MBA who could have made double what he made on the outside. We have a term for what you're spewing, JS1. It's called 'pension envy'. And btw, the notion that Fed workers are lazy is ridiculous. I spent birthdays, Mother's Days, Halloweens, alone while my husband was working. He wasn't sneaking out early or at the golf course. He was the last one to leave his desk and a lot of times he had planes to catch on a Sunday. Most Federal retirees earned their benefits.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,306,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
My husband worked for the Fed Gov at a time when salaries were much lower, MUCH LOWER, than private industry and what kept him there was the promise of a good retirement. He was a grossly underpaid MBA who could have made double what he made on the outside. We have a term for what you're spewing, JS1. It's called 'pension envy'. And btw, the notion that Fed workers are lazy is ridiculous. I spent birthdays, Mother's Days, Halloweens, alone while my husband was working. He wasn't sneaking out early or at the golf course. He was the last one to leave his desk and a lot of times he had planes to catch on a Sunday. Most Federal retirees earned their benefits.
Thank you for that because it applies to all government workers. People too easily forget that members of the military, police, firefighters, etc. are government workers. As a government manager I was on-call 24/7, was often in early and out late, had call-backs that sometimes lasted from 9:00 p.m. until 3:00 a.m., worked many weekends and traveled extensively.

I won't apologize for my defined-benefit pension, Social Security income or my lifetime medical and dental coverage. I earned them, as did my wife, as do most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement